Brewer Fanatic

Draft news - Miscellaneous updates, mock drafts

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just dont see White taking the 5th or 6th best college pitcher when the best or second best prep pitcher is on the board. That's his basic philosophy; taking a guy others ignore because of his age.

I can only hope that Reynolds or Hochevar looks more attractive with the Tiggers possibly being in the running for their division (They're tied for first now). Maybe they'd want a kid who could feasibly help out of the pen by season's end. But that's just me being blindly optimistic.

The thing about Reynolds is that his production does not match his stuff. A pitcher with his body, delivery and stuff should be dominant and striking out more then a k an inning. The Ks are the biggest factor IMO. If he cant strike people out in college ball, how does he figure to strike people out in pro ball?http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/frown.gif

Look at Reynolds production from his first two years in school compared to this year. Big difference, and something to take as an encouraging progression.

I do agree with Gagne's point that Logan White always tries to get the best of something, as Jack Zduriencik has worked the same way. Reynolds does not fit that profile, as he's not the best college pitcher, he doesn't have the best fastball, breaking pitch (he may have the best changeup), etc. He is one of the best overall pitchers, and there won't be much of a learning curve with him.

BA with some draft-related goodies today. They have yet another story about how the draft is weak in positional players (and overall), a chat with their HS analyst Alan Matthews and a mock draft courtesy of Jim Callis (the mock draft, the third link, is for subscribers only):

www.baseballamerica.com/t...61299.html

www.baseballamerica.com/t...61301.html

www.baseballamerica.com/o...61296.html

If you couldn't sense my annoyance with yet another BA penned story concerning the overall weakness of this year's draft class, allow me to expand http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif . While people always harp on the top players entering the spring that have failed, BA and other places don't seem to focus at all on some players that embraced their early season rankings and stepped up to become legitimate top 3-10 picks. Evan Longoria, Brad Lincoln, Greg Reynolds and Brandon Morrow all walked away from the Cape last year significantly improving their draft status, and now all four of those players could be taken within the top 5-7 picks. That to me is a storyline, more so than focusing on the players that have had disappointing springs.

Callis has the Brewers taking Washington prep OF Travis Snider with their first round pick. I certianly wouldn't mind the selection, as Snider is one of the best pure hitters and power hitters available in this year's draft. He's a true RF with a big left-handed stick, and would give the system a true corner OF prospect that they haven't had procured from top to bottom probably since Jenkins (Hart started at 1B, moved to 3B, etc., Cruz was acquired for Ginter and went to AA, etc.).

I still say it's Conger.

CJ, I love the fact that SOMEBODY gives the Dodgers Kershaw...http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

Kevin Mulvey at #26? And Callis' reasoning makes him seem like he was under the influence of a controlled substance. They cant reach for a position player when the most polished prep hitter in the draft goes the pick after them? Interesting...

Oh, and you cant take Snider, cuz he needs to be there for the Dodgers at #26. Go with King Conger .

BA's draft coverage is picking up:

BA: DraftTracker

BA: Top Tools

BA: Top 100 Prospects (subscribers only)

BA: Top 100 Prospects with scouting reports (subscribers only)

Of course, you can view over 100 scouting reports here at Brewerfan.net, for free, and they've been adding up for several months now (sorry, don't mean to gloat, but it's true http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif ).

I forgot to mention that the Brew Crew Review was kind enough to have me on their show again (show probably to be put on WI On Demand this weekend), but the focus of the show was on the draft. We conducted a mock draft, and here were my picks, minus the commentary:

1. Royals: Tim Lincecum

2. Rockies: Evan Longoria

3. D-Rays: Andrew Miller

4. Pirates: Brad Lincoln

5. Mariners: Luke Hochevar

6. Tigers: Clayton Kershaw

7. Dodgers: Jeremy Jeffress

8. Reds: Drew Stubbs

9. Orioles: Billy Rowell

10. Giants: Brandon Morrow

11. D-Backs: Greg Reynolds

12. Rangers: Kyle Drabek

13. Cubs: Travis Snider

14. Blue Jays: Blair Erickson

15. Nationals: Joba Chamberlain

16. Brewers: Hank Conger

Another pin into my CJ voodoo doll...

You really think the Royals will pass on Miller? PGCC is saying that KC is really only debating how much they'll have to spend to get him signed, not whether or not they'll take him. And if Kershaw doesnt end up a Dodger, I blame you.

More and more people are saying the Royals will indeed take Miller. I'll probably change my pick just before the draft, but for now I'm sticking to my guns.

Don't blame me if the Tigers take Kershaw ahead of the Dodgers, I don't have any special powers. Lucky for you they reportedly really, really like Drew Stubbs, and I don't see anyone ahead of the Tigers taking Kershaw (or Stubbs).

Brewer Fanatic Staff

MiLB.com mock draft:

www.minorleaguebaseball.c...;fext=.jsp

16. Milwaukee Brewers: Joba Chamberlain, RHP, Nebraska

The Brewers may have an interesting choice to make. A college pitcher might make the most sense, and there could be some intriguing arms available, including Chamberlain, Scherzer and last week's projection, Brooks Brown from Georgia. Brown, it seems, has become secondary and the Brewers will probably be all over the Big 12 tournament next week to see both formerly injured starters mentioned above. They're not afraid to go the high school route, either, and they do like Kasey Kiker's arm.

I'm hoping the Tiggers go with Stubbs, to pair him with Maybin. If Kershaw's gone, I'd actually prefer Morrow. Is his slider even worth mentioning, or does it have the potential of being a plus pitch?

Thanks for sharing the link Mass, some more interesting names thrown into the pile. Max Scherzer would be an incredible value pick at #16 based on talent (not based on what he will eventually signed for). Joba Chamberlain would please those hoping for a non-prep pitcher pick, as he's got good stuff and a terrible body, which means his results are legit http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif .

Too early for Kiker, as much as I like him, same goes for Brown.

When I saw Morrow last summer he was predominantly throwing his fastball & splitter, but when he mixed in his slider you could tell it was a really nice pitch. He used his splitter more like a changeup at the time, a pitch I hear he has been using less and less this spring. Morrow is definitely a feel good story this spring.

Can you imagine Stubbs & Maybin roaming Comerica some day? That would be a pretty impressive defensive outfield. That's like when the Mets had Beltran and Cameron last year.

Hopefully the Tigers will fall in love with the possibly dominant Stubbs/Maybin OF down the road and give me my boy Clayton. Have you heard anything on Stubbs' value rising/falling?

Glad to hear that Morrow's slider has some potential, as he cant live on the fastball/splittie alone. I'd prefer him over Jeffress at #7 if Kershaw's gone.

Also, when's your next piece in PGCC coming out? I read the Lincecum interview and am looking forward to more content.

Tom Haudricort suggests in this article that the Brewers are considering HS sluggers Travis Snyder and Bill Rowell. Rowel is a 6'4" SS who's expected to be moved to 3B. He is ranked 3rd by BA in its best tools list at HS "Best Pure Hitters" and 2nd in its " Best Power Hitter"category, and 2nd in "Best Strikezone Judgement". Snyder a RF and 1B, ranks 1st in the "Best Pure Hitter" category, 3rd in "Best Strikezone Judgement", and 3rd in "Closest To Majors". He was 1st among position players in that category.

It excites me that the Brewers are possibly focusing in at these position players instead the deep but uninspireing group of college pitchers. There could also be some exciting HS power pitchers available, but I'd rather see the Crew take the safer route with position players. I like that both of these hitters are lefties, as the Brewers look like they will become extremely righthanded in a few years. With the deep group of College arms, the Crew might be able to get a polished pitcher in round 2, and with so many teams shying away from HS pitchers, the team could add 1 round talent in round 2 with a HS pitcher also. Theres no chance there will be a top talent position player available, college or HS, available in round 2.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

We've heard that the Brewers are interested in Snider (not Snyder) before. Their interest in Rowell isn't surprising, although I doubt he's there when they pick.

Add on their interest in Conger and it seems as though they are definitely intent on taking a prep slugger. I agree with your assessment X that the organization needs to add a lefty slugger to their organization, and this is actually a pretty good year to do so with several good ones projected to be available when the Brewers make their pick.

Thanks for updating the Top 30, CJ. Hopefully you're not just teasing me by ranking C Train (Clayton Kershaw) 10th. I'm getting way more excited than I should be with the draft just a week away. Unfortunately it looks like Luke Hochevar will be re-entering the talent pool, but luckily the Dodgers have those 3 picks in the first 31 to work with. Any idea on when you'll submit your next mock draft?

I really hope you guys get Hank Conger. The kid has awesome power.

I wanted to chime in with some players I like for our second to fifth round (or later) picks. I should point out that historically I have been pretty bad predicting picks, and the players I like are rarely the players the Brewers like. 2001 was one of the few years in which there were a couple of players that I really liked taken early, JJ Hardy and Brad Nelson. Let's start with my favorite, the lefties...

Ben Snyder-LHP-Ball State

Brother of Ben Snyder an OF in the Indians organization. Ben is a lot like Doug Davis and Chris Capuano in that he doesn't really have that one knock-out pitch, but he knows how to pitch with that unteachable left-handed craftiness.

Keith Weiser-LHP-Miami (OH)

A lot like Snyder. Not as athletic, but almost the same type of pitcher.

Zach Britton-LHP-Weatherford, TX (HS)

Soaring up charts this spring with increased velocity on his fastball, now throwing in the low-90s. Maybe it's because Zach Duke mowed down the Brewers this evening, not to mention that his name is Zach (duh), but it may be an appropriate comparison.

Jeff Locke-LHP-Kennett, NH (HS)

Another savvy lefty, Locke has plenty of projectability to add onto his already low-90s fastball. Pitching in the northeast means his arm is fresh.

Carmine Giardina-LHP-Durant, FL (HS)

Giardina has been carving up prep hitters for a long time. He is a well known commodity in scouting circles, and has great success at showcase and tournament events. The repertoire is there, but he may have already reached his potential.

Andy Oliver-LHP-Vermillion, OH (HS)

Similar to Locke, Oliver has a projectable frame, good present stuff with the ability to get better and a knack for pitching.

Ryan Morris-LHP-Charlotte, NC (HS)

Morris has a low-3/4s delivery, a fastball that has touched 93 and a wicked slider. What's not to like?

Dellin Betances-RHP-Grand Street, NY (HS)

Betances shouldn't fall into the 2nd round, but if he does, take him Jack!

Brandon Magge-RHP-Bradley

A local product as a native of Sheboygan. Big righty (6'5", 190) with improving stuff (89-94 fastball).

R.J. Seidel-RHP-La Crosse Central (HS)

Another local product, and another big kid. Seidel is the one Wisconsin prep player that has legitimate top-five round talent, although Oak Creek LHP Tony Butler isn't far off.

Zechery Zinicola-RHP-Arizona State

How can you not like his name? Well known coming out of high school as a two-sport star with a power/power repertoire as a pitcher and as a hitter. A quirky player, barrel-chested and intimidating. Tailor-made for closer's role.

Blair Erickson-RHP-UC Irvine

Erickson's fastball velocity hasn't been as consistent this spring, but as X ellence noted on a different thread, the Brewers may be interested in a college closer with the intent of making him a starter. Erickson could be that guy, as many feel he'll be a starter as a pro anyway, with a solid 3-pitch repertoire.

Charles Brewer-RHP-Chaparral, AZ (HS)

With a name like Brewer, he deserves to be in our favorite organization. A tall and lanky, projectable righty that currently throws around 90 with a promising breaking ball with plenty of room to get better.

Jeff Inman-RHP-Bakerfield, CA (HS)

The Brewers took one Inman a year ago that instantly became a fan favorite. Although there is no relation, why not take another? Good stuff, but needs a lot of polish, and may be tough to pry away from Stanford.

Sergio Perez-RHP-Tampa

Good-sized fireballing righty that may profile perfectly as a closer (similar to Zinicola). His game needs polish, as does his breaking ball, but his fastball is hard to catch up with.

Kyler Burke-OF-Chattanooga, TN (HS)

Now in my top 30 prospects, Burke could fall a little due to his commitment to Vanderbilt. If he makes it to the Brewers 2nd round pick, use the money you saved from having the 16th overall pick instead of the 5th overall pick and get this guy into the system. A similar prospect to Ryan Sweeney in the White Sox organization.

Drew Rundle-OF-Bend, OR (HS)

Five-tool OF talent from the Pacific Northwest. Makes everything look easy. Would be a no-brainer first-rounder if he would have had a big spring. His talent is similar to a couple of other Pacific NW outfielder like Grady Sizemore and Dale Murphy.

Jon Jay-OF-Miami

Hit .400+ batting behind Braun last year. Solid baseball athlete that doesn't have off the chart tools, but does everything well and has some of the best plate discipline that I saw all spring at the college level. Not much power, but he'll draw walks, get base hits and swipe a few bags.

Shane Robinson-OF-Florida State

It's impossible not to like Robinson, who is 5'9", 165 pounds soaking wet and standing on his tip-toes without much room to get any bigger. He plays the game hard and is a difference maker. His upside is limited, but he's tough enough physically and mentally to overcome all obstacles.

Riley Cooper-OF-Seminole, FL (HS)

Such a good athlete that he may follow a football career, particularly after he missed most of his senior baseball season after putting his hand through a car window. That incident has his makeup in question, which may push him towards a two-sport career in college. If you do your homework and may a little over slot value you may have an exceptional talent in your system.

Jared Mitchell-OF-New Iberia, LA (HS)

Another two-sport star, as Mitchell could be an all-pro WR at LSU. He was an Aflac All-American last summer though, which shows his interest in baseball. His talents are undeniable, but he may not be around for the Brewers to pick unless they take him in round 1. I've compared him to Carl Crawford before.

Cyle Hankerd-OF-USC

An athletic, power hitting corner outfielder. Not the flashiest of prospects, but he's proven and solid all around.

Josh Morris-1B-Georgia

Morris burst onto the scene his freshman year, slumped a little his sophomore year and has bounced back this year. His only position really is 1B, but he has an incredibly powerful bat that will make up for his limited speed and overall versatility.

Jordan Newton-C-Western Kentucky

An athletic, offensive-minded catcher in the mold of Craig Biggio and Jason Kendall. He may be moved to CF or 2B at the pro level to take advantage of his athleticism, but he has proven to hit and steal bases, a rare combo for a catcher.

Matt McBride-C-Lehigh

More of a defensive-minded catcher that made strides at the plate this year showing good power potential. Has a strong arm behind the plate and could make the majors on his defense alone.

Mike Murray-C-Westfield, NJ (HS)

A prep catcher with a powerful left-handed stick and improving defensive skills. Keep an eye on Murray, *hint hint*.

Chris Valaika-SS-UC Santa Barbara

Athletic shortstop for UC Santa Barbara with very good power potential. Somewhat of an all or nothing type slugger, as he doesn't walk much and strikes out too much. Still, the offensive upside is there, but may move to 3B as a pro.

Josh Rodriguez-IF-Rice

Rodriguez entered the year as a SS, but shoulder problems limited him to a DH for most of the year. He has a very good approach to hitting, and his bat alone may carry him to the big leagues. Some power potential, but more doubles power than HR power. He reminds me of Felipe Lopez, although Rodriguez is a 3B or LF at the next level.

Mark Sobolewski-SS-Sarasota, FL (HS)

A solid all-around athlete and baseball player. His tools aren't off the charts, but he's good enough, and he shows he knows how to play the game.

Stephen Englund-IF-Bellevue, WA (HS)

A Jack Z. type of player with very good tools across the board, highlighted by exceptional bat speed. He's more about potential than production at this point in time, but his talent is too good to pass up. He may end up in the OF.

Archived