Brewer Fanatic

2016-04-26 Brewers (Nelson) at Cubs (Hendricks), 7:05 PM CDT [Brewers lose, 4-3]

1992casey
Santana is unimpressive, I hope he is able to figure things out.

A lot of love for his exit velocity, but it has been nearly useless. Not to mention his BABIP is like .380 and he is batting .270

He has some positives, but it sure isn't turning into results.

Tough crowd. Coming into the game he had an OBP of .359 and an OPS of .808. He's only 23 and has shown a lot of improvement so far this year. I'm not sure what people expect.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Can you imagine how horrible this team would be to watch without Ryan Braun?

This is what I mean when I say he needs to be held on to vs traded. There isn't a #3 batter like him for this team forthcoming this season or next.

You want to spend $30mil the next two years so we have a good #3 hitter on a 90+ loss team?

There are arguments to not trade Braun...but that one seems like a bit of a stretch.

This is what I mean when I say he needs to be held on to vs traded. There isn't a #3 batter like him for this team forthcoming this season or next.

You want to spend $30mil the next two years so we have a good #3 hitter on a 90+ loss team?

There are arguments to not trade Braun...but that one seems like a bit of a stretch.

Nope, I said it. Our #3 if Braun is traded is Gennett or Santana. Before you say Lucroy/Carter just know those two are far more likely to be gone before Braun is.

Edit: As Markedman put it he's the reason folks watch/ or Attend Games. When Lucroy is already traded and Braun becomes traded I'd imaging attendance goes from 25k to 16k. 2/30million for him is well worth it because he just flat out hits. Without him and sans Lucroy. Once the pitchers gave up 2runs I'd believe the game is over.

His AB with 2runners on and I'm thinking this game could be tied.

Short answer is yes. Payroll is low and they still have to sell tickets the next couple of years. If a team has a good offer than my answer will change but not holding my breath.

That 30 million means nothing to a rebuilding team... Their payroll is already so low, that 30 mil. just doesn't matter.

If we get rid of every name player the casual fan knows, no matter what some think, there will be fewer trips to Miller Park for a lot of people. Your tailgating work party might move someplace else if there are no players on the field anyone recognizes.

I'm all for trading him for an overwhelming offer, but trading him to get rid of his salary I can not get behind.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

If we get rid of every name player the casual fan knows, no matter what some think, there will be fewer trips to Miller Park for a lot of people. Your tailgating work party might move someplace else if there are no players on the field anyone recognizes.

Sorry, I just strongly disagree. I think fans realize they are rebuilding, and are far more excited to go out and see the top prospects when they arrive. They rather go out to see Arcia, Phillips, Hader, etc. than hanging on the past. Those guys offer a sense a hope. Having Braun means making plans to go out to see a 36-49 team instead of a 38-47 team. Big deal.

No way of ever proving this one way or another. All I know is I'm hearing more and more fans (even casual fans) bring up Arcia and Hader, so I know there's some excitement there.

Read facebook forums, etc, the casual fan has no idea of the rebuilding concept. They have no idea that the MLB team builds from the minor league clubs, and that restocking those clubs is the future of the MLB team. They are mad that we suck, and we traded away all the "good" players. It's everywhere.

Not everyone who semi follows the team is a brewerfan.net member...

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Read facebook forums, etc, the casual fan has no idea of the rebuilding concept. They have no idea that the MLB team builds from the minor league clubs, and that restocking those clubs is the future of the MLB team. They are mad that we suck, and we traded away all the "good" players. It's everywhere.

This is completely true. Couldn't agree more. Doesn't mean I don't think a rebuild wasn't in order but fans do care who they are trading away. Now the argument can be made that it won't matter once they start to win again but that's IF they start to win again. There is no guarantee. If you trade away a Braun, who believe it or not is still loved in Milwaukee, there are repercussions that follow, ie. some fans not turning the gates at Miller Park.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

This is completely true. Couldn't agree more. Doesn't mean I don't think a rebuild wasn't in order but fans do care who they are trading away. Now the argument can be made that it won't matter once they start to win again but that's IF they start to win again. There is no guarantee. If you trade away a Braun, who believe it or not is still loved in Milwaukee, there are repercussions that follow, ie. some fans not turning the gates at Miller Park.

Those people won't be going to games because the team is losing not because of who is or isn't on the team.

Those people won't be going to games because the team is losing not because of who is or isn't on the team.

I disagree to some extent here. Some people come out to see certain players. I know if the Brewers traded Braun this season I wouldn't make a 3 hour trip over to the park. Some other examples would be the starting pitching. I try to time up my games to a pitcher I actually want to see pitch.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

The casual fans don't care much about winning and losing either. They come out to tailgate, and once inside they're there to eat, drink, talk, walk around.

And I do agree casual fans, in general, don't understand the rebuilding. But my point was they're slowly starting to get it and hearing about Arcia and some of the others. It's all over sports talk radio, the Journal, etc. Like I said, I'm starting to have more casual fans bring it up as the weeks go by. And all this before the prospects have been hyped by the Brewers.

Leading up to next season they will, and I really believe Arcia, Phillips, Hader, Lopez, etc. will bring more excitement than Braun. We all like shiny new toys. Same thing happened with Hardy, Fielder, Weeks, etc. if you recall. Fans loved Sexson, Burnitz, some of those guys. But they were quickly forgotten.

Leading up to next season they will, and I really believe Arcia, Phillips, Hader, Lopez, etc. will bring more excitement than Braun. We all like shiny new toys. Same thing happened with Hardy, Fielder, Weeks, etc. if you recall. Fans loved Sexson, Burnitz, some of those guys. But they were quickly forgotten.

This will be true unless Braun is OPS'ing 950-1000. If he's smoking the ball all season and returns to the MVP type hitter he is, fans will be all over him again.

On a different note, with all those guys you mention hopefully coming up next year, it just makes me want Braun to do the previous mentioned and still be on this team. It will make it a lot easier on those players coming up to not have as much focus on their production if Braun is being Braun. A guy like Carter mashing can help that situation as well.

Archived