Brewer Fanatic

John Danks

He's in DFA limbo right now but will end up being released and available for major league minimum soon.

Yeah his numbers this year are ugly (though by Brewer standards about average), and he's a soft tossing lefty these days, but he's put up ERA's of 4.75, 4.74, and 4.70 as a soft tossing lefty the last 3 years in the AL as a fixture in Chicago's rotation. One would assume he'd be capable of slightly better than that in the NL. Even this year, he does have one quality start among his 4, which would be tied for 2nd among Brewer starters. He also has 16K's in 22 innings, all in the AL. He's certainly no worse than Capuano. In 2015, he registered 15 quality starts of his 30 total. It probably hurt him being in a rotation with 3 other lefties too.

Not a great flip candidate but heck, look at the teams that picked up Randy Wolf after Brewers released him a few years ago.

Verified Member
I'm really not worried about flip candidates, or even lightning in a bottle out of any pitching signing. We just need someone that can eat some innings. We're running out of viable options. Start bringing in the old soft tossers to take a few turns through the rotation.

In terms of value - no thanks. You have to go back about 5 years to find a point where he was valuable in any form.

If we're looking for someone in a few weeks/months to just eat some innings to hold the fort down for one more year while Lopez, et. al hang in the minors...sure. Though, I will say, there are many more intriguing players to do that with than Danks. I would prefer someone that flamed out but was once a stud or something to that tune. Might as well have upside if you're grabbing a guy just to soak up 80-100 innings later on this year.

Archived