Brewer Fanatic

Braun trade value now

Wouldn't really interest me. They only work for 7 months then have 5 months completely to themselves and to be with their family. Those 5 months without a job will allow them more time than the joe schmo who works year round and maybe sees their kids for a couple hours each night before bed. Also, you can easily have your family live in the home team city so you're only really gone for a week or so at a time, especially when they're not school age yet. When school age they can be in your home team city for the couple summer months at least. Moreover, you retire when you're 35, free to spend as much time as possible with them. Much more than the normal guy who works his whole life. Sorry, I don't feel bad at all.

Yes, the have financial and work life bonuses that none of us will ever see, but that doesn't make it any easier to live away from your family. I guess it makes it easier to see them some if they have time off during the season, but they still miss a ton of time and can miss a lot of milestones during the time from mid-February to early October. And the time they are off are when their kids are in school, they don't get to take time off during the summer when their kids are off.

Money buys a lot of perks, but it can't buy time.

• Replies 732
  • Created
  • Last Reply
We all have difficulties...but the MLB players have it easy. Really easy.

Well, yes, but...........

.........if you have $5, you have $5 problems, if you have $500,000.....

I'm not saying they don't have it easier than the average joe or joan. But that doesn't mean it's easier to be away from family when they have to be. Maybe I'm overly sensitive to this because I live away from my kids and it sucks.

We all have difficulties...but the MLB players have it easy. Really easy.

I feel like people overestimate how great professional athletes have it, particularly MLB players.

Don't get me wrong, they've got a great gig, make ridiculous amounts of money, and I'd trade in a heartbeat. They've got it really good, I'm not arguing otherwise.

But they show up around 1:00 for an evening game at 6-7:00. They have to (or at least should) keep their bodies in peak physical form including strict diet and intense exercise. By the time the game ends, they give some quotes, shower, they are done with work around 11:00. Home by midnight, be ready at 1:00 tomorrow again. Unless it's a day game, then be here by 8:00. Do that 6-7 times a week, and that means they put in 60-70 hour work weeks. And that doesn't include all the travel, living out of a suitcase (including while at "home" for many), many wondering every winter and July where their next job/home will be, many having no say in the matter.

Being an MLB player would be a dream, but I wouldn't claim these guys have perfect lives.

I get that, point is they have more free time than the average joe, by far and it's not even close.

Unless you work 60-70 hours a week including travel weekly, this is not true. If you're arguing the offseason, then I can agree, though I'm sure many are working hard then as well.

I am not Shea Vucinich

I think a lot of people underestimate what it'd be like being an athlete. If I had a family (or even with just friends or people I care about in general) and I had to attend 3-day work conferences in different cities twice a week for 6 months, I could see that being pretty taxing on relationships and difficult to cope with for extended periods of time. I understand the perks and money in being an athlete are extremely generous, but that doesn't mean it wouldn't put a strain on personal relationships with family members and loved ones while you're away that long.

That's all true, but the trade-off is 5 months off and being retired at 35ish. The people I'd be more sympathetic to are the minor league grinders or 24th man on the roster not really getting the big financial perks or the financial stability to retire early. Those guys will still have to work when they're done and ground away for years barely making livable wages.

If you are the 24th man on the roster you are getting plenty of financial perks, a nice pension and health insurance, especially if you can be that guy for a number of years. However, I do agree that it would be very difficult on a family to have a father playing baseball professionally

Yea of course it could be worse. But think they've ground away for 5 yrs making nothing, hover on the bench in the bigs for a couple years making a couple hundred grand each year. Then either back to grinding away or getting a real job since that's not enough to retire on. Though usually it's still a coaching job or something related to baseball so not exactly a "real" job. Yes, the pension and so forth is nice, but the discussion we're talking here is about time to spend with family. Basically that guy has all the negative side of it, but not the positive side of retiring early and while in the minors likely is working in the offseason or playing winter league somehow to make some extra money so he doesn't get the 5 months off either.

Braun doesn't have 10 years of service time until some time next season.

Wow, you know, you're right. I had seen 10seasons in his stats but service time is around 40days shy of 10yrs after this season.

It was about a month ago, I read a MLBTR writeup that stated Braun has 10&5rights after the season and I ran with it.

Now, still the teams that Braun can be traded to, you assume getting him now is better than getting him in the offseason. At least in the case of the teams who could use him towards a Playoff run. If they dont trade for him by the deadline, I just think they arent wanting to take Braun&his contract on.

On the positive side. You Add the 2016 draft picks as available in trade come offseason.

Yeah it is kind of confusing. This is his 10th year but he came up part way through his first year. I assume he still gets credit for service time during his suspension.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Reports this morning that the Dodgers are open to trading Puig and are potentially looking for an OF replacement. Is there any possibility of a Braun for Puig swap? I'm sure there would have to be more pieces involved, but a trade like this could actually be easier to figure out than Braun for prospects. It'd be a big risk, but Puig's age would line up much better with our next window of competitiveness than Braun.

But Puigs 2 years left of team control wouldn't line up with the next window of contention. Maybe the Brewers would have to take him because I can only imagine his attitude after losing playing time if Braun was acquired. The they could play Puig and hopefully build back some value to flip next year.

Maybe combining Lucroy and Braun to the Dodgers could bring back Puig, Grandal, Jose de Leon and more minor league talent

Puig is the exact opposite of a player we need on this team. He's a cancer. You would be trading Braun who actually seems to be a mentor to young guys for a guy that is just bad and has a horrible attitude. I hope these aren't the type of players Stearns is even considering.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

But Puigs 2 years left of team control wouldn't line up with the next window of contention. Maybe the Brewers would have to take him because I can only imagine his attitude after losing playing time if Braun was acquired. The they could play Puig and hopefully build back some value to flip next year.

Maybe combining Lucroy and Braun to the Dodgers could bring back Puig, Grandal, Jose de Leon and more minor league talent

Dodgers have a lot of quality pitchers in the minors, let's go get one.

Puig is the exact opposite of a player we need on this team. He's a cancer. You would be trading Braun who actually seems to be a mentor to young guys for a guy that is just bad and has a horrible attitude. I hope these aren't the type of players Stearns is even considering.

I bet if you put Puig on a team where he's going to start everyday and in a city the national media doesn't give a crap about and the local media barely care about the team, all these supposed problems with him will disappear.

This is probably the type of creativity it would take to pull off a Braun trade. I'd either add more with Braun to get a good prospect or two back with Puig (and then try to flip Puig), or try to work a three team trade with Puig going elsewhere.

I bet if you put Puig on a team where he's going to start everyday and in a city the national media doesn't give a crap about and the local media barely care about the team, all these supposed problems with him will disappear.

I'd be willing to take that bet... He seems like a guy who wants the spotlight to me. My bet is that if he were to come to Milwaukee, with no chance of winning during his time here, and no spotlight, his attitude would be even worse.

No thank you.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

I think that that is the same philosophy that brought Gary Sheffield to Milwaukee.

I think that that is the same philosophy that brought Gary Sheffield to Milwaukee.

I get you put that in blue but you realize the Brewers drafted him right?

I get you put that in blue but you realize the Brewers drafted him right?

Yes, but he was a punk when they drafted him. He was the best pick available at that time, and luckily they turned him around for some valuable pieces. But he's the most reviled Brewer of all time. Was it worth it?

Yes, but he was a punk when they drafted him. He was the best pick available at that time, and luckily they turned him around for some valuable pieces. But he's the most reviled Brewer of all time. Was it worth it?

What valuable pieces did the Brewers get for Sheffield?

Are you talking about the great Matt Mieske? or better yet the ace Ricky Bones? or the hall of famer Jose Valentin?

Which one of those were a valuable piece again?

What valuable pieces did the Brewers get for Sheffield?

Are you talking about the great Matt Mieske? or better yet the ace Ricky Bones? or the hall of famer Jose Valentin?

Which one of those were a valuable piece again?

Ricky Bones was an all star.

@WiscoSportsNut

Archived