Brewer Fanatic

Chris Carter Trade Value

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think he still ends up being the same Chris Carter. He's on one of his hot streaks. However, maybe small sample, but his o-Swing % is down, contact rate up and swstr% is down. Maybe he's just swinging less in general during this hot start.

First though...Chris Carter was an instant steal at $2.5mil. He is worth that hitting .200 hitting 40 homers. Anything above that is just a bonus.

There could be something to his hot streak. He did supposably change his approach so his average could creep up a bit. The thing is at a .240 average Chris Carter would be really valuable. Something of which I think is obtainable for him. If his change in approach can boost his average a bit and truly lead to more doubles he is a legit bat.

First though...Chris Carter was an instant steal at $2.5mil. He is worth that hitting .200 hitting 40 homers. Anything above that is just a bonus.

There could be something to his hot streak. He did supposably change his approach so his average could creep up a bit. The thing is at a .240 average Chris Carter would be really valuable. Something of which I think is obtainable for him. If his change in approach can boost his average a bit and truly lead to more doubles he is a legit bat.

Dare I say lock him up for a few years if it continues? So long as it isn't 10-15 million per or something astronomical. Ain't like we have solutions at 1B anyway.

Dare I say lock him up for a few years if it continues? So long as it isn't 10-15 million per or something astronomical. Ain't like we have solutions at 1B anyway.

He's ours until 2019 if we want him. He will go through the arby process which I would assume if he continues at the pace he is going, he'll be due for a pay raise.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

That's just it. Failed to realize this. If he's under team control til 2019. Essentially we paid 2.5mil his last pre-Arby year. Or his first Arby year. So really 2.5 if pre-Arby is an overpay. And just about right for 1st Arby.

He's ours until 2019 if we want him. He will go through the arby process which I would assume if he continues at the pace he is going, he'll be due for a pay raise.

Why do you want to keep a player that wont be here when we are good again?

Keeping him is like Herb Kohl always going for the 8th seed

Why do you want to keep a player that wont be here when we are good again?

Keeping him is like Herb Kohl always going for the 8th seed

I think you are quoting the wrong person. I didn't say that.

Carter was signed to be flipped at the deadline if he produced and he's doing just that. We're not going to get a top 100 prospect or anything for him, but if he keeps this up until July, we could still get a nice piece or two. Unless he's injured, there is virtually no chance he's here past July 31, nor should he be.
"I wish him the best. I hope he finds peace and happiness in his life and is able to enjoy his life. I wish him the best." - Ryan Braun on Kirk Gibson 6/17/14

Carter was signed to be flipped at the deadline if he produced and he's doing just that. We're not going to get a top 100 prospect or anything for him, but if he keeps this up until July, we could still get a nice piece or two. Unless he's injured, there is virtually no chance he's here past July 31, nor should he be.

Of course there is a reason to keep him past the deadline: the offers for him aren't good, and you believe they will be better in 2017 if he shows a full season's worth of excellent production.

I think that is assuming a little too much as concrete.

Obviously the best case scenario is that he keeps playing as he has and a team gives us a real prospect in July.

But, I could clearly see the Brewers retaining Carter through the deadline if they don't get as a good an offer as they want. And there is definitely no reason to just take whatever is offered. Why is there a rush to get rid of him, it isn't like there is a Fielder waiting to come up? I could easily see the Brewers keeping him for 1.5 years, before trading him.

Also depends on where the Brewers are record wise. While they talk of a rebuild, if they are within a few games of .500 and they are not blown away by an offer for him, they will keep him to be competitive. Still have to put butts in the seats for this franchise to be worth anything.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Also depends on where the Brewers are record wise. While they talk of a rebuild, if they are within a few games of .500 and they are not blown away by an offer for him, they will keep him to be competitive. Still have to put butts in the seats for this franchise to be worth anything.

Let's also remember that sports franchises continuously sell for hundreds upon hundreds of millions each sale, regardless of Chris Carter plays for them or not.

Let's also remember that sports franchises continuously sell for hundreds upon hundreds of millions each sale, regardless of Chris Carter plays for them or not.

I guess I should've been more clear. Our payroll is dependent on butts in the seats. The more people to turn the gates at Miller Park, the better. Having a guy like Carter smashing bombs on a team hovering .500 can do that for you.

Not trying to suggest Carter is going to become a superstar, but as I've said before, we need to remember some historical strides hitters have made

Player A (first 6 seasons, 1754 AB, 59 HR, .238/.329/729)

Player A (next 6 seasons, 2962 AB, 227 HR, .268/.390/.945)

Player B (first 4 seasons, 1005 AB, 44 HR, .252/.301/.749)

Player B (next 4 seasons, 2122 AB, 159 HR, .256/.342/.876)

Player C (first 7 seasons, 2731 AB, 117 HR, .260/.331/.784)

Player C (next 4 seasons, 2077 AB, 151 HR, .274/.371/.919)

Player D (first 4 seasons, 557 AB, 22HR, .251/.312/.743)

Player D (next 7 seasons, 3537 AB, 219 HR, .277/.338/860)

At some point with all 4 of these players, teams gave up on them. Given continued opportunities, they all thrived. Sometimes sluggers with raw power take longer to figure things out. These guys "figured it out" at 29, 26, 29, and 28. Carter is in his age 29 season. He may not sustain his current pace, but he'll quite possibly regress to something better than his career line of .221/.314/.778 for the next couple seasons. At this point I'm prepared to hold onto him until someone is willing to give a nice package for him (most likely July '17).

Is this the first time Carter has been a regular starter? I know he had a big year a few years ago but I thought he was splitting 1B with Jon Singleton. If this is his first time as a regular starter maybe this is really who he is. If that is the case I still don't know if you keep him or trade him.

Chris Carter had two years of over 500 ABS so yes he has played the bulk of the time before.

Carter talked about all his work in the offseason and naturally that would make most believe some of this is real, but NOTHING in his advanced stats has changed. Not a single thing has positively changed. Instead we are left with a HR/FB percentage way over career norms and a BABIP that is also well over his norms. It all really seems like smoke and mirrors sadly. I'd expect him to come back down to earth. The best I would expect is a .230-240 average.

Until then we can enjoy it and have that sliver of hope it keeps on going even though everything points to it not.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Is this the first time Carter has been a regular starter? I know he had a big year a few years ago but I thought he was splitting 1B with Jon Singleton. If this is his first time as a regular starter maybe this is really who he is. If that is the case I still don't know if you keep him or trade him.

Carter has played OF and DH as well, allowing him to pretty much be full time (or close to it) the last three years.

Not trying to suggest Carter is going to become a superstar, but as I've said before, we need to remember some historical strides hitters have made

Player A (first 6 seasons, 1754 AB, 59 HR, .238/.329/729)

Player A (next 6 seasons, 2962 AB, 227 HR, .268/.390/.945)

Player B (first 4 seasons, 1005 AB, 44 HR, .252/.301/.749)

Player B (next 4 seasons, 2122 AB, 159 HR, .256/.342/.876)

Player C (first 7 seasons, 2731 AB, 117 HR, .260/.331/.784)

Player C (next 4 seasons, 2077 AB, 151 HR, .274/.371/.919)

Player D (first 4 seasons, 557 AB, 22HR, .251/.312/.743)

Player D (next 7 seasons, 3537 AB, 219 HR, .277/.338/860)

At some point with all 4 of these players, teams gave up on them. Given continued opportunities, they all thrived. Sometimes sluggers with raw power take longer to figure things out. These guys "figured it out" at 29, 26, 29, and 28. Carter is in his age 29 season. He may not sustain his current pace, but he'll quite possibly regress to something better than his career line of .221/.314/.778 for the next couple seasons. At this point I'm prepared to hold onto him until someone is willing to give a nice package for him (most likely July '17).

A - Jose Bautista

B - Chris Davis

C - Edwin Encarnacion

D - I can't figure out. I thought maybe Big Papi but it doesn't look like it.

EDIT: D - Nelson Cruz. Duh.

This is Jack Burton in the Pork Chop Express, and I'm talkin' to whoever's listenin' out there.

The reason you keep Carter unless a "can't pass up" offer comes along is because we have NOTHING at 1st base, or in the minors.

That is the dumbest reason not to trade him.... You don't give him away, but if the right package comes along, you trade him

Archived