Brewer Fanatic

Braun trade value now

Giants could use him too. Always nice to have an intradivision bidding war.

Too bad the Giants system stinks. He would fit there pretty well, plus they have money coming off the books after this season (roughly $50M), so paying him going forward wouldn't be that difficult in their salary structure.

The Giants' system isnt too awful actually, especially related to what the Brewers could expect in a Braun trade.

Phil Bickford was just ranked the midseason #50 prospect by Baseball America. And if the team could get rid of Braun while only eating about $30 million of his remaining salary, and get a guy who is a future mid rotation starter, I would take it in a second.

He would slide into the #2 pitching prospect slot in the organization, which is currently filled buy a guy who is not really all that impressive this year in his 2nd stint in low A Ball (Devin Williams).

Whoa, What?! Devin Williams as #2 pitching prospect? I wouldn't put him in my top 7 maybe even top 10 amongst Brewer SP prospects.

FWIW Giants and Dodgers both placed 5prospects in BA's midseason ranking update. Which is awesome in a Braun trade because of both not on his no-trade list. As well as both teams would list Braun 3rd in team's payroll costs unlike the #1 he is here.

Similar Prospect gets too among both teams. SP and 1b. You could take a Cody Bellinger/Grant Holmes Or a Phil Bickford/Tyler Beede and Chris Shaw.

Each team having 5 within a top 100 ranking on BA really makes me believe Braun is traded to one of these 2 teams. Both have the talent to offset Braun.

Edit Add: Belt is locked in through 2021 with the Giants. And AGonzalez is locked with LA through 2018. So 1b is blocked for both teams and using their 1b prospects would be ideal. Especially the Giants to use a 2015 pick would make a lot of sense to make Shaw available.

• Replies 732
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When you consider trade possibilities that send Braun to the Dodgers or Giants, please include your ideas to handle the luxury tax issue.

If either team added Braun to their current payroll, they would take a huge hit from MLB .... I believe one dollar in tax for every dollar they'd pay Braun, but I'm not certain of that.

If you're either team, it's either take a huge tax hit, get enough cash from Milwaukee to cover the tax hit, or send enough payroll back to Milwaukee to get back under the tax threshold.

I don't believe either of these teams would simply trade 2-3 prospects for Braun right now, for that reason.

When you consider trade possibilities that send Braun to the Dodgers or Giants, please include your ideas to handle the luxury tax issue.

If either team added Braun to their current payroll, they would take a huge hit from MLB .... I believe one dollar in tax for every dollar they'd pay Braun, but I'm not certain of that.

If you're either team, it's either take a huge tax hit, get enough cash from Milwaukee to cover the tax hit, or send enough payroll back to Milwaukee to get back under the tax threshold.

I don't believe either of these teams would simply trade 2-3 prospects for Braun right now, for that reason.

Whatever is left on Braun's contract this year is the only amount that these two teams need. SF has a lot of money coming off the books next season. So do the Dodgers. So it'll come to about 8million? 6? I dunno what Braun will be owed by the Deadline or the week or two before it. If it's 15million cost this season he should already be down to 7.5million approximately. I've chimed in multiple times you could take Puig from them to offset some salary. If there were problems within clubhouse post trade, you move him in offseason.

Whatever is left on Braun's contract this year is the only amount that these two teams need. SF has a lot of money coming off the books next season. So do the Dodgers. So it'll come to about 8million? 6? I dunno what Braun will be owed by the Deadline or the week or two before it. If it's 15million cost this season he should already be down to 7.5million approximately. I've chimed in multiple times you could take Puig from them to offset some salary. If there were problems within clubhouse post trade, you move him in offseason.

I would think any deferred money owed to Braun years down the road will almost assuredly be picked up by Milwaukee. Splitter is right in that either the Brewers a) kick in substantial cash or b) take back bad contracts in order to acquire good prospects. I have no idea what kind of contract situation those teams are in regards to "dead weight" though.

Gruber Lawffices

Don't see Ryan Braun getting traded anymore at this point. He has come back down to earth production wise and the trade market for outfielders is pretty well stocked. Don't see a team jumping through all the hoops to add a sketchy Braun long term. Maybe in the offseason there will be more hope.

The only risk with Ryan Braun is his health. Keep him healthy, he produces, simple as that. He would be a great candidate for DH if the National league decides to go that route.
"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

The only risk with Ryan Braun is his health. Keep him healthy, he produces, simple as that. He would be a great candidate for DH if the National league decides to go that route.

I don't think the DH will make a difference for Braun. His problems are his back, his side, and his thumb. All things he hurts from swinging the bat.

I still don't think of Braun as sketchy or a risk. I envision him easily outperforming his contract and leading us to the playoffs as the 2nd wild card in 2017.

I like the wishful thinking but I'm curious who you think will be the members of our 5 man starting rotation that is on the brink of leading us back to the playoffs next year?

Yep. If Braun gets traded in 2016, it'll be at the Winter Meetings when contracts are off the books and teams have more financial room to play with.

Any trade after the season requires approval by Braun. The six teams Braun has himself available to trade to, well you'd assume he'd still consider a trade to those 6. But the other teams in the league? He says no and that's the end of that, would be like Justin Upton saying no to being traded to Seattle some years ago.

I think the value Stearns can ask from any of the clubs is reduced because Braun is in control of what happens. Trading him, while he has 10&5 rights would be a payroll dump this offseason. Payroll dumps are just that, dumping and the return isn't reflective of what Value Braun has heading in to this year's deadline, or any other deadlines. But Winter Meetings in the Offseason, Moving Braun is Selling him as a Payroll dump vs. a team Buying him before the deadline.

I don't get that at all. You can always convince a player to waive his no trade clause. Trading him now vs. after the season is really not much of a difference.

Exactly. There are just as many hoops to jump through right now as there will be when he earns the 10&5 rights. Not the same hoops, mind you, but just as many regardless.

I wonder how long Braun is going to play. Saying stuff like; "It's harder than ever to be on the road away from family."
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

I wonder how long Braun is going to play. Saying stuff like; "It's harder than ever to be on the road away from family."

I'd love to see a baseball documentary about the difficulties of raising a family as an MLB player. While no one will shed a tear because MLB players can take care of their family financially, it is certainly a difficult way of life to spent time of away from your very young children. Especially a first child, like Ryan's one-year old daughter.

It very rarely causes players to walk away from the game, however. (especially players with fat contracts)

He will likely use the no trade clause to get a financial kicker from somebody. If a franchise is pushing back on the contract commitments as it is, that extra kicker may exacerbate the financial agreement that clubs will need to reach.

Speaking only for myself, if no one is making it worth our while, I'd just keep Braun.

You take Braun and Lucroy out of here, and a few other trade candidates, and this franchise will truly fall off a cliff. The utter disaster that the Astros became has not even come close to happening yet.

"It's harder than ever to be on the road away from family."

To me that is Braun telegraphing that he really hopes he can be traded to the Dodgers or Angels. I think he views being in Milwaukee as just another form of being on the road.

Given where the Angels are that really leaves the Dodgers.

When Braun signed his contract extension with the Brewers, he wasn't a husband or father yet, but he must have been comfortable enough with Milwaukee to consider it a future family home.

Or perhaps he wanted to cash in his payday before he was caught as a juicer and Milwaukee was the only option.

Too bad, so sad.

But if the Dodgers (or any team) will take him and his contract, I say so long Ryan.

Happy Trails.

I'd love to see a baseball documentary about the difficulties of raising a family as an MLB player. While no one will shed a tear because MLB players can take care of their family financially, it is certainly a difficult way of life to spent time of away from your very young children. Especially a first child, like Ryan's one-year old daughter.

It very rarely causes players to walk away from the game, however. (especially players with fat contracts)

Disney made the documentary already. It's titled: The Rookie.

I don't get that at all. You can always convince a player to waive his no trade clause. Trading him now vs. after the season is really not much of a difference.

You dont get it all, because youre not thinking Braun will object to any trade. I wonder if he'd rather stay in Milwaukee, barring the trade going to a team/city he desires. Say Detroit wanted him for trade. Braun has 0 desire to go. End of trade. Thats what 10+5 rights give him. What are you doing to convince Braun to accept Detroit as his new home/team?

You dont get it all, because youre not thinking Braun will object to any trade. I wonder if he'd rather stay in Milwaukee, barring the trade going to a team/city he desires. Say Detroit wanted him for trade. Braun has 0 desire to go. End of trade. Thats what 10+5 rights give him. What are you doing to convince Braun to accept Detroit as his new home/team?

You said:

"Any trade after the season requires approval by Braun. The six teams Braun has himself available to trade to, well you'd assume he'd still consider a trade to those 6. But the other teams in the league?"

So...what's the difference? If he still considers those 6 teams we are in no different of a position than we are now.

I don't think he would veto a trade(maybe ask for extra money) because there is nothing glamorous about Milwaukee. It isn't home and if he isn't wanted here I am sure he would be happy to leave. I just don't get the feeling Ryan Braun wants to stay in Milwaukee at all costs. He could of course, like you said, veto a trade by flat out saying no. However, I just don't see it.

Wouldn't really interest me. They only work for 7 months then have 5 months completely to themselves and to be with their family. Those 5 months without a job will allow them more time than the joe schmo who works year round and maybe sees their kids for a couple hours each night before bed. Also, you can easily have your family live in the home team city so you're only really gone for a week or so at a time, especially when they're not school age yet. When school age they can be in your home team city for the couple summer months at least. Moreover, you retire when you're 35, free to spend as much time as possible with them. Much more than the normal guy who works his whole life. Sorry, I don't feel bad at all.

That movie had nothing to do with life on the road, away from family, as a big leaguer.

Archived