Brewer Fanatic

Scooter to the 15 day DL, Hernan Perez recalled from AAA

Hammer

This sucks as Scooter was actually one of the fun/bright spots so far this season.

Another part here: Garza was moved to the 60-day DL to make room.

@BrewCrewCritic on Twitter "Racing Sausages" - "Huh?"

Okay can we get rid of Rivera now then and bring up a left handed bat like Cecchini? Too many light hitting righties that do much of the same (Hill, Rivera, now Perez). Or even better, dumping Hill all together. Not going to happen but one can dream.

And Garza to the 60 day pretty much guarantees not reaching that bench mark of starts for the option.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Would rather they not brought up Perez as it give them less flexibility adding another guy with no options and perhaps creating a 40 man roster crunch down the line when these guys start coming off the 60 day DL. Maybe nearing the end of the Hill experiment but I doubt it.

Rivera will need to get regular AB's at some point anyway. When Scooter comes off the DL, Rivera will go down to AAA. If Walsh continues to only draw the occasional walk, he might just be gone too. It's not like he's a kid who's a top prospect. Perez has been swinging a hot bat at AAA and is the right call to be brought up if they had the roster room. If Rivera hadn't had such a hot spring or Walsh taken in the rule 5, Perez would have been a no-brainer.

As for Hill, his metrics say he's been about as unlucky as possibly be. He's hit the ball hard to no avail though he does have 3 sac flies. He'll be here until they find a team needed a veteran in July or August.

Hopefully Walsh gets starts and not moved behind Perez for starts.

Perez has much more of a track record than Walsh and he's a year and a half younger. Walsh has patience and a great eye. That's his lone skill. It's taken him until his age 26 to make the big leagues where he's 1 for 19.

Perez has much more of a track record than Walsh and he's a year and a half younger. Walsh has patience and a great eye. That's his lone skill. It's taken him until his age 26 to make the big leagues where he's 1 for 19.

I don't usually agree with Mr.Briggs, but I am here. Perez is better than Walsh and deserves to start over him. Only reason Colin Walsh is even on the MLB roster is because of being a Rule 5 guy. I would rather see what Perez can provide and see if he is worth holding onto at the end of the season. Walsh seems, and probably rightfully so, like he is just being stashed and back to the minors next year. Giving him sporadic at-bats when he looks over matched probably wouldn't do anything useful.

Not saying I expect anything out of Perez, but he is better and I would rather watch him. I just don't think the Brewers are all that serious about giving Walsh at-bats, but we shall see. For the record I actually don't even prefer to have Perez there...I would rather give the at-bats to Yadiel Rivera. However if picking between Walsh/Perez I pick Perez.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
If Perez could EITHER draw a walk OR hit for a bit of power, he'd have some use, but as it is he's just a singles hitting guy who has crappy OBP. He's versatile, and he plays OK defense wherever you put him, which is useful, but that's about it. I just wish the guy would display a little pop (although he did have 15 doubles last year in 230 at bats).

I don't usually agree with Mr.Briggs, but I am here. Perez is better than Walsh and deserves to start over him. Only reason Colin Walsh is even on the MLB roster is because of being a Rule 5 guy. I would rather see what Perez can provide and see if he is worth holding onto at the end of the season. Walsh seems, and probably rightfully so, like he is just being stashed and back to the minors next year. Giving him sporadic at-bats when he looks over matched probably wouldn't do anything useful.

Not saying I expect anything out of Perez, but he is better and I would rather watch him. I just don't think the Brewers are all that serious about giving Walsh at-bats, but we shall see. For the record I actually don't even prefer to have Perez there...I would rather give the at-bats to Yadiel Rivera. However if picking between Walsh/Perez I pick Perez.

I'm just not seeing it unless you believe Walsh is going to continue to carry a .091 BABIP.

Even going 1 for 19, Walsh's career wOBA is .007 less than Perez's. Steamer project Perez at a 68 wRC and Walsh at an 83. Walsh is 26. I doubt the Brewers are simply carrying him to stash away his age 27 season back in AAA. Walsh is here because he is one of the 25 best players in the organization.

Now I would agree that Perez is still on the upward trajectory of his career but he hasnt shown in spring training or AAA that he has made any improvements in his patience at the plate.

What Rivera needs(playing time) is what Walsh needs....you think pinch hitting and 1start in a week will lead to consistent results? It's like oh he's 1-19 doesn't belong. We've played 20games! That's 1AB per game avg? It's not enough to draw conclusions. Get him 90% of starts at 2b these next 2weeks and then draw a conclusion. This is a great stretch to find out if he can be of value. He fails then return him solves 25man-40man when DL listers are fixing to be activated.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Walsh is 26. I doubt the Brewers are simply carrying him to stash away his age 27 season back in AAA.

I think this is a good point. Stearns grabbed the kid because he felt he had enough value/talent to carry on 25 man all year. He's not a developmental guy that they're carrying so they can shove him back in the minors for 2-3 years.....he's someone that Stearns thinks can play. At some point at age 26, he's going to have to be given a sink or swim opportunity for an extended period. With Scooter on the DL, this might be the time.

Would rather they not brought up Perez as it give them less flexibility adding another guy with no options and perhaps creating a 40 man roster crunch down the line when these guys start coming off the 60 day DL. Maybe nearing the end of the Hill experiment but I doubt it.

They still have plenty of flexibility. By the time they need a spot for someone coming off the 60-day DL there will be some answers on some of these players. Walsh might be cut loose, Hill might be cut loose, or someone else. A month from now, which is the earliest it will be an issue, they'll dump someone that we don't care about.

Rivera profiles as a Clint Barmes type, but with even better defense. I have no problem with him being a backup or part-time player. In fact, I'd have had him starting at 3b much more. Hill is actually outperforming my expectations.

Rivera profiles as a Clint Barmes type, but with even better defense. I have no problem with him being a backup or part-time player. In fact, I'd have had him starting at 3b much more. Hill is actually outperforming my expectations.

Not trying to be a jerk but how does a guy Ops'ing under .500 outperform your expectations?

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Not trying to be a jerk but how does a guy Ops'ing under .500 outperform your expectations?

You said it yourself. I thought he'd get cut in spring. I've actually been surprised with his defense and thought that Tuesday night--had there not been strong winds--he would have hit a huge homer. And Brew4u, why would that sound like being a jerk? .500 OPS is better than I expected. Hill has been terrible for several years.

Archived