Brewer Fanatic

Shouldn't Villar be moved permanently to 3B?

rickh150

Villar is just warming the spot at SS, right? That is the general thinking with mega-star Arcia coming up later this year or next. With no true heir apparent at 3B with Hill, Rivera, and Walsh not showing much, and with Middlebrooks and Cecchini not doing much (yet), why are we not trying Villar there?

Villar has been doing well, and at age 24 could be in the future plans, especially looking at the lack of any wonderful star third baseman in the minors. If he can play SS, he should be able to play some 3B too. And isn't this year about preparing for the future just about as much as playing the actual season? The heavy trading for prospects, the numerous minor league AAAA signings and all. Try it early, before Arcia comes. I've seen enough Hill starts for the year. Rivera can play some SS. Isn't it worth it to see if he can handle it? And if he could, wouldn't that answer the 3B issue for the short term, barring trade? Or is this all about raising Villar's value at SS and flipping him too?

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Verified Member
Why now? When Arcia comes up, he'll move to either 2B or 3B. Until that time comes, there's no reason to move him and hurt his value (in case some team decides they want to blow us away with an offer.)

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Villar is just warming the spot at SS, right? That is the general thinking with mega-star Arcia coming up later this year or next. With no true heir apparent at 3B with Hill, Rivera, and Walsh not showing much, and with Middlebrooks and Cecchini not doing much (yet), why are we not trying Villar there?

At this point, this is what is likely to happen around mid-season (basically the team wants to make sure Arcia doesn't qualify as a Super 2 arby guy, meaning he won't get brought up until early June or so). Arcia gets brought up, Villar goes to 3B, Scooter at 2B. I doubt there's any reason Villar couldn't handle the position. It's our best line up.

I stress 'at this point' So much can happen in the next month or two. Someone can get hurt (Scooter's already on the DL). Villar could go 0 for 40 and get sent down. Cecchini could catch fire and be much more of an interesting option. Or a trade could happen. If at mid-season Villar is sitting with similar stats as he is now (.760 OPS, 20+ SB, good defense), he could also become a very valuable trade chip, especially for some good young pitching. But assuming we stand pat, and there are no big injuries, and guys keep producing as they are now, I think you see Villar at 3B. Until then, no need to mess with a good thing. The change will happen - just a matter of when.

At this point, this is what is likely to happen around mid-season (basically the team wants to make sure Arcia doesn't qualify as a Super 2 arby guy, meaning he won't get brought up until early June or so).

I think he's going to have to learn to take a few more walks before he gets called up. In years past maybe he'd get the call a little early but Stearns seems to like on base guys and Arcia isn't exactly lighting it up in that department. I seriously doubt he gets anything more than an emergency call up or as the roster expands in September unless he really picks up his on base skills.

There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

Based on how they have been shifting so much, I see the Brewers going to SS caliber personnel playing SS, 2B, and 3B. If you think about it, against RH hitters the 2B is playing up the middle or at SS anyway and needs to make that longer throw. Scooter hasn't impressed me with that throw. Additionally, when a LH hitter is being shifted, the 3B is now in the hole at SS. Hill has done OK there, but could you imagine the slow feet of many traditional 3B covering that spot? If they continue the trend towards shifts, and it appears the Brewers like this adjustment, then you're really playing 3 SS to maximize the effect. I think Villar and Rivera fits in with Perez as an alternative. Walsh and Scooter would be relegated to reserve roles or trades.

Villar's an option at 3B, but he might be more valuable as a super utility guy. Think a young Ben Zobrist, who can play all over the infield, is a switch hitter and can easily log over 400 or 500 AB's a season. Zobrist was an integral part of the Rays ascending into contenders and I think a guy like that on a roster is a huge plus. I might even try him in the of. He completely renders Walsh superfluous as he's better in virtually all categories and younger too. Remember Zobrist was primarily a SS early on in his career.

In the long run, I see Perez possessing enough power to be better suited to settle in at 3B and be a down in the order (6 or 7 spot) RBI threat typical of the position whereas Villar seems to fit the 2 hole or leadoff spot.

Of course, he might end up bringing back a substantial return in a trade too and this team does need pitching help.

JohnBriggs, I like the idea. A Zobrist or Loretta type. Teams tend to shy away from letting people be full-time players at no particular position, but it can also help keep others well rested.

Wow, yea I actually agree with Briggs too! I see Villar as a UT, competing with Rivera for that spot. (Can't help it, I still have faith he will hit eventually.) Perez can hold down 3B for the time being, until a better option presents itself. May as well let Walsh go, really. Doesn't need to happen today, but I just don't see where he fits.

Jonathan Villar seems like a borderline starter at SS that can also play 2B/SS/?OF? If he is on this team come 2019/2020 he will probably be in a super utility role. Though a pretty good one at that. I guess I would rather hang onto him to be in a Zobrist type role than trade him away as an average SS. Probably will get more value with him being a super utility player on a competing team than whatever we get in a trade.

His defense has been very good at SS, and his OBP is among the elite at SS after one month. Let's give it a few more months, but I like him at 3b in 2017

Which is where he will be once Arcia comes up. He is pretty much a lock at this point to move to 3B.

Or 2B if we can move Scooter.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

That is true to and probably a more natural fit seeing his lack of power. He really doesn't have a future at 3B unless we literally can't find a "real" one which I dearly hope doesn't end up being the case.

That is true to and probably a more natural fit seeing his lack of power. He really doesn't have a future at 3B unless we literally can't find a "real" one which I dearly hope doesn't end up being the case.

I just like the possibility of two very rangie guys in the middle of our field. Could be very fun. Especially with all the shifting.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

If Villar is a potential long term option at 3B, then why not give him an extensive look now while wins and losses don't matter? What good does it do to play him at a position he probably won't be sticking at?

I must be missing why we need to rush and put him at 3B right now. It is a pretty minor move to 3B. It isn't like it is some type of major move. There really isn't a point to put him there now. He will be moved off of SS to 2B/3B next July at the absolute latest. He will have plenty of bad/losing baseball to get used to it.

Add in Phillips to CF and our middle of the field looks good. Position of catcher is a crap shoot though.

Add in Phillips to CF and our middle of the field looks good. Position of catcher is a crap shoot though.

Which isn't that bad because most teams have problems with their catching position. Something we could always trade for or sign on the FA market.

If most teams have problems at the catcher position, what makes it likely that we could "always trade for or sign on the FA market?"

Like I've said before (and been ridiculed for), before trading Lucroy for a series of stud prospects, I'd consider looking into his previous request for a career contract. It's our only likely way of having a very good catcher when we're over .500 in 2-3 years. Plus he's young enough to be expected to perform well over a 3-5 year contract. If his demands are too high or he's no longer interested, then I would fully understand trading him at the right price.

If most teams have problems at the catcher position, what makes it likely that we could "always trade for or sign on the FA market?"

Like I've said before (and been ridiculed for), before trading Lucroy for a series of stud prospects, I'd consider looking into his previous request for a career contract. It's our only likely way of having a very good catcher when we're over .500 in 2-3 years. Plus he's young enough to be expected to perform well over a 3-5 year contract. If his demands are too high or he's no longer interested, then I would fully understand trading him at the right price.

It just isn't worth the risk of a huge drop off from the catcher position when we can help refill our minor league system now. You don't need an all star catcher to win you just need a competent one.

You don't need an all star catcher to win you just need a competent one.

Not to mention Lucroy in 3 years will probably be competent at best. When his offense drops off he won't be all that special. I don't know why one would want us to overpay now when we can get a 33 year old Lucroy a lot cheaper in 3 years and also have the prospects from trading him.

You don't need an all star catcher to win you just need a competent one.

Not to mention Lucroy in 3 years will probably be competent at best. When his offense drops off he won't be all that special. I don't know why one would want us to overpay now when we can get a 33 year old Lucroy a lot cheaper in 3 years and also have the prospects from trading him.

33 is not that old for a catcher. 33 should be towards the end of his prime years. I would fully expect him to be well above average at 33. Once again, trading Lucroy can make sense, as can trading Braun. But until there's a legitimate trade for them they won't be traded. Neither needs to be traded this year. Teams need to overwhelm us. The Brewers are in great financial shape for 2016. Thus we need to be getting Gomez-like trades for them.

Additionally, your choice of words is weird. "competent?" Sorry, there are lots of competent catchers in AAA. a 33 year old Lucroy should be average to above average...that's far better than "competent"

Archived