Brewer Fanatic

Braun trade value now

I'm still very optimistic about Nottingham, but it's way too early to say they are covered there. Even if he was putting up huge numbers so far in AA. Lots of things can go wrong, and he is not a finished product.

Same is true for the rotation. No guarantee they get a TOR starter for Lucroy. Even if they make a trade like that, whoever they acquire would still need to pitch to expectations of the top prospect status. Some guys do, lots of guys don't.

Point being, it's just too early to say they'll be competitive in 2017 or 2018. There are still too many things that all have to go right, and that rarely happens. If this was the optimism thread, sure. Honestly, I just don't want us to get too far ahead of ourselves and be disappointed. Cautious optimism.

• Replies 732
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Really not a fan of that trade with Boston. I'm thinking something more along the lines of Espinosa, Swihart + a couple of A ball/Rookie league lottery ticket pitchers.
@BrewCrewCritic on Twitter "Racing Sausages" - "Huh?"

Eduardo Rodriguez / Castillo / Swihart for Braun / Peralta

I don't see the point in trading Peralta unless there is a team that basically admits as much that they see potential in him and are willing to give up another "damaged goods" or reasonable prospect for him.

Peralta's value is at an all-time low right now so why does he even need to be a throw-in? He's not making any sort of salary that the Brewers cannot handle. Keep letting him stink it up and try to find the changeup or whatever pitch is necessary to get lefties (or anyone) out. If his salary or roster spot is still a nuisance going into next year and you feel like there is no chance to make him into a productive player, just DFA/non-tender him.

You want to take on Castillo so we have $10mil a year in dead money? We have no where to put him.

Salary Filler - Plus with Braun leaving, we have room for him to play in LF

Hopefully he gets his value up and trade him next season

I don't see the point in trading Peralta unless there is a team that basically admits as much that they see potential in him and are willing to give up another "damaged goods" or reasonable prospect for him.

Peralta's value is at an all-time low right now so why does he even need to be a throw-in? He's not making any sort of salary that the Brewers cannot handle. Keep letting him stink it up and try to find the changeup or whatever pitch is necessary to get lefties (or anyone) out. If his salary or roster spot is still a nuisance going into next year and you feel like there is no chance to make him into a productive player, just DFA/non-tender him.

Agreed. There is no point in trading Peralta right now. Trading at a young players low point is really bad business.

I still think Washington makes a ton of sense. Send Braun and take back Werth's bad contract (it only runs through '17). That should really be worth a good haul back from the Nationals. Say V. Robles, E. Fedde & either Pedro Severino or Koda Glover.

Big upgrade for Nationals without costing either of their top two prospects. Also ensures they have a middle of the order bat if/when Harper leaves via free agency.

For the Brewers that would be 2 top 100 prospects (Robles looks like he will be top 25 by the end of the year) and a catcher with superior defensive abilities (Severino) or a very hard throwing bullpen prospect (Glover) who looks like 8th inning set up man is his floor, dominant closer obviously being his ceiling.

Enough of a return? Too much?

Would only get one SP back in that deal (and one that is struggling so far) but hopefully a Lucroy trade would also net at least one significant SP prospect along with a couple lottery ticket P prospects.

Problem is the Nationals know what they have in Robles and he would be an overpay. Just too good of a prospect to give up in my opinion. Not convinced Braun's value is Top 30 prospect worthy.

If they trade Braun away and receive little to nothing in return, my days as a Brewers fan will be numbered. He's a once in a generation type hitter. If they mess that up, screw em, I'm out. (not that they care.)
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Taking Werth back means Washington is getting him for free for 1.5 yrs. and then either 3 more years at $57 or 4 yrs at $68

Another way to look at it is by taking Werth back the Nationals are getting Braun for '17-'20 (assume $4 buyout for '21) at $55 or $13.75/yr. ($76 million owed Braun minus $21 owed Werth).

Teams would be falling all over themselves if they could sign Ryan Braun after this year to a 4 year $55 contract with the option of it being a 5 yr $66 contract.

If that is still not enough to get a V.Robles plus other good pieces then the Brewers should pick up a little more of the contract themselves. A trade involving Braun has to bring back a true potential star or it is not worth doing.

Oh right I forgot you were taking on Werth. Problem is he has a no trade clause he almost surely would not waive to come to this dumpster fire(record wise). The Brewers also aren't doutbful to take on that much money, but that is unknown.

MrTPlush, I've seen multiple articles this week mentioning trade candidates. All experts seem to assume that the Brewers are desperately trying to move Braun for prospects, and to do so we'll have to include a large sum of money. I'm not in favor of paying a potential MVP to play elsewhere. Teams need to overwhelm us. If we don't get a Gomez-like package, I don't consider moving Braun. We're in a position salary-wise where we don't need to move him at all. The team is going to make lots of profit this year even with Braun's salary.

MrTPlush, I've seen multiple articles this week mentioning trade candidates. All experts seem to assume that the Brewers are desperately trying to move Braun for prospects, and to do so we'll have to include a large sum of money. I'm not in favor of paying a potential MVP to play elsewhere. Teams need to overwhelm us. If we don't get a Gomez-like package, I don't consider moving Braun. We're in a position salary-wise where we don't need to move him at all. The team is going to make lots of profit this year even with Braun's salary.

I feel like I asked this somewhere before and I never got a reply, but where are these articles saying they will toss in a lot of money? Just curious to read them.

I feel like I asked this somewhere before and I never got a reply, but where are these articles saying they will toss in a lot of money? Just curious to read them.

I can't necessarily find the articles I found this week on daily web browsing, but here's a quick search (it includes several references to the same conjecture). I think one of the ones I originally found was nbc sports, and can't remember the others. Oh well, here are some links from the last week:

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/finding-a-trade-partner-for-ryan-braun/

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2016/04/rosenthals-latest-braun-angels-yanks-jays.html

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2016/05/cafardos-latest-hanley-kemp-braun-hill-panda.html

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/mlb-big-league-stew/ryan-braun-s-hot-start-makes-his-future-in-milwaukee-uncertain-141612589.html

https://fan-interference.com/2016/05/01/lets-talk-trades-already/

http://inningseaters.sportsblog.com/posts/17026448/ryan-braun-trade-rumors--la-dodgers--sf-giants.html

I can't necessarily find the articles I found this week on daily web browsing, but here's a quick search (it includes several references to the same conjecture). I think one of the ones I originally found was nbc sports, and can't remember the others.

It sounds more like speculation and assumption that they would take money. Not necessarily is this some type of rumor from within the Brewers. I am sure the Brewers would pay some money to increase the return, but unless that is something sizable($15mil+) it won't make a huge difference in the return. That isn't chump change.

Personally I don't care how much money they end up paying because lets be honest it isn't my money. However from the Brewers perspective trading an MVP caliber player and having to throw in large sums of money just to get a "good" return seems like we are the ones getting screwed. That is just the in depth baseball side of me...as a fan I don't really care how much they are paying unless is starts getting up to more than 25% of the contract.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

On Sunday, the Cubs walked Bryce Harper 6 times, plus hit him with a pitch. Harper's comment after the game was, "They had a plan, and unfortunately, it worked."

This is the kind of thing that could spur the Nats to eventually make a move for a guy like Braun. They are a good team (rotation is looking great), but their hitting is really suspect. Their OPS sits at 10th of 15 teams in the NL, and outside of Harper, Daniel Murphy and Wilson Ramos, they have struggled badly. A big right-handed bat (or two) would really improve things for them.

We've linked the Nats primarily to Lucroy, but as noted, Ramos is hitting well thus far, so maybe they wouldn't be as interested in Luc as a power bat.

Chris Carter would help them as well, but that would send Ryan Zimmerman to the bench. Zimmerman makes a lot of money, so they might want to see if he can rebound before giving up on him.

If Braun keeps hitting, it only takes one team to pony up something big for him - assuming the team is willing to trade Ryan. The Nats are very unlikely to give up Giolito, so there isn't a top notch pitching arm available in their system. Something build around Trea Turner or Victor Robles would have to be your starting point on a deal.

On Sunday, the Cubs walked Bryce Harper 6 times, plus hit him with a pitch. Harper's comment after the game was, "They had a plan, and unfortunately, it worked."

This is the kind of thing that could spur the Nats to eventually make a move for a guy like Braun. They are a good team (rotation is looking great), but their hitting is really suspect. Their OPS sits at 10th of 15 teams in the NL, and outside of Harper, Daniel Murphy and Wilson Ramos, they have struggled badly. A big right-handed bat (or two) would really improve things for them.

We've linked the Nats primarily to Lucroy, but as noted, Ramos is hitting well thus far, so maybe they wouldn't be as interested in Luc as a power bat.

Chris Carter would help them as well, but that would send Ryan Zimmerman to the bench. Zimmerman makes a lot of money, so they might want to see if he can rebound before giving up on him.

If Braun keeps hitting, it only takes one team to pony up something big for him - assuming the team is willing to trade Ryan. The Nats are very unlikely to give up Giolito, so there isn't a top notch pitching arm available in their system. Something build around Trea Turner or Victor Robles would have to be your starting point on a deal.

I saw that game and I had the exact same thought. Of course had Dusty Baker switched Murphy and Zimmerman it might have been a different story. Zimmerman set a major league record by stranding 14 runners. Murphy is hitting like 400. But thats Dusty Baker for you.

The window for the Nats is closing so a Braun trade makes a ton of sense for them. I dont think Werth would waive his no trade clause but Im sure they have another bad contract to include to make sure the Brewers get an excellent package thought I doubt Giolito will every be traded.

The tricky part is that Ryan can now block a trade to the Nats. The teams he can't block this year are the Diamondbacks, Angels, Dodgers, Marlins, Padres and Giants.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

You would think he would welcome a chance at a ring with the Nats and the Nats make a lot of sense for a trade. What a huge boost he could be for them. Toss in a reliever and make the deal even better.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Should be interesting how Braun goes about his no trade clause. Part of me wants to believe he would just accept a trade to a contender and let both sides go nicely on their way, but I could see him screwing us over and having big demands(picking up option year).

Community Moderator
The 2021 option is only for 15 million dollars, if a team wants Braun badly enough I don't see guaranteeing that standing in the way of a deal. I'd offer to pay the rest of his salary this year for any acquiring team & if they want more of a financial kicker (& are prepared to give up more prospect capital in turn of course) I'd offer to cover the deferred payments, which is another 18 million. That would leave the total remaining after this season for any acquiring team at 4/58 or 5/73 with the option, which is in the range of money that Zobrist & Gordon got this last offseason.

Community Moderator
My first thought on a Braun-to-Washington deal was to offer to take Jayson Werth, and the 21 million he is owed next season, as the way to kick in some money without, "kicking in some money", but Werth has a full no-trade clause.

Archived