Brewer Fanatic

Carlos Gomez on block?

OK, Brewers are just going with filler in CF this year. Gomez has been terrible this year and since the trade and Astros are losing patience with him fast. Probably wouldn't take much but a very insignificant prospect plus taking on the $7 million or so left on his contract to get him back. Concerns are his leg issues have caught up with him. Maybe he just never felt comfortable in Houston? Brewers certainly have salary room to take him back. Suppose a return to Miller Park sparks him? Would it be possible to deal him again?

Stearns was on the other side of what might be turning out to be Melvin's best deal ever. Would he consider it? Wait and see if he's released?

Hey don't beat me up for this suggestion, it's an off day and just having some fun with some "what ifs". We know Carlos loves Milwaukee and was a very popular Brewer.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Doesn't make sense. Astros won't deal him now and dealing for him at the deadline makes no sense for us. I thought about a possible 1 year deal this offseason, but Phillips would have to stay down till August then.

Doesn't make sense. Astros won't deal him now and dealing for him at the deadline makes no sense for us. I thought about a possible 1 year deal this offseason, but Phillips would have to stay down till August then.

If you read the Astros' sites, they might well be trying to unload him now. There are voices that sound like they are about to give up on him and cut their losses. They know they got snookered. The longer he stays and doesn't produce, it just increases the pain. Plus they have guys ready.

The way Carlos has not been producing, it's likely no team will look at him as a starter in FA this winter. If he'd be happy coming off the bench in Milwaukee as opposed to anywhere else, why not?

If you read the Astros' sites, they might well be trying to unload him now. There are voices that sound like they are about to give up on him and cut their losses. They know they got snookered. The longer he stays and doesn't produce, it just increases the pain. Plus they have guys ready.

The way Carlos has not been producing, it's likely no team will look at him as a starter in FA this winter. If he'd be happy coming off the bench in Milwaukee as opposed to anywhere else, why not?

I think he gets a starting job this winter...id be surprised if he didn't.

As for trading for him I would do it for basically free...don't know if I would throw more than a couple million to take him on. I just don't see him turning it around in just a few months. Not enough to get a useful return in July. And to take away at-bats from younger guys makes it less attractive no matter how bad they play.

While it'll never happen, it would be pretty smooth of Stearns to get Phillips-Santana-Hader-Houser and Gomez for Mike Fiers and whatever non-entity it would take to re-acquire Gomez. This is EXACTLY the type of move I expect of Stearns though moving forward...the cunning acquisition that drives another franchise's fans bonkers.

Having said that, Gomez no longer fits the profile of the new Brewers. His lack of patience at the plate and lack of fundamentals on the basepaths fly directly in the face of the type of player Stearns has targeted since his arrival.

Sure. We can trade them Niewenhuis and Broxton.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

While it'll never happen, it would be pretty smooth of Stearns to get Phillips-Santana-Hader-Houser

Having said that, Gomez no longer fits the profile of the new Brewers. His lack of patience at the plate and lack of fundamentals on the basepaths fly directly in the face of the type of player Stearns has targeted since his arrival.

Stearns didn't acquire those guys.

Secondly none of that matters because we aren't competing. For long term acquisitions you may be right to a degree. However for a 2-3 month rental his approach would mean absolutely nothing. If Stearns only plans to have a player around for a year or he hopes to flip I doubt he cares what they do if it can get him what he wants in the end...young controllable talent. No one said we were going to sign Gomez to a long term contract to be on the next competing team.

I was never a fan of Gomez and thought his good years at the plate were outliers.

They weren't outliers. He was legitimately that good. Unfortunately injuries(most notably his legs) and age may have caught up to him. He is the type of player that doesn't last long and sadly for him he figured it out late.

His baserunning, alone, was reason to get rid of Him. I cannot say that for any other player in the history of the organization. It was awful throughout.... no change or learning curve. Just plain miserable to watch...... But man, he was fast.

His baserunning, alone, was reason to get rid of Him. I cannot say that for any other player in the history of the organization. It was awful throughout.... no change or learning curve. Just plain miserable to watch...... But man, he was fast.

Why was it a reason to get rid of him? I just don't get it. So he had some base running blunders...probably costed us less runs/games than Fielder's horrid defense and everyone loved him.

Look at the big picture. Gomez was one of our best players for two years and had massive value to the team. Like every player he had weaknesses.

Wouldn't Houston just let his contract run out and offer him a QO instead of trading him for garbage? Sure he may take it but even then it's only a one year deal and you give him a chance to regain some value. Id guess Gomez is looking for a multi year deal given his age so him accepting the QO is no given.

Wouldn't Houston just let his contract run out and offer him a QO instead of trading him for garbage? Sure he may take it but even then it's only a one year deal and you give him a chance to regain some value. Id guess Gomez is looking for a multi year deal given his age so him accepting the QO is no given.

It's only 60 games, but considering that Gomez has about a .270 obp / .640 ops since joining the Astros, I think the last thing that the Astros have on their mind right now is actually risking paying him ~$15M to play another year for them. Plenty of time for Gomez to get hot, also plenty of time for him to have an injury and be out six weeks.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

I saw something (I apologize, but I don't recall where) where the writer was saying that many felt that Gomez had lost his legs. He'd lost his explosiveness, lost his edge. It's affected him in just about every phase of his game.

Considering the hammy injuries he had over the last year or so with Milwaukee, I can understand.

What exactly do you think he would get in a multi year deal? He has been absolutely dreadful. His best option might be a one year deal probably not over $8mil(utter max) or a two year deal around $15mil. His best bet is to take a one year deal and hope he can rebound to get a bigger 3 year deal. He would take that QO in a heartbeat at this point.

Gomez' complete collapse with Houston has been remarkable, there's no way I believe anyone could have predicted THIS.

I don't know if he's done, or if he's just made things worse for himself by pressing, which I could absolutely imagine with Carlos. I can't see Houston cutting him right now, they need him to perform, and I think they'll give him as much leash as they possibly can.

I just can't see the Brewers bringing him back here, but it would make for one heck of a story.

Why was it a reason to get rid of him? I just don't get it. So he had some base running blunders...probably costed us less runs/games than Fielder's horrid defense and everyone loved him.

Look at the big picture. Gomez was one of our best players for two years and had massive value to the team. Like every player he had weaknesses.

This isn't about Prince, this is about Gomez, who would not be a good link on a rebuilding team. He would have the opposite effect on young guys. The guy is just so irresponsible on the basepaths, the last thing we need now or in the future is another guy like him.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

This isn't about Prince, this is about Gomez, who would not be a good link on a rebuilding team. He would have the opposite effect on young guys. The guy is just so irresponsible on the basepaths, the last thing we need now or in the future is another guy like him.

Gomez won't make others play like him. I have never bought that argument. I wish it was that easy and we could get some .400 OBP player to infuse success into a guy like Gennett or Segura (last year)...but sadly it doesn't work that way.

Any stats to back up the Astros suddenly running wild on the base paths?

I would take Gomez back right now just because he is better than any other option we have. Problem with this thinking is that it doesn't allow anyone else a shot out there. Also we would have to give up something to get him which isn't smart at this point either. Couple that with Houston would look awfully foolish trading back a player to their original team after trading all they did in the first place to get him.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Maybe Gomez can be our new K-Rod. Sign him at a discount after this year for one year and then if gets it together flip him again at the deadline. Might not be too far fetched of an idea if his struggles last all year.

Maybe Gomez can be our new K-Rod. Sign him at a discount after this year for one year and then if gets it together flip him again at the deadline. Might not be too far fetched of an idea if his struggles last all year.

I thought the same too because I am sure the Brewers will be his first call this off season when (inevitably) goes looking for a one year deal to rebound, but then what do you do with Brett Phillips? I imagine the plan is for him to be called up next year after the cutoff line. Keeping him down till next August seems like a stretch.

Not really concerned about blocking other guys because none of them are really all that promising. What matters more is if Stearns is a fan of such deals(one year to flip). Which I am not so sure about. It's a nice thought, but probably not worth it. Gomez was a sweet dude to have around when he was good, but not sure I would want to deal with a really bad Gomez if that is what he ends up being next year.

I saw something (I apologize, but I don't recall where) where the writer was saying that many felt that Gomez had lost his legs. He'd lost his explosiveness, lost his edge. It's affected him in just about every phase of his game.

Considering the hammy injuries he had over the last year or so with Milwaukee, I can understand.

I wonder if he got too big/strong?

When we played Houston, Gomez looked like he could step in and play linebacker for a football team. The guy has always been so driven, but this is baseball not football, and for a guy with his skillset, adding too much muscle could be to his detriment.

Carlos never was the skinny slap hitting leadoff hitter type which Minnesota and the Brewers initially tried turning him into. He was more of a strong explosive athlete with blazing speed. Over his time as Brewer though, i could see him getting stronger and thicker each year after clearly hitting the weights. Given Gomez wasn't some plodding firstbaseman type, i just wonder if he crossed a line where getting stronger initially helped him, but he pushed it to far and thus he lost some flexibility and speed?

Or maybe the Mets were on to something on the hip issue?

What the Mets found wasn't total BS, but I don't think even they envisioned this. I don't think it has to do with his size...he has been huge for a long time. He had a skill set that burns up quick and probably accelerated by the injuries in the last year or two. I also believe his mentality has made it worse. Hard for him to handle the change/struggle of losing his mojo. Some players can adjust their game and last years in the league. Then you have some that fizzle out quickly because they can't adjust to a new type of game.

Archived