Brewer Fanatic

Braun trade value now

Braun's trade value seems so hard to predict right now. I continue to hear how big his contract is, and that we'd have to take on a sizeable amount in return. Another way to look at it might be to ask, if he were a FA right now, how much could he expect to get on the open market? Below are some comparisons from recently signed contracts. I'd say his contract is about at market value right now.

Name- contract length / Salary/year / Opening Day Age in 1st year of contract

RYAN BRAUN- 5 yrs / $21M / 32 in 2016

Robinson Cano - 10 yrs / 24M / 31 in 2014

Chris Davis - 7 yrs / 23M / 30 in 2016

Hanley Ramirez- 4 yrs / 22M / 31 in 2015

Jacoby Ellsbury - 7 yrs / 21.8M / 30 in 2014

Shin Shoo Choo - 7 yrs / 18.5M / 31 in 2014

Alex Gordon - 4 yrs / 18M / 32 in 2016

Russell Martin - 5 yrs / 16.4M / 32 in 2015

• Replies 732
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'd say his contract is about at market value right now.

And that is the problem. If we want some elite prospects we have to pick up money to make it an under market value contract. We pick up $20mil or so suddenly he is very attractive and more teams can afford his contract.

I'd say his contract is about at market value right now.

And that is the problem. If we want some elite prospects we have to pick up money to make it an under market value contract. We pick up $20mil or so suddenly he is very attractive and more teams can afford his contract.

A $20M contract back, or $4M per year on Braun's deal should be nothing to the Brewers if they can stock their farm system, which is very much still in need of difference makers.

Braun is playing so well right now, it would be a shame to not leverage that into a package of much needed prospects.

Watching that game yesterday, Zimmerman made the Nats helpless. The Phillies started the walk Harper strategy last week and the Cubs took it to the next level. Their season is over unless they get a real clean up hitter.

Not so sure it makes sense, they have healthy deals out to Heyward and Fowler already. Schwarber coming back next year and you'd have a crowded OF on your hands. I think the only way it would work is if they gave us Schwarber along with other pieces. I suppose if you're truly in World Series mode then why not. T

They need a C as well. Should be able to extract a ransom for both guys.

It does make a lot of sense. Cubs haven't won the WS in 612 years, I'm sure they feel at some point they need to go all in, and I mean really all in. The can always unload money after the season, or even if they don't they can live with it if it meant winning a WS. That could also help Washington get more serious about Braun as well. It is all speculation, but definitely possible.

You guys ever read about the idea of rental type trades? I think it happens in European soccer. So essentially in this situation the Cubs would give us a prospect or two and they get Braun for the rest of the year and then he comes back to MKE. I suppose you could negotiate anything though, so he could go there for two years, just go somewhere else and they pay salary, negotiate on who pays salary, etc. How crazy would that make things?

First thought...nice solid misleading title there by the writer.

Second thought...never going to happen. There are way to many reasons why this would never happen. I don't even think we could get past his no-trade clause to even start the list of reasons it won't happen. Did I mention it won't happen?

Why never? You don't think the Cubs are willing to spend whatever it takes to win a WS? I wouldn't even be surprised if they wanted to do the Braun trade, PLUS deal for a pitcher later in the year. And if the Brewers could get Schwarber back as the cornerstone of the deal, wouldn't you take that?

Right, my take on trading Braun has been to get the true elite level prospect, if not just keep. Schwarber fits that other than having the injury, but throw in some others and you have a workable trade.

Why never? You don't think the Cubs are willing to spend whatever it takes to win a WS? I wouldn't even be surprised if they wanted to do the Braun trade, PLUS deal for a pitcher later in the year. And if the Brewers could get Schwarber back as the cornerstone of the deal, wouldn't you take that?

1. Braun waiving his no trade clause under any circumstances to go to the Cubs would be unlikely in my opinion. Cubs fans absolutely hate him with a passion. It would likely be a pretty uncomfortable place to play baseball for him. I think he could go just about anywhere and be welcomed fairly well, but not to the Cubs.

2. The Brewers sending the face of their franchise to their arch rival would be received very negatively. It would not be a pretty site and casual fans would be pretty upset.

3. Cubs sending major prospects the Brewers way, that kind of thing rarely happens. You don't want to help out other teams in your division. Sometime it can work with minor prospects, but when you start talking players with All Star potential good luck.

4. Cub's fans hate him a lot. Bringing him in to anger your fans just doesn't seem like a good idea. I get it if he hits well they may forget for the most part, but right of the bat you are going to get a ton of negativity around your club. His debut would be boos and not so nice signs.

5. Cubs are already the best team in baseball by a wide margin. This move would bring a lot of unwanted media attention and would be a distraction. I don't think they would really want that.

6. Cubs don't necessarily need a long term OF bat. Not sure it would make a ton of sense.

7. Lastly you have all the other issues with Braun that makes a trade harder for any team. Injuries, age, contract etc.

Some of these are major obstacles and some more minor, but add them all up and what are the chances such a deal happens? Even 1%? I could not care less where Ryan Braun goes for the record. I am just being realistic on this long shot speculation.

All valid points. But fans are fans. Cubs fans would embrace him after his 1st HR, guaranteed. And Braun isn't exactly loved by most Brewer fans ever since the whole ped thing.

Same division thing is a hurdle, but the two teams are in different worlds in terms of where they are.

Most trades aren't likely to begin with, and this one has some extra issues, no doubt. But it still makes sense for both sides. Chance of happening? Put me down for 3%.

With the news below, does this make it more likely the Nats would deal Giolito, or less likely?

Stephen Strasburg - S - Nationals

According to Chelsea Janes of the Washington Post, the Nationals and right-hander Stephen Strasburg have agreed to a "significant long-term extension."

MLB Network's Jon Heyman reports that a seven-year deal worth $175 million. The deal also includes opt-outs. It's pretty shocking news, as Strasburg is represented by Scott Boras and was set to be the biggest name in a very weak class for free agent starting pitchers this winter. He likely could have fetched a bigger deal with a strong walk year, but the Nationals apparently did enough to keep him off the market. An official announcement is expected Tuesday.

Source: Chelsea Janes on TwitterMay 9 - 8:09 PM

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

On Sunday, the Cubs walked Bryce Harper 6 times, plus hit him with a pitch. Harper's comment after the game was, "They had a plan, and unfortunately, it worked."

This is the kind of thing that could spur the Nats to eventually make a move for a guy like Braun. They are a good team (rotation is looking great), but their hitting is really suspect. Their OPS sits at 10th of 15 teams in the NL, and outside of Harper, Daniel Murphy and Wilson Ramos, they have struggled badly. A big right-handed bat (or two) would really improve things for them.

We've linked the Nats primarily to Lucroy, but as noted, Ramos is hitting well thus far, so maybe they wouldn't be as interested in Luc as a power bat.

Chris Carter would help them as well, but that would send Ryan Zimmerman to the bench. Zimmerman makes a lot of money, so they might want to see if he can rebound before giving up on him.

If Braun keeps hitting, it only takes one team to pony up something big for him - assuming the team is willing to trade Ryan. The Nats are very unlikely to give up Giolito, so there isn't a top notch pitching arm available in their system. Something build around Trea Turner or Victor Robles would have to be your starting point on a deal.

Plus I'm pretty sure Braun's no-trade clause doesn't include Washington, one less obstacle to get around.

With the news below, does this make it more likely the Nats would deal Giolito, or less likely?

Stephen Strasburg - S - Nationals

According to Chelsea Janes of the Washington Post, the Nationals and right-hander Stephen Strasburg have agreed to a "significant long-term extension."

MLB Network's Jon Heyman reports that a seven-year deal worth $175 million. The deal also includes opt-outs. It's pretty shocking news, as Strasburg is represented by Scott Boras and was set to be the biggest name in a very weak class for free agent starting pitchers this winter. He likely could have fetched a bigger deal with a strong walk year, but the Nationals apparently did enough to keep him off the market. An official announcement is expected Tuesday.

Source: Chelsea Janes on TwitterMay 9 - 8:09 PM

I would think more, but still certainly unlikely.

Still, Braun and Lucroy would be huge additions to their lineup.

Plus I'm pretty sure Braun's no-trade clause doesn't include Washington, one less obstacle to get around.

It does this year, but it didn't last year. As mentioned in post 146, the teams that Ryan can't block a trade to this year are the Diamondbacks, Angels, Dodgers, Marlins, Padres and Giants.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

in a heartbeat, yes. Schwarber + for Braun? Absolutlely. Would be shocked to see that happen. Can you even deal players on the DL?

The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

It does this year, but it didn't last year. As mentioned in post 146, the teams that Ryan can't block a trade to this year are the Diamondbacks, Angels, Dodgers, Marlins, Padres and Giants.

Interesting, how does that work? Does Braun have complete control over the 6 teams or does the team have any say? Seems like it would be pretty easy to manipulate that list from year to year to only include teams that you know aren't going to be trading for you.

in a heartbeat, yes. Schwarber + for Braun? Absolutlely. Would be shocked to see that happen. Can you even deal players on the DL?

I would not want ACL torn Schwarber in a deal. He was being moved off of Catcher to LF due to his receiving. He's LF due to already a lack of range. Just thinking he's going to quickly become a DH only option. =162 Pinch hit PAs as a Brewer since there's no DH in the NL. Again like the Lucroy trade the need is TOR. Cubs don't possess that. Whichever trade that happens first, had better come with the TOR. Because then your options change. But if you trade either first and don't get that TOR, you must get one in the other trade... And then your left with last ditch chance to get.

I think it's pretty routine for players to annually name the teams that they can be traded to. In Ryan's case, it's pretty apparent that he prefers teams that are close to home.

What was the deal with K-Rod? There was an oddity about his approved teams when he was traded to Milwaukee. Did he forget to submit his annual list or something? The only thing I recall was that the Brewers were on his no trade list at one point because they had Trevor Hoffman.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

Schwarber should be a 1B. Rizzo is the only reason he wasn't playing 1B for the Cubs. Schwarber would hit 40+ bombs a year playing half his games in Miller Park. Again I don't see that trade happening
The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

I would not want ACL torn Schwarber in a deal. He was being moved off of Catcher to LF due to his receiving. He's LF due to already a lack of range. Just thinking he's going to quickly become a DH only option. =162 Pinch hit PAs as a Brewer since there's no DH in the NL. Again like the Lucroy trade the need is TOR. Cubs don't possess that. Whichever trade that happens first, had better come with the TOR. Because then your options change. But if you trade either first and don't get that TOR, you must get one in the other trade... And then your left with last ditch chance to get.

No, you get the best value you can. Limiting a trade for a tor starter really limits your options. There's 3 or 4 years to find starting pitchers. As for schwarber, he could play 1b if necessary. Hes very young, acl Inst a huge deal to me.

Archived