Brewer Fanatic

Link Report for Monday 5/9

Shuckers collect a season-high 16 hits in route of Suns

Adrian Houser picked up his second win and a triple on Monday

Biloxi Shuckers

http://www.milb.com/assets/images/6/1/8/177219618/cuts/Houser59_cutdn6oi_43kt177t.jpg

Adrian Houser notched his first career triple and RBI on Monday night (Michael Krebs)

Bilxoi Boxscore

I'm always excited when pitchers get hits, I don't have a reasonable explanation, it's just awesome. This was far and away Adrian Houser's most consistent start of the season, hopefully this is a springboard for continued success.

Unfortunately Brett Phillips was the only Shucker in the starting line-up without a hit.

Billoxi Recap

To quote one of my favorite movies... "Fun for the whole family!"

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

LumberKings top Rattlers 6-3

By Chris Mehring / Wisconsin Timber Rattlers

http://www.milb.com/assets/images/1/2/2/177241122/cuts/5_9_PlayerOftheGame_MitchGhelfi_o9vy4087_cm6ysb0p.jpg

Mitch Ghelfi went 2-for-4 with an RBI for the Timber Rattlers on Monday night. (Wisconsin Timber Rattlers/Ann Mollica)

Wisconsin Boxscore

As sorry as I am that Sthervin Matos is playing himself out of the organization I'm at least twice that in excitement that Trent Clark is up. There's enough Clark discussion elsewhere so I won't add to it here other than to say it was a very solid debut.

While Jake Drossner had one of his better outings this season, David Lucroy blew up, this is definitely the weakest spot in the Rattler rotation at this time.

Isan Diaz is in danger of joining Monte Harrison below the Mendoza Line.

Wisconsin Recap

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Community Moderator

Final: Brevard County 8, Daytona 3

Woodruff Stymies Daytona offense in 8-3 win

Donald Rieber, Jr., Manatees Examiner

A welcome outing for the Manatees, click the article link above for the detailed recap of tonight's win.

Also the article provides an update regarding Clint Coulter's injury which is identified as an oblique issue with his return unclear at this point.

Brevard County Box Score

Take notice prospect aficionados, Brandon Woodruff is a dude who is radar worthy. The latest case... nine strikeouts over six innings pitched allowing three hits, one walk, and two runs. On the year he is averaging just over a strikeout per inning with a 1.03 WHIP.

Brevard County Game Log

Four Manatees with multi-hit nights led by Angel Ortega's two hits including a 3rd inning homerun and a total of four RBI.

Added intrigue Tuesday as Scooter Gennett will join BC on a rehab assignment.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

Brewer Fanatic Staff

LINK INCLUDES VIDEO INTERVIEW with Trent Clark, with several of the quotes in text below --

Top pick to join Rattlers for tonight’s game

Tim Froberg, Appleton Post-Crescent

GRAND CHUTE – Hitting is all about timing and the Milwaukee Brewers are confident that Trent Clark’s smooth swing will produce a steady string of base hits.

Clark’s timing is already good in another aspect. He didn’t have to endure the coldest month of the baseball season in chilly Wisconsin and is joining the Timber Rattlers just when temperatures are heating up.

“I’m going to hear about it every day from these guys — about how cold it was up here and how I got here at the right time,” said Clark with a smile. “It’s funny, but actually I was looking forward to the challenge, because all I heard about last year was the cold weather at the beginning of the season.”

Clark, Milwaukee’s first-round pick in the 2015 draft, was assigned to the Timber Rattlers on Monday after spending the first five weeks of the season at the Brewers’ extended spring training camp in Maryvale, Arizona. The 19-year-old Clark got off to a strong start in his first year of pro ball last summer, hitting .309 and .310 in rookie league stints with the Arizona Brewers and Helena. In 207 at-bats, Clark had a combined two home runs and 21 RBI and showed excellent speed with 25 stolen bases.

Clark, who wears No. 27, batted leadoff for the Rattlers in Monday night’s home game against the Clinton LumberKings, and played center field.

“That’s what we do, we get the young kids and see what they’ve got,” said Wisconsin manager Matt Erickson. “I got to see a little bit of him in spring training and in the instructional league. He’s a contact guy at the plate and I think he’ll put some pressure on defenses with his feet. And from all the reports I’ve read, he plays a pretty good center field.”

Erickson also likes what Clark brings in terms of competitiveness and energy, and is impressed by the mature, professional manner in which he carries himself.

“He’s a gamer,” said Erickson. “He’s a guy who likes to compete. Mentally, I think he’s ahead of most of the young people we get. He has a baseball mind and he has some baseball feel. He anticipates the game well, so he probably plays a little faster just because of that.”

Clark, a lefty both at the plate and in the field, was described by Brewers scouting director Ray Montgomery as a potential five-tool player after Milwaukee took him with the 15th overall pick. Former Brewers GM Doug Melvin called Clark a “real professional hitter.”

Clark signed with the Brewers for a reported $2.7 million, which was $7,300 above the recommended slot value. As a senior at Richland High School in North Richland, Texas, Clark hit a prolific .522 with three homers, 24 RBI and 11 stolen bases. Clark added to his reputation as a big-time hitter at the 18-and-under Pan American Championship in Mexico last September, setting a Team USA single-season record with 24 RBI in 12 games.

“I’m not one to put much pressure on myself,” said Clark. “There’s a lot of jokes going around about who has the most money, who has this, who has that. We all laugh and have fun with it. But I know I have to compete every day, whether I was a first-rounder or a 40th rounder.

“I’m a grinder. I fight through at-bats. I’m not trying to hit the ball out of the park every time. I’m trying to have a competitive at-bat, get on base and use what speed I have to help the team on the bases.”

Clark becomes the highest-rated player on the Timber Rattlers roster. He is ranked by MLB Pipeline as the fifth-best prospect in the Brewers’ farm system, six slots ahead of Rattlers shortstop Isan Diaz at No. 11. Outfielder Monte Harrison (15), pitcher Marcos Diplan (20), third baseman Jake Gatewood (24) and pitchers Freddy Peralta (27) and Miguel Diaz (28) are also rated in the top 30.

“We all know that we have a chance,” Clark said. “We’re in a good position. Our coaches, the coordinators, the rovers, everyone is telling us that it’s a good time to a Brewer. We know it and we believe it.”

I'd have to go back and check to be sure, but I believe Clark did not swing the bat until his third at-bat, after seeing about Midwest League 12 pitches go by. He struck out that AB and his next time up as well. He was absolutely Walshing it up there.

Except for, you know, actually getting a hit in one of his ABs. ;)

Archived