Brewer Fanatic

Brewers claim LHP Michael Kirkman from Padres

And That

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2016/05/brewers-claim-michael-kirkman-from-padres.html

Kirkman was in the Brewers' system last year up until the point he was released from Colorado Springs on August 1st. He tweeted about not being too appreciative of the release, but that must be water under the bridge for him now.

The MLB Trade Rumors piece says that he has options left, but I don't believe that's the case. Edit: They've since corrected themselves.

The Brewers' 40-man roster is now full. They'll have to make a move on the 25-man roster to make room for Kirkman. Goforth is going back to AAA, I'd imagine.

I remember when that happened last year and it was a kind of odd release. I guess now that there is a new GM opinions could change. Certainly needs better control if he wants to stick though.

is he really going to be put on the 25 man roster? if so- I don't understand this move at all, unless he becomes filler in AAA. cannot believe he would put together a strong enough campaign to be a "flip" candidate and is not part of 2018 and beyond, so is only taking a roster spot from young guys who may be that we need to see, evaluate, and give experience to on the MLB level - like Goforth, Cravy, Magnifico, Pena, Chapman, Burgos. what am I missing?

is he really going to be put on the 25 man roster? if so- I don't understand this move at all, unless he becomes filler in AAA. cannot believe he would put together a strong enough campaign to be a "flip" candidate and is not part of 2018 and beyond, so is only taking a roster spot from young guys who may be that we need to see, evaluate, and give experience to on the MLB level - like Goforth, Cravy, Magnifico, Pena, Chapman, Burgos. what am I missing?

None of the guys you mentioned are lefthanded? He's better and younger than Capuano? It only makes sense if Capuano is DFA'd to make room. Capuano's only been used in blowouts, and offers nothing as a loogy and has a 1.857 Whip and a 7.43 FIP. In short, Cappy looks like he's done. Nothing wrong with auditioning guys on a revolving basis. Eventually Smith will be back.

there is no need for a lefty in the bullpen if you have a reliever(s) who can get guys who hit from the left side of the plate out, or for that matter, who do well against either side. furthermore, for the purpose of this year, what does it matter? this whole year is like an extended spring training in some aspects. it is about seeing which guys will "make the team"- meaning for 2018 and beyond and finding out which guys are either trade chips or bums. kirkman serves none of these purposes.

MA finally opening that fat wallet a bit.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Archived