Brewer Fanatic

Braun trade value now

• Replies 732
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Braun has a market value contract. That's why no team will give us anything via trade for him, because they could simply land a free agent in the off-season without as many warts.

Maybe theoretically, but not practically.

There has to be a player equal to Braun in order for that to happen. If it were that easy, the Brewers have enough money that they should be able to sign four or five guys of Braun's caliber this offseason and be right back in the playoff race in 2017.

This looks to be a pretty weak offseason for FA bats, so any notable players (Bautista and Bruce look to be about it) should get a lot of money. Anyone looking for OF help for a few seasons should look at the FA list, throw it in the trash and make a call to the Brewers.

But, as I said earlier, if the Brewers are going to trade Braun, they will very likely eat a lot of salary in order to get some top prospects back, as it wouldn't make sense for them to trade him if they don't get a lot of prospect talent back. They can just front-load the money they're sending, as their payroll will be miniscule next year, freeing up cash in a couple years when they may want to start extending players and/or adding free agents.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Agree with the idea that the return for Braun will be largely based on how much money the Brewers eat in a deal. If the Brewers don't kick in at least 18 million (all the deferred money), then I don't think the return will be that great. That's just the way the trade game is played these days.

If I was trading for Braun I wouldn't have concerns regarding the PED thing but would have serious concerns over the thumb and back issues. Even if he stays relatively healthy, based on 2014-2016 one would have have to assume that he will likely miss 25+ games per season over the rest of his career.

I'm all for keeping Lucroy, Jeffress and Smith if the value is not there in trade proposals. But Braun is the player I will deal at the earliest opportunity. With the contract, the thumb and back issues, he's way to risky to keep in the midst of a rebuilding project.

Agree with the idea that the return for Braun will be largely based on how much money the Brewers eat in a deal. If the Brewers don't kick in at least 18 million (all the deferred money), then I don't think the return will be that great. That's just the way the trade game is played these days.

If I was trading for Braun I wouldn't have concerns regarding the PED thing but would have serious concerns over the thumb and back issues. Even if he stays relatively healthy, based on 2014-2016 one would have have to assume that he will likely miss 25+ games per season over the rest of his career.

I'm all for keeping Lucroy, Jeffress and Smith if the value is not there in trade proposals. But Braun is the player I will deal at the earliest opportunity. With the contract, the thumb and back issues, he's way to risky to keep in the midst of a rebuilding project.

With all those items Braun is the toughest to deal away from that group, not from Brewers not wanting to deal him, but getting a return (any return). It would not surprise me if Braun is the last/ only remaining holdover on the MLB roster from the pre-Stearns era in 4 years...

Saw a rumor about the Brewers trying to package a reliever with other pieces. Interestingly the report mentioned Braun so maybe Braun trade talks are still alive. The same report, however, said the Giant have no interest in Braun.

The best time to trade Braun would be this (or future) offseasons, when all MLB teams looking to build their rosters for the next year that could afford at least a good chunk of his remaining salary would be potential suitors. Particularly for teams looking for dramatic upgrades in the OF or DH via veteran free agency - if they lose out on whomever the marquee OF free agents are, trading a few key prospects at other positions who may be blocked or still years away starts making a lot of sense to bring in a hitter the caliber of Braun. Getting all those moving parts to come to terms by an in-season trade deadline would require desperation or a plain crazy owner/GM combo for the team trading for Braun.

Braun is just raking. Teams looking to make a WS push can't ignore his numbers. And this is coming from an anemic offense. I can't believe the Giants or Dodgers are pushing more for his services. As opposing pitching gets tougher in the playoffs and WS, this is the type of guy that can make that big difference. Matter of fact, it's the Jay Bruce type that will sport the .085 line in the playoffs but that's all you hear when it comes to available OF's. You will get what you pay for.

Even as Braun ages he is not the protypical guy to slow down. He reminds me of an Edgar Martinez type. Just a pure hitter who knows how to hit.

If I'm a GM, I would really push for Braun. The guy is no doubt a difference maker.

Definitely agree that I'd rather have Braun in the playoffs and get your point since Bruce is a streaky hitter, but he's been no slouch there either with a career post-season OPS of .877. He's also having a great season (.889 OPS with 23 HRs), is owed about $74m less than Braun, has been healthier than Braun, is 3 years younger than Braun, doesn't have the PED issue attached to him, and will cost less in prospects than Braun. Between his lower risk and fewer complications in obtaining him, it's not surprising there has been more speculation around his trade possibilities.

Braun is just raking. Teams looking to make a WS push can't ignore his numbers. And this is coming from an anemic offense. I can't believe the Giants or Dodgers are pushing more for his services.

A poster in another thread said the Brewers have shifted their West coast scouts to the Dodgers organization. The Dodgers OF has been terrible and injured; Thompson is on the DL, Puig may be headed there, and neither is having a great season. Howie Kendrick has been playing LF for them.

Ethier is due back in early August; he can take over RF. Add Braun in LF and you have a major offensive upgrade. While Braun is expensive, he isn't a rental. Even if Kershaw isn't back this season, all of the Dodgers core players will be back next season.

There are salary balancing options with the Dodgers (Brett Anderson, Puig, Ellis, Kendrick; maybe Ethier). An Anderson + Puig or Ethier + Ellis package would more than balance salaries this season to negate any luxury tax hit on the Dodgers.

The Dodgers first priority though is to figure out what is going on with Kershaw, and if they need/want to make a move for Archer/Moore or Sale. If Urias is on the table for Sale, then the Dodgers may have the prospects to pull off trades for both Sale and Braun.

Holmes was specifically mentioned by the poster as someone the Brewers were scouting. Holmes, Brock Stewart, and taking a flyer on the rehabbing Walker Buehler would lessen the need to get pitching back for Lucroy, and leave plenty of prospects to send to the Sox/Rays for Sale/Archer.

Dodgers could send Urias, Bellinger, Verdugo, and Cotton to the Sox for Sale, and then Holmes/Stewart/Buehler to MIL for Braun, and still keep De Leon, Montas, and Calhoun. If MIL gets Puig back in the deal, they can flip him in the offseason for a couple of prospects, bringing back five prospects for Braun.

There were some reports maybe 6 weeks ago that the Dodgers were unsure of Puig's future and might be interested in moving him. His OPS has dropped every year and his 2016 slash is .255/.316/.376/.693. Not very good for a left fielder. As of this morning Dodger left fielders are 22th in MLB in OPS and their right fielders are 26th in OPS. Trayce Thompson had actually given them a pretty good boost but really went south when he started to have back problems. If the Dodgers have decided to move on from Puig, someone like Braun makes a lot of sense for them. And if Braun had his pick of any MLB team to play for, the Dodgers very likely would sit at #1 on his list (along with the Angels where he could occasionally DH which would be an obvious benefit considering where he is in his career).

Any team that would deal for Braun will demand that the Brewers pick up some of his salary. I'd guess even the big money teams would demand the Brewers pick up the 18 million that has been deferred. I'm not a big fan of adding players with as much MLB experience as Puig in these rebuilding years but he is still owed 14 million (6.5 M in 2017 and 7.5 M in 2018) and I'd definitely prefer to get him and assume that 14 million rather than just eat money. The Brewers would probably have to kick in a bit more cash to essentially buy prospects from the Dodgers as part of the deal but it wouldn't be ridiculous sums. Puig could be a attractive bounce-back prospect if he's put in Miller Park.

I'm not saying Puig is an essential piece in a deal for either the Brewers or the Dodgers, just wanted to say that it could make sense for both sides if he's included in a deal.

I'm in the camp that would like to see Braun moved as quickly as possible because his thumb/back worry me and he just doesn't fit here anymore considering the rebuild. I'm all for holding Lucroy and the relievers if the value in a deal isn't there. Braun would be dealt at the first somewhat reasonable opportunity. It would just be best for the franchise and for him.

I agree with many of the folks above, RHP-Grant Holmes appears to be the most logical piece going to the Brewers. He's an excellent prospect with great upside, but his fringy control might limit him to the bullpen. He's a guy that the Brewer might love because he has talent and upside, but the Dodgers might see him as an unessential piece because there's a pretty good chance he'd be nothing more than a reliever. No matter what kind of deal gets done between the two teams, I'd guess Holmes would end up with Milwaukee.

Just to be clear, the debate about Braun's playing time. In 98 Brewer Games to 100 Cincy games. Bruce has 37 more ABs than Braun. Take it to PAs its 389 to 355. 34 on this season. So 1/3 a Single PA per game difference. Now, if you take WAR in to account BRef has Bruce at .9 total on the season, Braun at 3.5WAR. 55game rental for .3WAR? or 4years 55games for 1.1WAR this season and I'll crap the estimate to 10WAR total the following 4years. Which still averages out to higher per year than Bruce is about to collect. Btw, one player is having his best season in his career. The other is having just another productive season. Who's more likely to regress in the last 55games?

Well, Crap. I see Bruce has a 13million option after this season. I swear I'd only read he was a rental. That does change some of the advantages Braun would present to Bruce. Bruce would come with a QO most likely after next season. Braun, not so much. Wow, I hate when I find something out that ruins any argument I have. Bruce won't cost as much in prospects but offers to return a pick in a year. Braun is getting put on the backburner until Bruce's trade is final

More talk of acquiring Puig to flip later? Who is going to want him? I want no part of that guy in a Brewer's uniform. If we do end up with him, I surely hope everyone is right about being able to flip him because I can't see him being very happy in Milwaukee. Poor attitude, small town club removes the spotlight from him, and I think he likes the spotlight...
"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

More talk of acquiring Puig to flip later? Who is going to want him? I want no part of that guy in a Brewer's uniform. If we do end up with him, I surely hope everyone is right about being able to flip him because I can't see him being very happy in Milwaukee. Poor attitude, small town club removes the spotlight from him, and I think he likes the spotlight...

Puig would only be the balance the money out, so essentially the Brewers throwing in cash. He would be the Aaron Hill of the trade to get back something of use. I can understand how some don't want Puig but if taking Puig brings back a prospect or two I don't see how anyone could be against it.

Atlanta. He'd be a big name for their new park, he's still only 25 (younger than any Braves position player except for Mallex Smith), and he's arguably better than any OF that played for the Braves this year, certainly has a higher upside than any OF who played for the Braves this season. His contract isn't terrible, and if he can rebound to anywhere close to his 2014 he'd be a bargain. He'd be a great buy-low candidate for them.

Might explain why Ted Simmons was at the Brewers game yesterday - a 3-teamer with LA, MIL, and ATL. MIL sends Braun to LA, LA sends Puig to ATL and salary (Anderson? Ellis?) plus prospects to MIL, ATL sends prospects to MIL.

(Of course, that's assuming Simmons was scouting the Brewers and not the D-Backs. Maybe they are trying to take advantage of Dave Stewart again.)

Might explain why Ted Simmons was at the Brewers game yesterday - a 3-teamer with LA, MIL, and ATL. MIL sends Braun to LA, LA sends Puig to ATL and salary (Anderson? Ellis?) plus prospects to MIL, ATL sends prospects to MIL.

It's also possible Simmons was scouting the Brewers because the Braves play them soon.

It's also possible Simmons LIVES IN THE PAST and still daydreams about the 1982 Brewers 34 years later. UGH, GOD! GET OVER IT ALREADY! LET THE CURRENT TEAM HAVE ITS OWN IDENTITY!

Atlanta. He'd be a big name for their new park, he's still only 25 (younger than any Braves position player except for Mallex Smith), and he's arguably better than any OF that played for the Braves this year, certainly has a higher upside than any OF who played for the Braves this season. His contract isn't terrible, and if he can rebound to anywhere close to his 2014 he'd be a bargain. He'd be a great buy-low candidate for them.

(Of course, that's assuming Simmons was scouting the Brewers and not the D-Backs. Maybe they are trying to take advantage of Dave Stewart again.)

Why would Simmons be scouting Milwaukee for a trade that wouldn't send any Brewer players to Atlanta?

Shouldn't he be scouting Puig in this scenario?

If the deal is still being formulated/discussed, ATL has to decide who to offer. They'll need to look at the Brewers current team and try to assess needs and figure out if some of the younger guys are legitimate MLB players or just stopgaps, particularly if the prospects coming back are upper-level. They should - like any good GM - try to see the needs of the other team from that team's perspective to help formulate an offer that gives value to the other team but depletes their own resources as little as possible.

That's the key to negotiations - offering something that is perceived to have a lot of value to the other side but has little cost to you.

I'd actually be a little shocked at this point if Braun isn't traded at the deadline or in the offseason. Barring injury or him blocking a trade. There has to be one team that would want him after we make him a $15mil a year player on a 4 year contract. I understand there is a guy like Bruce, but Braun has put up All Star numbers for a decade. Mind you Braun plays passable defense too.

If I was a team I would love to give up a couple good, but not elite prospects for Braun. I'd take the risk drooling over the difference he can make. I think teams are making a big mistake if they aren't considering Braun to shore up their offense.

If the Dodgers are ready to deal Puig, do you think this would be a fair deal for each side?

Dodgers get:

OF-Ryan Braun

8 million dollars

Brewers get:

OF-Yasiel Puig

RHP-Grant Holmes

OF-Starling Heredia

RHP-Imani Abdullah

Thought process is the basic deal is Braun for Puig and Holmes, but Puig's money for 2017 and 2018 is 4 million less than Braun's defered money so the Brewers throw in 4 million immediately to balance that out. Then they basically purchase Heredia and Abdullah for 4 million to get the deal to go through.

Assuming the Dodgers put no value in Puig...I have heard they do, but who knows if that is true. After that as long as the two lower level prospects mentioned are high ceiling guys Stearns loves then yes I think that deal could work for both sides value wise. Of course do the Dodgers really want Braun that much?

Archived