Brewer Fanatic

Bring Up Reed

rickh150

Can't put Flores and Niewenhuis in the same sentence. Kirk has done a decent job so far while Flores has been flat out awful, yet it's Kirk who can't seem to get any constant playing time. Counsell is beginning to annoy.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

I just talk about how bad Flores is and he just drives in two runs.

Yeah that lazy bloop will get him even more starting time with Counsell.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

I really want to see Flores play this year. His minor league numbers are nice. They profile very well. He's likely still adapting to MLB pitching while shaking off the rust of his horrible injury

Flores does not profile well at all. No power no speed mediocre fielder. His one strength is the ability to take a walk which is fine except when you have no power, MLB pitchers won't walk you.

He has no value to a major league team.

Pressley has been stinging the ball so far. Maybe its because Flores has been so bad but he's looked solid. Niewenhuis has done a fine job so far too. Maybe he's contact challenged but he's done a solid job.

Flores earned it in the minors, he's only played 19 games for us and 12 for the Yankees last year. I think he should get 300 PAs this year one way or another.
I tried to log in on my iPad. Turns out it was an etch-a-sketch and I don't own an iPad. Also, I'm out of vodka.

I'm more curious why people want to plug Reed into CF when he's never been the 1st CF option on any minor league team he's been on?

Is CF production really that important this year? I've long advocated for a patient approach, there's nothing patient about calling MiLB players in April of a season this team clearly won't be competitive in. It's like looking at the transaction forum and seeing threads for Gomez, Lincecum, Panda, and Bauer... Melvin's strategy didn't allow the organization to sustain success, yet we're going to jump right back on that aging veteran bandwagon trying to catch lightening in a bottle for a single season in hope of grabbing a couple of extra wins and potential trade value?

There's no reason to go Super 2 with any current players from this crop of prospects, nor is there a pressing need that will make significant a difference.

Let the players in AAA play a whole season there and lets see how things shake out roster wise next season.

Finally, if we're going to be a bottom 10 team, I'd rather be at the extreme bottom than at 10. Trading any assets to assist the MLB club only hurts this rebuilding process that many of us saw coming but wanted no part of, have the patience and fortitude to see the process through.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

I'm more curious why people want to plug Reed into CF when he's never been the 1st CF option on any minor league team he's been on?

Is CF production really that important this year? I've long advocated for a patient approach, there's nothing patient about calling MiLB players in April of a season this team clearly won't be competitive in. It's like looking at the transaction forum and seeing threads for Gomez, Lincecum, Panda, and Bauer... Melvin's strategy didn't allow the organization to sustain success, yet we're going to jump right back on that aging veteran bandwagon trying to catch lightening in a bottle for a single season in hope of grabbing a couple of extra wins and potential trade value?

There's no reason to go Super 2 with any current players from this crop of prospects, nor is there a pressing need that will make significant a difference.

Let the players in AAA play a whole season there and lets see how things shake out roster wise next season.

Finally, if we're going to be a bottom 10 team, I'd rather be at the extreme bottom than at 10. Trading any assets to assist the MLB club only hurts this rebuilding process that many of us saw coming but wanted no part of, have the patience and fortitude to see the process through.

Can Reed play at the major league level? Don't know, but he is playing well in AAA.

Could he be a part of the core going forward? Don't know.

Is he projected to be a starting OF on the Brewers in the near to late future? No. (As of now, Phillips is penciled in CF, Santana in RF, Braun/Clark? in LF)

Could he fill a need now? Yes. His right handed OF bat and speed does that.

Are we hurting the future by bringing him up? No, of course not.

Are the Brewers still trying to win games at the major league level? All signs point to yes.... Struggling pitchers are sent down. Aged Hill is playing almost everyday instead of youth. Braun, Lucroy, and other regulars are getting major at bats to strategically try and win games. The better players are playing. The games are being managed to win, whether you want them to or not.

I' m all for keeping Arcia, Hader, Phillips in the minors this year. No need to use a year up on potentially expensive home-grown free agents. I get that, especially for a small market team. Reed is a different case. He has a nice window to play a bunch at the major league level now and show what he has for the future. Future salary and years of control shouldn't be a major concern.

If you are against playing Reed, you should be against playing young Santana at the major league level this year too, correct? Youngsters Villar, Davies, etc. shouldn't be playing in the majors either then. Where do we draw the line on who should be up or down?

When Broxton was sent down, I thought Reed would be the call up, but I understand calling up Presley. He and Young were kept as "insurance" at AAA, but they were taking up space at AAA when we have a lot of young, talented OFs that will eventually need those spots, so eventually they had to either be called up or let go. Presley was hitting well, and has continued to hit since the call up.

Part of this season is seeing how young "fringy" guys can play at the MLB level. Reed fits in this category, and I believe that he will see time at the MLB level at some point this season. Another part of this season is to see if some "buy low" veterans can play well enough to either secure themselves roles on future Brewer teams, or to build some trade value for deadline deals.

It's not "let's play the best option so we can win," but it's also not "let's play the worst options so we will lose." It's really about trying to figure out how to put our players into the best position to add the most future value to the franchise, whether that's keeping them in the minors to retain more "team control," whether it's playing them at the MLB level even when they aren't performing in hopes of a hot streak that allows for a trade, or whether it's some other situation.

Since in my opinion Presley and Young were retained as "insurance," it makes sense that Presley was the first call-up, but it also leads me to believe that they won't hesitate to dump him if he plays bad or trade him if he plays well. Kirk is playing well enough that he will get most of the starts in CF for now, and at some point they will bring up a RH hitter as well.

Broxton has been playing well since his demotion. If he keeps that up, I think he, not Reed, will be the first option when the Brewers think it's time to make a move. But barring injury, that could be a little while, as they can't move Flores without losing him and Presley has played okay since being called up.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

It's not "let's play the best option so we can win," but it's also not "let's play the worst options so we will lose." It's really about trying to figure out how to put our players into the best position to add the most future value to the franchise

You win the internet today Monty. Your whole post is great, but this part of it really needs to be emphasized.

It's not "let's play the best option so we can win," but it's also not "let's play the worst options so we will lose." It's really about trying to figure out how to put our players into the best position to add the most future value to the franchise

You win the internet today Monty. Your whole post is great, but this part of it really needs to be emphasized.

Seconded.

Is Reed a gold glove caliber outfielder? Is there room for power? I understand that he's an excellent OBP guy with decent SB potential, but I don't really see what the excitement is all about just looking at the raw numbers. If not, he looks like somebody that maybe has a ceiling of Nori Aoki production (from the RH side of the plate)...does that sound about right?

Just not a fan of the lefty on lefty late in games...

What about righty on righty?

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

I think the point was that we have all lefty options in CF right now. During Conley's near-no-hitter, I was cringing watching Flores bat against Conley lefty v lefty.

Lots of RH hitters can hit RHP, that's the difference.

With that said, yea it's not ideal to have only LH options off the bench to PH. But that is temporary, and even if it wasn't it really doesn't matter this year. Actually, it gives guys a chance to prove they can PH and get on base vs LHP. And there's a bunch of these guys that need to be put in a position to show what they can do, or can't do.

Maybe the team is just holding him down for team control which should be close to gaining that extra year if he so happened to stay on the ML roster. This is what happens when you play somebody in Sept. Why the Cubs didn't play Bryant in 2014 Sept and held him down to start 2015. Of course at the same time you give Reed some more AAA at bats to see if he's truly worthy of callup. Reality likely is. Kirk N has cemented himself at CF and will gain the majority of playing time. He fits the Trade Likely player and when that happens, Reed gets called up and Phillips is promoted to AAA. Not that expect any kind of real prospect in trading him. Probably a RP that may have the ceiling of AAAA.

.283 .353 .435 .788 is good enough out of our CF. If he continues to post anywhere near this line, Reed has no role on the Brewers club. Let him get his playing time in on the AAA team. If Kirk falters and we have no one else step up then fine, bring up Reed and let him have a shot playing full time.

Archived