Brewer Fanatic

Expectations, time to revise again?

Zero chance the Brewers will (or should) play in the FA market next off-season. Zero. Other than a Carter type signing, of course. At some point they will invest in FA, but they're most likely 3-4 years away from that.

W/L record wise, they could be every bit as bad next year. That will depend a lot who they trade between now and then. But even in a best case scenario, just no way they add payroll next year.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
At this point, Hader & Nelson look like possibilities for a future rotation. Still need 3 more. I trust they'll get one in the 1st Round of the upcoming draft.
The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

Not necessarily. I don't think they'll pass on a position player if there's not clearly a pitcher who's better. But, even if they do take a pitcher it will take a few years of development, injury risk, etc. Point being, not even close to penciling in anyone from this year's draft into the future rotation.

I think they will take as close to a cant miss prospect as they can get under slot regardless of position.

That was Melvin's strategy to start re-stocking an empty system. It will be interesting to see if they continue that strategy going forward. They could just as easily sign an over-slot guy to try to get more "star power" into the system, and then pick some college seniors later to save money.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

I think they will take as close to a cant miss prospect as they can get under slot regardless of position.

That was Melvin's strategy to start re-stocking an empty system. It will be interesting to see if they continue that strategy going forward. They could just as easily sign an over-slot guy to try to get more "star power" into the system, and then pick some college seniors later to save money.

Wasnt that Houston's strategy too?

Wasnt that Houston's strategy too?

I think it's pretty common when stocking up a system devoid of talent, so a lot of teams in the early stages of a rebuild should do it. With that strategy, you forego what is presumed to be the best talent in order to get a greater number of high-upside players in the system. If you already have a talented system, you can still utilize this strategy, but you could also afford to go the opposite route, "punting away" some later picks in order to get the guy who is assumed to be the best player in the first round.

Since baseball picks are something of a crapshoot, there is something to be said for always using the strategy of getting multiple high-upside guys instead of one highly touted but expensive player and a bunch of schmoes, but at some point, it may make sense to pick the guy in the first round who looks like he'll be a star, but wants over-slot value.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Zero chance the Brewers will (or should) play in the FA market next off-season. Zero.

I don't think we're far off on our estimates. I just don't like using absolutes in an uncertain world.

The likely scenario is that Lucroy is traded this season, opening a big hole in the MLB roster with hopes of shoring up a couple of holes on future MLB rosters. Without Lucroy and with some question marks in the rotation and other areas, it's unlikely they try to compete next year, so it's unlikely they spend too much in free agency this coming offseason. There is also a chance that Braun will be moved, making it very unlikely that they will be competitive next year.

But, there's the chance that some people play well, and Lucroy is traded for good prospect who can step right in to the MLB rotation. I could see Attanasio being willing to sign a good free agent pitcher before they're probably ready to be in playoff talks. Maybe not likely, but possible.

~Bill Walsh

Not necessarily. I don't think they'll pass on a position player if there's not clearly a pitcher who's better. But, even if they do take a pitcher it will take a few years of development, injury risk, etc. Point being, not even close to penciling in anyone from this year's draft into the future rotation.

Thus my wording of "possibility".

The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

Archived