Brewer Fanatic

Braun trade value now

• Replies 732
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Heyman said this today:

There continues to be not much trade buzz about Ryan Braun despite a .906 OPS. Part of the issue are his nagging injuries. A bigger part of the issue is the $90 million to go on his contract

Not much buzz is not the same as no interest.

Pretty darn close to it

Maybe, maybe not. Can break it down even farther:

"Not much" does not equal "no";

"Buzz" does not equal "interest."

Yeah, I think the Braun market is a little opposite of what normally happens. He's probably the best outfielder available, however, because of his contract, no-trade clause, etc., teams are probably targeting less complicated/expensive outfielders first. We may start hearing more on him being connected with teams that lost out on Bruce once he's traded.

If the Dodgers are ready to deal Puig, do you think this would be a fair deal for each side?

Dodgers get:

OF-Ryan Braun

8 million dollars

Brewers get:

OF-Yasiel Puig

RHP-Grant Holmes

OF-Starling Heredia

RHP-Imani Abdullah

Thought process is the basic deal is Braun for Puig and Holmes, but Puig's money for 2017 and 2018 is 4 million less than Braun's defered money so the Brewers throw in 4 million immediately to balance that out. Then they basically purchase Heredia and Abdullah for 4 million to get the deal to go through.

This proposal rides the fine line between wishful thinking and delusional. Braun has far less trade value than Puig alone. Why would the Dodgers also give us Grant Holmes?

The Dodgers can keep Puig and we'll keep Braun. Puig sucks. And he's an immature guy. People like that aren't needed in rebuilding stage.

Braun owes Milwaukee by standing by him. Whether that is hitting .300 or better for the next 4-5 years as we stink up the joint or being a piece to our next contender. Either way, Milwaukee is where he should be stuck. He shouldn't get a get out of jail free card and get to be a Dodger as they contend for titles year in year out

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

This proposal rides the fine line between wishful thinking and delusional. Braun has far less trade value than Puig alone. Why would the Dodgers also give us Grant Holmes?

Pretty strong disagree here. Braun has a 2.2 WAR this year. Puig has a 0.3. Sure contract comes into play, but not enough to make teams want a bad player over a good one.

Pretty strong disagree here. Braun has a 2.2 WAR this year. Puig has a 0.3. Sure contract comes into play, but not enough to make teams want a bad player over a good one.

Puig's first two years were pretty good but he's been hurt and very average since. Frankly I think all the attitude and what not has been way overblown. Put him in the middle of nowhere where the Packer's backup long snapper having a hangnail is bigger news than anything the Brewers do and these "problems" disappear. Maybe playing out of the spotlight gives him a kick in the pants to play better so he can go somewhere where he will be in the spotlight.

The Dodgers have traditionally had a weak bullpen. Give them Braun, a reliever (Thornburg, Smith, or Jeffress) and some cash and see if you can get Puig and a prospect back. I'd take a chance that he comes close to returning to the guy who OPS'd almost .900 and put up almost 10 WAR for two years.

Yah, Braun is top 25 in all of baseball in OPS. You just don't find those players available. And plenty of teams out there (Red Sox, Yankees, Dodgers, Cubs, Giants, Tigers, Rangers, Nationals, etc.) are willing to throw whatever it takes in terms of salary to get great players. 4 yrs/$80M is not going to get you a top-25 OPS player on the free agent market, even with nagging injuries.

Case in point - a fat, out of shape, nagging injury, defensively questionable Pablo Sandoval got 5/$95M last year and he hasn't put up an OPS like Braun's this year since 2011 and hasn't been healthy and put up an OPS like Braun's since 2009. Don't try to tell me that Sandoval is better than Braun because he isn't.

Thinking the Yankees aren't going to try to reload in the offseason, or that Boston isn't going to try to replace Ortiz with a big bat, or that the Dodgers aren't going to try to upgrade their OF, is closer to wishful thinking.

Jon Heyman ‏@JonHeyman 7m7 minutes ago Manhattan, NY

brewers have received at least one off for ryan braun. found at least that offer terrible for player with 137 ops plus.

I would love to see the offer.

It was probably you pay 50% of the remaining contract and we will give you some B level prospect.

If the Brewers were strapped for cash maybe; but the payroll is going to be crazy low for the next couple of years. Braun's contract really doesn't hinder the Brewers in any way right now.

It was probably you pay 50% of the remaining contract and we will give you some B level prospect.

If the Brewers were strapped for cash maybe; but the payroll is going to be crazy low for the next couple of years. Braun's contract really doesn't hinder the Brewers in any way right now.

This is what some people don't seem to get (mostly casual fans and people who want Braun given to their team for a bag of beans). His contract is no longer a big deal. It isn't hindering the Brewers from doing anything either way.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Anyone hear something on Braun maybe going on the DL? had a buddy from a different town tell me that his team backed away from Braun because he may need a stint on the DL. I think it's bs I can't find anything but day to day. anyone know different?

Well it's fair to say anyone who has missed 4 straight games without being allowed to pinch hit could hit the DL at any point. I mean, they're trotting Wilkerson out there with risp scoring instead, never a good sign. Once or twice it was 2nd and 3rd with 1 out and still didn't use Braun, knowing there's a 50% chance he'd get walked anyway.

Apparently the Braves inquired before acquiring Kemp. Would be interesting to know what those discussions were like.

Sorry, can't link from my Phone, but it's on mlbtr.

Braves didn't want to give up prospects that's why they went Kemp. The Brewers want to eat money and the Braves want to take the entire contract for lesser prospects.

Archived