Brewer Fanatic

Draft news - Miscellaneous updates, mock drafts

If you haven't checked out BA's new regional coverage, you should. It's really more glitz than anything, but their flash map is a nice interactive graphic:

www.baseballamerica.com/t...ftmap.html

I should note that accessing the state-by-state regional coverage is for subscribers only.

More harping on just how weak this year's draft is. Jim Callis covered Texas this year, and had this to say about Drew Stubbs:

In last year's draft, which was much deeper in hitters, Stubbs would have lasted until the late first round. But with a scarcity of position players this year, he could go as high as No. 6 overall to the Tigers and probably won't get past the top 10 picks.

I think that's going a little too far. Stubbs is getting knocked around a little with people questioning if he can hit, as I've taken a few swings at him myself given his high strikeout totals, but his athleticism is just so good that you take him hoping the bat comes around. And I still think he's going to hit for fair power while playing Gold Glove D' in CF, which is still worthy of a high pick. Last year, Stubbs still could have very well been a top-10 pick, and probably a lock to go in the first half of the first round. While many to most do have some questions about his bat, everyone I have talked to is absolutely in love with his pure talent.

Not to take a stab at Callis, whom I have plenty of respect for, but I tire of the lengths some take to point out how weak this year's talent pool is.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I've noticed that Drew Stubbs and Tim Lincecum are the whipping boys for this year's draft. Stubbs cant hit, Tim's too short. Both have great tools and should be solid major leaguers at least. I'm starting to question scouting reports, based simply on what appear to be preconceived opinions of the people who saw them.

Quote:
Conger apparently has run a 7.3 60 yard dash - where does he rate on the 20-80 scale for baserunning speed.

Catchers' running speed is rarely looked at. That being said 7.3 speed is like a 25-30 runner.

Since Gagne kind of alluded to Conger as being my favorite on a different thread, I wanted to point out here that Conger isn't necessarily my favorite, but who I believe is the most likely pick for the Brewers. As fas as prep catchers go, I would have a hard time taking Conger over Max Sapp. I like Hank for his first name.

And I'm not so sure Conger or Sapp is the prep slugger I would take first. Travis Snider is arguably the top prep hitter/slugger a la Prince Fielder, and there are a few other players that I may "reach" for.

I would like to see the Brewers take a college arm, and while I recognize that the Brewers have not taken a player that required being signed for greater than slot value, this is the perfect year to take someone like Hochevar (I don't think he will fall) of Scherzer (I think he will) given not only team needs, but the BPA theory. Both will cost a pretty penny, but either one could be up contributing with the team by the end of the '07 season.

One person here has called me out on my favorite, but it's not a player listed in this particular post. I'll shutup now http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif .

Colby, I'm assuming your favorite is someone we've discussed multiple times, in part because he attended my college for his freshman year as a highly touted recruit. He's someone the Brewers thought highly of out of high school, but made it known he wanted college or a $2 million bonus.

I would like to see the Brewers take a college arm, and while I recognize that the Brewers have not taken a player that required being signed for greater than slot value, this is the perfect year to take someone like Hochevar (I don't think he will fall) of Scherzer (I think he will) given not only team needs, but the BPA theory. Both will cost a pretty penny, but either one could be up contributing with the team by the end of the '07 season.

I really agree with this. In past years, the team drafted high enough that they could get top talents in spite of ignoring Boras clients. Thats not the case this year. The difference between the college pitchers who will likely be available at 16 and Hochevar is huge. I don't think Hochevar's past demands are that out of line for a player of that caliber. Some have makeup issues with him, but if you take away the Boras factor, you see an ultra-competitive player and tireless worker on and off the field. As for Scherzer, he's certainly more difficult to get a read on because of the time he missed, but if the Brewers have an interest you can bet they're outworking everyone gaining info on him.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

kiker is in milwaukee today for a workout with the brewers. had a workout in Texas that took his name out the hat for their first round pick. also worked out for braves and didn't do as well as he had hoped there, braves are out, rangers out. Dodgers still considering him at 26 and 31.

Quote:
i heard from a pretty reliable source that if kiker is there at 30 the cards will take him, but he should be gone by then. cory had a work out with the bravo's this past week.

so the dodgers are still pretty high on him? I presume 26 is the only chance for the dodgers to get him since it looks like a minefield until 31.

dodgers have had their area scout take him to a few class A games and just to hang around him to try to get a feel for what kind of kid he is. they have been doing their homework on him and I haven't heard that they have lost interest in him as i have with a few other teams. If you believe he will act right you can't pass on him as his talent is top 5 picks of the draft.

Here's a little blurb from Baseball Prospectus about the Brewers and Jack Z, as part of their larger team-by-team preview. Not much info, except the typical Fielder, Hardy, Weeks love and that Jack Z keeps his cards "close to the vest"--has he trademarked that idiom?

BP Draft Preview

Milwaukee Brewers

Scouting Director: Jack Zduriencik. Zduriencik served as scouting director with the Pirates from 1991 to 1993 before spending four years with the Mets as the team's farm director and then as a special assistant to GM Steve Phillips. He's been the Brewers scouting director since 2000. He's generally credited with the Brewers' recent turnaround, taking J.J. Hardy, Prince Fielder and Rickie Weeks with high picks from 2001-2003. Last year's top pick, third baseman Ryan Braun, represents the first time Zduriencik has taken a college player with his first selection.

What The System Needs: The Brewers have a remarkably balanced system. They are a little weak at catcher and on the right side of the infield. However, with Weeks and Fielder set to fill those roles at the big league level for some time, no worries there.

What They'll Do On Tuesday: The Brewers generally play it close to the vest, and it's no different this year. Because of the way the talent lies, Zduriencik will likely return to the high school ranks this year.

He's generally credited with the Brewers' recent turnaround, taking J.J. Hardy, Prince Fielder and Rickie Weeks with high picks from 2001-2003. Last year's top pick, third baseman Ryan Braun, represents the first time Zduriencik has taken a college player with his first selection.

I realize that fact-checking is hard, but there's a pretty glaring contradiction there....

Baseball Prospectus has a story up about the draft and what risks/rewards certain picks have returned over the periods of 1984-1991 and 1992-1999. A few notes:

Quote:
it is no longer apparent that high school pitchers, even in the first round, are significantly riskier than either high school hitters or college pitchers.

Quote:
The long-held bias against high school catchers is no longer appropriate.

Quote:
There are minimal differences in the value of left-handed vs. right-handed pitching.

baseballprospectus.com/ar...cleid=5152

Baseball Prospectus has a story up about the draft and what risks/rewards certain picks have returned over the periods of 1984-1991 and 1992-1999. A few notes:

Thanks for the Link GagneCY03, that has some great info in it.

The long-held bias against high school catchers is no longer appropriate.

Thats great news for someone who's a fan of a team that might select Hank Conger, a HS catcher, in round 1. Between this info, and the most recent BA chat with John Manuel (Link for subscribers only), I'm completely on board with drafting Conger. Manuel, when asked who he thought could be the best player out of this draft in 5 years, answered Conger. He loves his power, and said he had unbelieveable make-up and work ethic.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

In some ways, this draft is more interesting than the ones in which we've had a high choice, since it's so hard to see where the Brewers go...watching the first round will be fascinating. Something tells me they'll have a shot at a talented but expensive guy like Hochevar, and I'm curious to see how they respond...my gut feeling is that they pass.

Conger or Snider are the two names I've seen that intrigue me most...though Ned Yost is probably begging for a college arm he can plug in by mid-August.

While it's tempting to draft someone that can provide more immediate help, I would still be considering the "highest ceiling" type selection. I don't think that means only high school types....or is against any college arm. I am hoping they are stilling looking for the best player they can get, regardless of the timing to the majors. I'd be jazzed if they drafted Hochevar but that seems so against their previous thinking.

Archived