Brewer Fanatic

2016 Pitching Staff

pacopete4

With 10% of our season completed here is a ranking of where our pitching staff is this season.

Team:

#29 ERA (5.65)

#30 WHIP (1.64)

#30 AVG (.304)

Nelson's current ranking in those categories individually are:

#43 ERA (3.46)

#45 WHIP (1.23)

#41 AVG (.229)

#7 WINS (3)

I thought last year was bad but wow, so far this has been pretty brutal. It is amazing we have won 8 games.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Jungmann, Davies, and Peralta have been extremely bad, so.....

The Brewers pitchers give up a lot of walks/9, give up a lot of hits/9, give up a TON of homers, and don't strike out a lot of batters. I mean...... what else can you say? I'm sure there's analysis that breaks it down, but as a whole group they're just bad across the board.

I think a lot of people (myself included) were thinking (and hoping) that Jungmann's late season collapse was just a dead/tired arm, and hey, it's still early and he can maybe pull out of this. It's just four starts. It's just concerning that his velocity is down. But Jungmann is only one small piece of the puzzle. This whole staff aside from Nelson and a few of the relievers has been pretty bad.

It also doesn't help that we're missing Smith and Knebel.

I knew the team would be brutal, but that was based on offense and defense. I assumed the young rotation would be decent to good. So far, only Nelson has been adequate.

But comparison purposes, perennial last place pitching staff Colorado has a 5.70 ERA compared to the Brewers 5.65. Atlanta, the current worst team in baseball, has a 4.53 ERA.

Briggs may just have a point with the pitching coach.

Briggs might be right, of course. The guy is brand new and could fall flat on his face in the pros but it is way too early to make that assumption. The guy has been a pitching coach for 10% of one regular season in the MLB. Not only this like the before mentioned, there has been injuries that have struck this staff and depth isn't really our strong suit. Same could be said about Counsell. He hasn't won a lot but so far, I think he's done a solid job with the team he has been presented.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Briggs might be right, of course. The guy is brand new and could fall flat on his face in the pros but it is way too early to make that assumption. The guy has been a pitching coach for 10% of one regular season in the MLB. Not only this like the before mentioned, there has been injuries that have struck this staff and depth isn't really our strong suit. Same could be said about Counsell. He hasn't won a lot but so far, I think he's done a solid job with the team he has been presented.

The injuries have been to the bullpen and while it too has been bad, outside of Freeman it hasn't been that bad. The 5.65 ERA for the most part has been all on the starting rotation that, outside of Nelson, has underperformed.

I guess Garza coming back should help, but that statement alone says its all.

Im not disappointed that the offense and defense has been poor. We all knew it would be. If you give meaningful ABs to a Broxton a Hill, and a Flores, you arent trying to score a whole lot of runs. None of those guys are really the future of the team so when they performed poorly, meh. On a side note did you see this on Broxton at Omaha????

https://twitter.com/BrewCrewBlue/status/724733263122706433/photo/1?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

The starting rotation however, was the one area we really were in building mode. Those guys were supposed to be the next wave of good talent that would make a 2018 play off run reasonable. If Johnson isnt the guy, then they need to correct that ASAP.

Worst yet, entering the season there was the chance guys like Burgos and Suter could come up and help for awhile. And then Lopez, for hopefully more of a long-term solution. But early on, AAA rotation is every bit as bad as the Brewers rotation.

Worst yet, entering the season there was the chance guys like Burgos and Suter could come up and help for awhile. And then Lopez, for hopefully more of a long-term solution. But early on, AAA rotation is every bit as bad as the Brewers rotation.

Is some of this due to where they are pitching? Or are they just not good?

Is some of this due to where they are pitching? Or are they just not good?

Impossible to know the answer to that for sure. Burgos and Suter are probably just not that good. Each had some success at times, but never enough to indicate they could ever be more than a AAAA type starting pitcher. Lopez, of course, had a great year last year. I don't buy it's all due to CS, but who knows. And, again, it is still very early in the season.

Lopez has been pretty terrible; that is the obvious disappointment at AAAA. I don't know what is peripherals look like but ERA, WHIP, H/9, BB/9 are all horrific. At least his K/9 is still up there. If he were performing better he probably would be banging on the Milwaukee door right now. Guerra is the only pitcher that would even remotely deserve a shot right now.

How useful are stats, even advanced ones, when certain pitches don't work right in the thin air? For instance how do you judge a guy who relies on a curveball as his primary offspeed pitch when it won't work like it should?
There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

Suter has a 12:1 K:BB ratio and has only allowed 1 HR in his 4 starts 19.1 Innings, Lopez has just had some problems with walks. I'm not too worried with the AAA rotation yet.

Suter has a 12:1 K:BB ratio and has only allowed 1 HR in his 4 starts 19.1 Innings, Lopez has just had some problems with walks. I'm not too worried with the AAA rotation yet.

You're not? First of all, that's only two guys, what about the other three? Lopez WHIP is over 2.00! Suter has some good peripheral numbers, but has given up a ton of hits. Again, I agree it's early. But if we're looking at results so far, it is worse that the Brewers rotation.

This is pretty much expected from this set of pitchers

=Jimmy Nelson - Solid but inconsistent. Expected

=Wily Peralta - Rough start. People hoped he would rebound, but not surprising he has not.

=Taylor Jungmann - Fell back down to earth. Not surprising at all.

=Chase Anderson - #5 type pitcher as expected.

=Zach Davies - Maybe the most overrated player in awhile. He is 6' and weighs 155 pounds according to BR.com and people are expecting a sub 4 ERA and a #3 starter. Will never get the excitement for him.

=Bullpen - A bunch of no names and Will Smith is hurt. A disaster as expected.

Can we just bring up Hader already.

Really, their best bet right now is to see if Peralta/Jungmann/Anderson/Davies can be effective at all. All have had varying levels of success at the MLB level (I know the sample size is small for Davies). There's no percentage in bringing up any guys who management think are part of the real future of the Brewers, as they would be burning service time in a throwaway season. Keep running this bunch out, pull the worst of them when Garza comes back and send that one out. Start filling in with call-ups after the All Star break.

Archived