Brewer Fanatic

Braun trade value now

• Replies 732
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Honestly Braun in the OF isn't a problem until Clark or Ray is knocking on the door. Santana can always moves to 1B for Phillips if he ever makes it(Brinson will and will play center). I guess they could move Braun back to RF for Clark/Ray, but wow is Braun way worse in RF.

My biggest worry is the last two years of that contract. If we have to move Braun back to RF or put him at 1B his defense will likely kill any offensive value he provides.

If the Brewers want to move on from Carter, that's easy .... just let him walk after the season, the way Houston did.

As for Braun - if he has a productive end to the season, and avoids the DL, the time to trade him is this next winter.

He's still very good, his contract is now down to a point where it's not a crazy thing to take on, and that's when payroll space, and lineup space is open for more teams.

If Braun looks good the rest of the way, despite some aches and pains, I think he'll go before next season.

If the Brewers want to move on from Carter, that's easy .... just let him walk after the season, the way Houston did.

As for Braun - if he has a productive end to the season, and avoids the DL, the time to trade him is this next winter.

He's still very good, his contract is now down to a point where it's not a crazy thing to take on, and that's when payroll space, and lineup space is open for more teams.

If Braun looks good the rest of the way, despite some aches and pains, I think he'll go before next season.

Have you heard anything about the Brewers paying part of the contract to better the return? I also heard Buster Olney say today that Braun might not be traded because of his personal relationship with Attanasio. I hope that's not true but wouldn't be surprised if it was.

Have you heard anything about the Brewers paying part of the contract to better the return? I also heard Buster Olney say today that Braun might not be traded because of his personal relationship with Attanasio. I hope that's not true but wouldn't be surprised if it was.

Are they actually that close? I mean Attanasio got absolutely screwed by Braun right after he handed him a $100mil contract. A big reason for that investment was for the off the field perks/money generated. Braun pretty much torched all that stuff and costed Attanasio a ton of money.

I am not saying Attanasio hates him, but more I question such a love that he would refuse to trade him.

Are they actually that close? I mean Attanasio got absolutely screwed by Braun right after he handed him a $100mil contract. A big reason for that investment was for the off the field perks/money generated. Braun pretty much torched all that stuff and costed Attanasio a ton of money.

I am not saying Attanasio hates him, but more I question such a love that he would refuse to trade him.

I don't know. I'm just going by what Olney said on the radio today. I do think Attanasio probably really likes him. He was the first draft pick of the team with Attanasio as the owner. He has been a star player since his debut, which will be a decade after this season. Yeah, there's the PED thing but I also think Attanasio will want players for the casual fan as well, so Braun has that going for him as well.

I'd like to see Braun traded as I don't really have any interest in paying Braun $80 million through the 2021 season while we're going to be rebuilding for at least a couple of those seasons. Add that to him having a relatively injury free year and great offensive season and this being a really weak free agent market and I think this winter is the right time to trade him. Especially with his 10/5 rights kicking in soon.

I haven't been following too terribly close to it, but isn't the MLB entertaining the idea of bringing the DH to the NL also? If that happens in the next few years, Braun would be a prime candidate to put there.

Food for thought

I haven't been following too terribly close to it, but isn't the MLB entertaining the idea of bringing the DH to the NL also? If that happens in the next few years, Braun would be a prime candidate to put there.

Food for thought

That was overblown. Unlikely to happen soon.

Awhile back this spring we had a straight up Braun for Bundy thread. Imagine that now......

Would've been the prequel to "Lucroy to the Indians" movie - highly likely Braun would have exercised his no trade clause and refused.

Teixeira is supposedly going to retire (FA anyway) after the season, and there is talk of the Yankees releasing A-Rod and Beltan is gone as well. It's not like the Yankees to tank for a few years and rebuild. Ortiz is going to retire as well. I know that Boston and NYY are on Braun's no-trade list, but they put a lot of resources behind pursuing championships and NYY has a bunch of prospects to trade now. I could easily see Boston and NYY trying to talk Braun into waiving his no-trade clause.

Boston would be more appealing, but the Yankees are a bit of a mess. They have lots of older players who need to be cleared, but Braun could easily slide in as DH for the Yankees with the occasional game in LF. DH for Boston would be a better fit, and I don't think they are going to let Sandoval get in the way.

One would think the Yanks have finally learned their lesson and will value their prospects instead of adding another expensive aging player. I agree they would probably take him, but my guess is they'd lowball and only do it if we were looking to give him away and they can keep all their newly acquired youthful pieces.

As many have said that's why I'd just assume keep him. No one is going to give us what we perceive as even close to fair value. We have no need to dump money so might as well just keep him.

Awhile back this spring we had a straight up Braun for Bundy thread. Imagine that now......

Would've been the prequel to "Lucroy to the Indians" movie - highly likely Braun would have exercised his no trade clause and refused.

Good point.

One would think the Yanks have finally learned their lesson and will value their prospects instead of adding another expensive aging player. I agree they would probably take him, but my guess is they'd lowball and only do it if we were looking to give him away and they can keep all their newly acquired youthful pieces.

As many have said that's why I'd just assume keep him. No one is going to give us what we perceive as even close to fair value. We have no need to dump money so might as well just keep him.

Maybe they have, but they cannot go the Milwaukee route and rebuild. They make more money than any other team and they have to spend it. This off-season is a weak free agent class, so I doubt anyone will be big players in the market, but teams like NY are trying to clear space and ready themselves for the 2018 free agent bonanza.

That is also when a team like Milwaukee can strike a nice bargain in the market if things break their way. The class is deep and there will likely be good players who wait things out and don't have a lot of options after all the big names get signed.

Boston would be more appealing, but the Yankees are a bit of a mess. They have lots of older players who need to be cleared, but Braun could easily slide in as DH for the Yankees with the occasional game in LF. DH for Boston would be a better fit, and I don't think they are going to let Sandoval get in the way.

Jose Bautista or Edwin Encarnacion is Boston's DH next year. That's all but guaranteed.

When you see how hot Braun is right now, you have to wonder if the Dodgers will show interest, and I can't imagine Braun won't clear waivers.

I'm not expecting a Braun deal this month, but the Dodgers are the one place on his no-trade who have the combination of good prospects and chance to win the Brewers will need to get a deal done.

Last month, LA really didn't show interest in Braun, I can't help but wonder if that might change.

When you see how hot Braun is right now, you have to wonder if the Dodgers will show interest, and I can't imagine Braun won't clear waivers.

I'm not expecting a Braun deal this month, but the Dodgers are the one place on his no-trade who have the combination of good prospects and chance to win the Brewers will need to get a deal done.

Last month, LA really didn't show interest in Braun, I can't help but wonder if that might change.

Good points. I'd also add that the ownership in LA is not afraid to spend, making Braun's deal less of a deterrent than it would be elsewhere. I'm fine with kicking in a small amount, maybe 5M a year on the remainder of his deal, but the return needs to be substantial enough to make it worthwhile.

In the end I don't expect Braun to go anywhere, at least not yet, but given that I don't think he'll have any trouble clearing waivers either, it's just as likely to happen in August as it was in July.

I would expect Braun to accept a move to just about anywhere to get out of Milwaukee. With the Brewers figuring to be no better than average the next couple of years plus the PED episode it's reasonable to think he'd like the opportunity to play elsewhere.

But like Lucroy, Braun and his agent probably wouldn't waive the no-trade clause for nothing. If Braun would be traded to a team on the no-trade list (or is traded after he gains 10/5 rights), it's pretty likely he'd demand that 2021 year on his contract would become a player option. That way he would be guaranteed 15 million for that season instead of 4 million. And if he would still be playing at a high level, he could just walk away from that contract and get a better deal on the free agent market. Would that extra 11 million of guaranteed money be a deal-breaker for the team he was traded to...possibly...also possible that the Brewers would have to kick even more money to the trade partner to get them to agree to guarantee that final year of the deal.

Heyman mentioned how Braun's wife is pregnant making it very unlikely he would approve a trade to anyone on his no trade list. This limiting his market to just the 6 teams. See there is/may be a good relationship between Braun and the Brewers they probably weren't eager to make him move his pregnant wife either.

The unfortunate thing is that I'm guessing most teams will see small market + salary + PEDs and only offer up a salary dump option. I'm on the record as kind of wanting him to stick around, but if we can get some legit prospects back for him this winter, it might be time.
"I wish him the best. I hope he finds peace and happiness in his life and is able to enjoy his life. I wish him the best." - Ryan Braun on Kirk Gibson 6/17/14

I REALLY hope Braun doesn't go anywhere and is a lifer with the Brewers. I dont care about the potential return, it would just be great to finally have a player that stays with the franchise through thick and thin.

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

After tonight Braun is now 7th in the majors in OPS. Only one OF in baseball has a higher OPS - Mike Trout (and he's .011 higher).

That ain't no salary dump.

I don't think it makes any sense to trade him. His salary easily fits into the payroll and he's still a premier player in the game and hasn't shown any signs (other than needing days off here and there) that he's slowing down. While the main focus on the longer term future (4-5) years, that doesn't meant there isn't an opportunity to be very competitive as soon as 2018. The fact is that they have significant controllable talent currently on the roster all in their mid 20's (Villar, Gennett, Perez, Davies, Knebel,a maybe even Broxton and/or Santana) and they've already brought up Arcia and the addition of close to major league talents like Brinson all point to this team rising sooner rather than later. Braun still figures to be a potent offensive player for the next 2-3 seasons at least.

I think the thing would be if we think our young outfielders are going to be ready sooner than later, then it might be time to capitalize on Braun's stellar season and move him (if the return is there). Better to deal a player a year too early than a year too late.
"I wish him the best. I hope he finds peace and happiness in his life and is able to enjoy his life. I wish him the best." - Ryan Braun on Kirk Gibson 6/17/14

Archived