Brewer Fanatic

Where's Brian Anderson?

LMMCBrewer

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Lepay's great doing football and basketball on radio, but he's not good doing baseball on television. I'm thankful to have access to out of town telecasts.

Yeah, he's ......adequate for baseball, and that's really about it. Sometimes his homerun calls are strange.

"He lifts a flyball to left..............AND IT'S GONE!"

I understand that you as the viewer can see the action and the flight of the ball, but the tone of Lepay's voice usually provides very little information or indication of drama until it's already happened. I realize he's not a "baseball" guy, so often the things that are going on are probably not processing until they've happened, but it's still a (minor) gripe.

I really respect Lepay. He's never been a baseball guy, but from his very first game he has been a professional. Does his homework on Brewers history, whats going on the league, and yes even knows how to pronounce the players' names. His delivery isn't as polished as BA, but that's to be expected.

First game back and he talks endlessly about how long the game is going. I get that a five hour game is long, but he couldn't get off the topic last night (5/14). He makes it sound like it is such a chore for him and others at the ballpark to be there. I came home at 10 expecting the game ( and post game) to be well done, but I was excited to see some baseball with the Crew hitting in the bottom of the ninth (tied). Every two minutes he's bringing up how long the game is going with a burdensome tone.

Just now, while typing this (bottom 5th 5/15) he talks about last night as another "long night at the ballpark". First game back? Stay home, Anderson, or remember that your viewers are trying to enjoy the game, even if you have mailed it in early.

Do you think you were so eager to enjoy the game because you got to miss 3-4 hours of it? I think you're nitpicking what he was saying quite a bit, especially if he's been there for the entirety of a 5 hour contest while one of the complaints about the game today is the game is getting too long.

Now that he's back I'm reminded again of why I don't understand how people can enjoy him. He does nothing well other than not be annoying. Vanilla would call him bland

Shouldn't the play-by-play guy be bland? ;)

Rock brought it up as much as BA. They were half joking about it, I think you read a bit too much into it.

The radio team talked about it a lot as well. There were several jokes about the west coast games all being done before a 6:10 start in Milwaukee. And Andy Grammer having to wait forever to start his post-game show.

• 1 year later...
First game back and he talks endlessly about how long the game is going. I get that a five hour game is long, but he couldn't get off the topic last night (5/14). He makes it sound like it is such a chore for him and others at the ballpark to be there. I came home at 10 expecting the game ( and post game) to be well done, but I was excited to see some baseball with the Crew hitting in the bottom of the ninth (tied). Every two minutes he's bringing up how long the game is going with a burdensome tone.

Just now, while typing this (bottom 5th 5/15) he talks about last night as another "long night at the ballpark". First game back? Stay home, Anderson, or remember that your viewers are trying to enjoy the game, even if you have mailed it in early.

Quoting myself from roughly a year ago....again, first game back and he keeps talking about length of game! He couldn't stop if he tried! Seriously, keep track of how much he talks about pace of play, length of game, breaks in play, mound very sits, etc. I know there is horrible weather at the game today; still, I don't need to be reminded how awful it is to be working a long MLB game. It's like it's small torture for the man to sit thru a 3 hour plus game.

I am not calling for a replacement, just change of talking points.

Now that he's back I'm reminded again of why I don't understand how people can enjoy him. He does nothing well other than not be annoying. Vanilla would call him bland

I don't understand it either. Anderson is total snooze. Let the national broadcasts have him. Actually, no, he's brutal on NBA playoffs too.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

Religion, politics, and baseball announcers. We'll never all agree, and not everyone has to love our guys, but listen to some other local or even national broadcasts and many will appreciate that the guys we have are pretty darn good.
I am not Shea Vucinich

Religion, politics, and baseball announcers. We'll never all agree, and not everyone has to love our guys, but listen to some other local or even national broadcasts and many will appreciate that the guys we have are pretty darn good.

Yeah I had to listen to the Padres broadcast on Thursday and wasn't particularly impressed. Their color guys is especially annoying.

advocates for the devil

I hate that whenever Brian Anderson comes up it comes down to "everyone else sucks" so Brian is good.

I hate that whenever Brian Anderson comes up it comes down to "everyone else sucks" so Brian is good.

My bar for liking an announcer is not high. It begins with the announcer actually liking to be at the ballpark.

Yeah I had to listen to the Padres broadcast on Thursday and wasn't particularly impressed. Their color guys is especially annoying.

Last week I was in Michigan for business so I had the Tigers broadcast on. With men on 1st and 3rd, the analysis was "..the guy needs to put the ball in play so the guy on first can run this way and the guy on third wants to run that way." Even used the teleprompter.

Last week I was in Michigan for business so I had the Tigers broadcast on. With men on 1st and 3rd, the analysis was "..the guy needs to put the ball in play so the guy on first can run this way and the guy on third wants to run that way." Even used the teleprompter.

For true pain, listen to Mike Shannon call a game in STL. Worse, people here think he is a Uecker level talent.

But that's not the argument. The point is being a baseball announcer is incredibly difficult and takes tremendous talent, moreso than any other mainstream sport IMO. And filling in 3 hours - of which maybe 15 minutes is actual gameplay - with entertaining banter and analysis is tremendously difficult. But listen to anyone for 3 hours every day about anything and you can find reasons to not like them.

Again, not everyone has to like him, or Rock for that matter, but the whole point of comparing them to others is not to say everyone else sucks. It's actually to say most others, by definition, are average. And if you realize that, and compare them to our guys, you may see that our guys are actually pretty darn good.

I am not Shea Vucinich

But that's not the argument. The point is being a baseball announcer is incredibly difficult and takes tremendous talent, moreso than any other mainstream sport IMO. And filling in 3 hours - of which maybe 15 minutes is actual gameplay - with entertaining banter and analysis is tremendously difficult. But listen to anyone for 3 hours every day about anything and you can find reasons to not like them.

Again, not everyone has to like him, or Rock for that matter, but the whole point of comparing them to others is not to say everyone else sucks. It's actually to say most others, by definition, are average. And if you realize that, and compare them to our guys, you may see that our guys are actually pretty darn good.

I have listened to other broadcasts. Some are better, some are worse. Brian doesn't really do anything annoying but never has he ever said anything that I thought was interesting or entertaining. I'll never say that he's bad at what he does but I just can't understand the people who say he's good at what he does. He's just so bland and boring. Rock is for the most part the dumb ex-jock but at least he shows some passion and enthusiasm for the Brewers from time to time.

Hate him if you would like. However the fact he has endless announcing gigs across every sports platform you can think of tells me he is really good. You don't get all those offers being average. The guy is one of the best at his job and it's hard to debate. Uecker is one of the best at his job(as they say) and I don't think he is anything special. That is my opinion and the majority would disagree. Which is fine. That being said it is just a person talking...breath.

At least he doesn't do this:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ncaabkvideos/mlb-announcer-interviews-bird/vp-BBBnq3G

Brian doesn't really do anything annoying but never has he ever said anything that I thought was interesting or entertaining. I'll never say that he's bad at what he does but I just can't understand the people who say he's good at what he does. He's just so bland and boring.

I will say that while I do personally like BA, I actually understand this sentiment too. And I think that part of the reason that he gets so much national work is that he is both good (at least IMO) and fairly vanilla at the same time.

And it's probably part of the reason I like BA and Rock. I don't need much from the announcers to love watching, in fact a couple guys who just narrate and don't overpower the broadcast are great.

I am not Shea Vucinich

Archived