Brewer Fanatic

Shouldn't Villar be moved permanently to 3B?

rickh150

I like Hill at 2nd base at the moment. I'd move Villar permanently to SS and bench/trade Scooter personally, the valuation of Jonathon Villar long term is way ahead of Scooter Gennetts. Walsh and Rivera should be on permanent bench duty unless there are injuries.

1B - Carter

2B - Hill

SS - Villar

3B - Perez

That's what i'd like to see. This team knows how to score runs, it the pitching can just become somewhat competent or league average we may hang around the .500 mark / wild card picture into August. When it's time for Arcia to come up then the worst player of Hill/Villar/Perez can get benched. I'm not all for playoff pushes or anything but it's defintely not time to throw in the towel on the season yet.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I like Hill at 2nd base at the moment. I'd move Villar permanently to SS and bench/trade Scooter personally, the valuation of Jonathon Villar long term is way ahead of Scooter Gennetts. Walsh and Rivera should be on permanent bench duty unless there are injuries.

I would rather give Scooter Gennett at-bats over Hernan Perez. Gennett started off the year really well and he should get a chance to play every day. See if he can build on his value. Once Hill is traded that will give plenty of time for Perez to show us if he is any different. What is the rush? If Perez shines in the second half of the season then in the offseason we can look to trade Gennett(if he isn't traded this July).

Why can't he play some 3B this year???

Who said he couldn't occassionally? Your question was to permanently move him.

True.... But nobody was even saying he should occasionally play 3B so I adapted a bit by saying, "at least."

The general comments of "He will play 3B when Arcia comes up" or "It's still early in the season" doesn't make much sense to me. Let's see how well he does there now. He isn't the SS of the team long term, we all agree. Great opportunity on a sub 500 team. Perhaps he is awful at 3B or really stellar. Let's see what we have here. Villar is a young guy (24) playing well, stealing bases, having quality at bats. I'd like to see what he can do at 3B so we have a better idea of what the team should do at the deadline.... Trade him? Keep him? Pencil him in at 3B for 2017? Trade Lucroy for a AA 3B unless Villar can handle 3B well and cheaply for a few years?

It would be a huge mistake to bring Arcia up before September so this isn't an issue anytime soon. By the time Arcia is up we likely will have traded Hill. Arcia's current AAA stats translate into a below average hitter in the majors so it isn't like he is pressing the issue. He is showing no ability to take a walk, very little power and some empty AVG. He translates to Jean Segura atm, and not the good one we've seen this year.

its a third of the way through May and everyone wants people to shift positions already... June, July, August, September... we have a long season ahead, no need to rush to move anyone to a new position right now. You can move him to 3rd base in August if someones interested in Hill, 1 - 2 months of everyday 3B will give you an idea of if he'll be the "future" or not at that position.

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

Villar's value is in part his versatility. Once Arcia is up, Villar will be the guy who plays SS on the days Arcia needs a rest. Let him continue to get valuable reps at SS until that time
The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

Even if Hill is traded, I rather see Perez get as many starts at 3B as possible. Maybe bring up Cecchini at some point to play some 3B and 1B. I just don't see any reason for Villar to play there this season.

I'm not worried about him being able to play 3B down the road, we don't need to see it now. Frankly, I still don't see that as his landing spot anyhow. I see him in a soft platoon with Scooter at 2B, and getting some starts at SS/3B.

But all of that is subject to change anyhow, depending on who is traded, how all these guys perform for the rest of the season, etc. If they want him to play more 3B next season, start that process in Spring Training. No real reason to dabble with it this year when we already have Hill, Perez, Walsh, and possibly Cecchini playing there. That's enough 3B guys for the time being.

They should hope Scooter gets hot after his return and trade him before July 31st. Scooter is a liability at 2b. Other than hitting RHP at a solid clip, he doesn't really add much to this team. Put Villar at 2B where he belongs. Let Perez/Walsh/Rivera, whoever finish the season at 3B and see if any of them stick. If not, we know the hole that needs to be filled via FA possibly.

The problem is, who is a trading partner for Scooter? The only two teams that would possibly see him as an upgrade would be KC and maybe Baltimore.

The problem is, who is a trading partner for Scooter? The only two teams that would possibly see him as an upgrade would be KC and maybe Baltimore.

also probably the Blue Jays (Ryan Goins), Angels (Giavotella & Pennington) & Cardinals (Wong)

also probably the Blue Jays (Ryan Goins), Angels (Giavotella & Pennington) & Cardinals (Wong)

Blue Jays have a young guy named Devon Travis that is in extended spring training. He put up a 859 OPS last year in 200 ABs.

The angels are toast this year. They aren't going to trade for a 2b unless they can also trade for 2 starting pitchers first.

Wong just signed a long term deal this off season, so I can't image the cards are going to trade for Scooter, even if Wong continues to struggle, they have Aledyms Diaz to move to second once Peralta comes back in a few weeks.

No, it's pretty much KC and Baltimore unless some other second bagger goes down.

Archived