Brewer Fanatic

Question about a wasp nest

paul253
So as I was hooking up my garden hose today I noticed two wasps fly into a tiny hole in the siding of my house. I had previously noticed a lot of wasp activity in that area and found one wasp in my house the other day. I took some wasp killer and sprayed it into the small opening in the siding. I bought some clear silicon sealer but haven't sealed it yet bc it was raining and I also wanted to spray some wasp killer into the hole a few more times. I assume there's a nest in there but don't know where. I have no idea if the killer is getting the job done or not. Obviously I don't want the nest to grow and get out of hand. Anyone have any advice. Is this something I need to get a professional for or is spraying and sealing good enough?

Sorry to hear of your dilemma.

Personally, I'd farm this out to a professional if the quick fixes that you've mentioned haven't worked. 1) It's a safety issue. 2) You don't want it to get worse and encounter a bigger safety issue down the road (or a bigger extermination bill). I'm sure rates vary largely by location and circumstances, but my wife and I paid $75 last summer to fix an issue that sounds similar to yours.

I had that issue a few years ago. I bought organic bee killer, and sprayed like hell under the siding where the bees were coming in and out. Inside the house I was able to pull back some of the insulation at the floor joist and seen the hive. I sprayed that also. I had 30 or so bees dead in my basement. I waited a couple of weeks to make sure the bee situation was gone and spray foamed under the siding, and that floor joist. I've not had a problem since.

If you go with a silicone sealer, you can actually buy some that contains ingredients that are supposed to repel insects and/or rodents to keep them from working their way back. I used that at my old house when i noticed a hole in the side of the garage big enough for field mice and some of the D-Con packets I had down in the garage were eaten (the mice had also made a nest next to the air filter of my wife's car during the winter). I sealed that hole up and they weren't able to get back inside.
Gruber Lawffices

Archived