Brewer Fanatic

Braun trade value now

• Replies 732
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I will say with the addition of Carter it has been a very fun 1-2 punch circa the Fielder days. Hopefully Carter continues to slug doubles and dingers!
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Does anyone really show up at the ballpark for Ryan Braun anymore?

No, and they never have. Maybe his rookie year when people wanted to check him out, I can see that. But 99% of the time people go to a game for other reasons. They have season tickets, someone gave them tickets for a game, they were invited as part of some event, etc. Only other reason is winning, and that really only affects September and the following season.

I wouldn't say they show up for him but by being a team able to win 68-74 will probably draw a 100-200 extra thousand vs a team that wins 55-62 games. That's where he comes in right now, keeping them respectable instead of embarrassing.

If the Brewers keep sucking but Braun (Or really anyone else) is in contention for a batting crown, MVP, etc I imagine that has some small effect on attendance. If there is any marquee player that might draw in the average fan it probably still his Braun. Chicks dig the long ball but the average fan still doesn't know who Chris Carter is.

Braun has had a really good season but I'd suggest that he is having minimal positive financial impact on any tix sold. Factor in his pay and it's highly doubtful he is a money maker.

The Brewers should absolutely listen to trade offers to build their currently underperforming farm system.

I guess to me it's if you get a truly elite prospect (Khris Bryant types) then you do it. If you're getting one guy from the tier below that (guys like Philips we got from gomez, which are still basically crapshoots) and then one or two guys lower then I'd rather just keep him. And you're not getting a truly elite prospect so here we are.

Just because we are "swimming in cash" does NOT mean we should have a $20mil player just burn a hole in our pocket. Maybe you are forgetting, but baseball is actually a business...where you want to make money. If we aren't competing paying Braun $20mil is a massive waste of money. The money is a huge motivator to trade him and probably why Attanasio would want to sign off on such a deal.

Braun's slash line (and career slash) is burning a hole in our pocket? Do you see anybody better that should be playing over him right now? Because i'm sorry, but Kirk Neuwenhuis, Keon Broxton, and whoever Jo Schmo else sure don't inspire me, nor have they earned the right to time. He will revert to the mean a bit, but the guy is putting up MVP numbers right now. Give him his due.

Somebody has to bat some runs in, somebody has to protect the other younger guys in the lineup. Somebody needs to provide some leadership in that clubhouse for the young guys.

Have you SEEN the Philadelphia 76ers? That is what kind of dumpster fire ensues if you burn the house down and there is no guidance from somebody(s) that have actually been there and done that before. Why do you think Michael Carter-Williams came to us the way he was? He even talked about it.

This ain't a vacuum we live in watching this team, you can't just push every single guy making a buck out for another guy making fifty cents. The cycle never ends. I'd sure as heck rather watch Ryan Braun at $20 mil per swat .300 and 40 HR than watch Keon Broxton bat .180 and look like a clown out there. And i'm a pretty devoted Brewer fan, imagine those who are more casual in nature.

I can see Lucroy getting shipped out, that makes sense. Braun however I don't think is going anywhere. He will still likely be a .280 ish hitter barring injury when these kids are ready to compete, ala Alfonso Soriano in his latter years. Lucroy on the other hand could be concussed and out of the league by then, or at the least a shell of himself like Joe Mauer.

So what I have come up with in summary is most belive that fans do not come to the park to see Braun nor will he have a huge impact in bring in any financial subsidence to the brewer's until the rebuild is finished so to me the only reason you would not trade Braun would be if he could bring value to the Yong players delvop and only the brewer's can answer that,but if it was me and I was offered a couple top prospects I would do it . YOU have sold

the fans on the rebuild and that won't last forever so you need to maximize all assets and that means selling Braun well there is value .

Just because we are "swimming in cash" does NOT mean we should have a $20mil player just burn a hole in our pocket. Maybe you are forgetting, but baseball is actually a business...where you want to make money. If we aren't competing paying Braun $20mil is a massive waste of money. The money is a huge motivator to trade him and probably why Attanasio would want to sign off on such a deal.

Have you SEEN the Philadelphia 76ers? That is what kind of dumpster fire ensues if you burn the house down and there is no guidance from somebody(s) that have actually been there and done that before. Why do you think Michael Carter-Williams came to us the way he was? He even talked about it.

This ain't a vacuum we live in watching this team, you can't just push every single guy making a buck out for another guy making fifty cents. The cycle never ends. I'd sure as heck rather watch Ryan Braun at $20 mil per swat .300 and 40 HR than watch Keon Broxton bat .180 and look like a clown out there. And i'm a pretty devoted Brewer fan, imagine those who are more casual in nature.

I can see Lucroy getting shipped out, that makes sense. Braun however I don't think is going anywhere. He will still likely be a .280 ish hitter barring injury when these kids are ready to compete, ala Alfonso Soriano in his latter years. Lucroy on the other hand could be concussed and out of the league by then, or at the least a shell of himself like Joe Mauer.

Or, you end up with the Cubs, who don't have a single player on their roster that was here before 2012.. I like that comparison much better since comparing to an NBA team is apples and oranges. Guys aren't spending 4 years in developmental leagues in the NBA before they're even pro-ready.

The key to a rebuild is acquiring as much young talent as possible for your next future opportunity of contention. It's not about whether fans would rather see Braun or Broxton in a year that doesn't matter anyway. The odds of Braun's skills being good enough to still be a star player by our next window of contention are very unlikely. If he is indeed a .300 40 HR player again now that he's healthy he would be a tremendous trade chip for us this summer and we'd be foolish not to entertain offers

I actually wouldn't mind seeing Braun finish his career in Milwaukee and get his number retired. I'm all for the rebuild but I just don't see, given his age, his contract, his injury history and his ped baggage that you'll ever get a worth while offer. He seems like a very good team player. He's made no comments on the current state of the team, unlike Lucroy. He's changed positions three times for the sake of the team. And he's still putting up good numbers. Hopefully by the end of his contract there will be a DH in the NL which would be perfect for him. If you get a good offer, sure trade him. But I am good with keeping him.

Braun however I don't think is going anywhere. He will still likely be a .280 ish hitter barring injury

First thought you seem to be acting like we are proposing the Brewers to dump Braun just to save the money. That isn't even remotely close so try to read more closely.

Second thought via the bolded part. Do you not realize Braun has been injured frequently, with pretty serious injuries at that, for years now? I don't know I would call it likely for him to hit .280 years from now.

Or, you end up with the Cubs, who don't have a single player on their roster that was here before 2012.. I like that comparison much better since comparing to an NBA team is apples and oranges. Guys aren't spending 4 years in developmental leagues in the NBA before they're even pro-ready.

The key to a rebuild is acquiring as much young talent as possible for your next future opportunity of contention. It's not about whether fans would rather see Braun or Broxton in a year that doesn't matter anyway. The odds of Braun's skills being good enough to still be a star player by our next window of contention are very unlikely. If he is indeed a .300 40 HR player again now that he's healthy he would be a tremendous trade chip for us this summer and we'd be foolish not to entertain offers

Soriano actually was in Chicago during the heart of their dumpster fire (2012-2013), 101 and 96 loss seasons. He "cluttered" up the outfield on a big salary too...yet the Cubs seem to have turned out just fine.

If you're looking for Braun to get traded, IF it were to happen its going to be in 2 ish or so years down the road when there are new stars for people to attach to. IMO

Braun however I don't think is going anywhere. He will still likely be a .280 ish hitter barring injury

First thought you seem to be acting like we are proposing the Brewers to dump Braun just to save the money. That isn't even remotely close so try to read more closely.

Second thought via the bolded part. Do you not realize Braun has been injured frequently, with pretty serious injuries at that, for years now? I don't know I would call it likely for him to hit .280 years from now.

1) There absolutely are people on here who want to dump Braun solely to save money. I know you aren't suggesting it, but the intrinsic value Braun possesses is much higher to us than it will be any other team. If he were about 29 then it might be a different story.

2) This is just an eyeball test, but from the way he is hitting he's 100% healthy for the first time in years. The past few years since the PEDs were more of a slog along and he struggled for everything he got. This year he's crushing souls.

I do see the general idea that he should be traded...i'm not blind. I just don't think it's realistic in his career at this point. Maybe when he's 36-37 he will be unloaded for peanuts, but I think its more likely he finishes his career here.

Soriano actually was in Chicago during the heart of their dumpster fire (2012-2013), 101 and 96 loss seasons. He "cluttered" up the outfield on a big salary too...yet the Cubs seem to have turned out just fine.

What exactly are you even trying to compare? Alfonso Soriano was massively overpaid, old, and was not very good. His value was negative.

Now how does that compare to Braun?

The Cubs tried to trade Soriano to the Giants in 2012 but he wouldn't waive his no trade clause. They were thrilled to trade him. It took a long time because he had an albatross of a contract and was aging. It certainly wasn't because of a lack of desire or because they somehow felt it was important that they keep him around in the rebuild.

I'm not sure at all what you were trying to say with your sentence about the Cubs turning out just fine, that was my point, it's almost like you're implying that the Cubs are great now because Soriano was a part of their rebuild, which we obviously both know isn't true.

I'm not sure at all what you were trying to say with your sentence about the Cubs turning out just fine, that was my point, it's almost like you're implying that the Cubs are great now because Soriano was a part of their rebuild, which we obviously both know isn't true.

Too many fans around baseball think the Cubs are godly and the road to success is to be exactly like them. If they held onto a massive contract for no reason we must too!!!

Too many fans around baseball think the Cubs are godly and the road to success is to be exactly like them. If they held onto a massive contract for no reason we must too!!!

Do you think they haven't built an impressive team & done so through rebuilding from the bottom up? Just because some fans (me included) see the Cubs as being a model to emulate doesn't mean anyone claims they are "godly". Hell, the same model is what led to the Brewers re-visiting the playoffs. I swear, it's incredible how it feels like so many posters here have completely forgotten how the last successful 'era' was built in Milwaukee.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

I'd say they are the model team right now for the gut and rebuild strategy, which is the closest model to what we're doing right now.

I agree, and Houston is another good example. That Stearns was heavily involved in the approach in Houston is both encouraging, & evident given his moves as Brewers GM so far.

I agree with the overall sentiment that Braun is less likely than Lucroy to bring back a significant return. But to quote Super Troopers, "desperation is a stinky cologne." Luc definitely is the more solid overall bet, factoring in age/contract/'baggage'/etc. But Braun is without question the higher-upside bat. It only takes one or two clubs being interested to deliver a great return.

Do you think they haven't built an impressive team & done so through rebuilding from the bottom up? Just because some fans (me included) see the Cubs as being a model to emulate doesn't mean anyone claims they are "godly". Hell, the same model is what led to the Brewers re-visiting the playoffs. I swear, it's incredible how it feels like so many posters here have completely forgotten how the last successful 'era' was built in Milwaukee.

I am in no way saying their model hasn't worked but, many forget the Cubs have put themselves over the top due to some major FA signings. Something we will never be able to do. You can't just copy everything they do especially something bad like holding onto Soriano just because the Cubs did it and they turned out OK. Why even trade Lucroy? We don't know that it will actually help us in the future and we might just end up OK not trading him. Bottom line it isn't that simple to follow in a teams footsteps. If it was that easy everyone would have amazing teams.

Personally following the Cubs model is probably a bad idea. The team was built with near perfection and honestly total luck. Every trade worked out and they were hitting on draft picks left and right. Then to top it off they had the payroll to add a couple FAs. I don't think their model is something amazing or better than other routes to go. Not saying another team can't/won't succeed with that model, but I am not sure it is necessarily better.

I am in no way saying their model hasn't worked but, many forget the Cubs have put themselves over the top due to some major FA signings. Something we will never be able to do. You can't just copy everything they do especially something bad like holding onto Soriano just because the Cubs did it and they turned out OK. Why even trade Lucroy? We don't know that it will actually help us in the future and we might just end up OK not trading him. Bottom line it isn't that simple to follow in a teams footsteps. If it was that easy everyone would have amazing teams.

Personally following the Cubs model is probably a bad idea. The team was built with near perfection and honestly total luck. Every trade worked out and they were hitting on draft picks left and right. Then to top it off they had the payroll to add a couple FAs. I don't think their model is something amazing or better than other routes to go. Not saying another team can't/won't succeed with that model, but I am not sure it is necessarily better.

I'm at a loss as to which poster(s) is/are advocating copying "everything they do." Extreme hyperbole like that gets in the way of good conversation & discussion imo -- it projects a dismissive attitude, when really you have a lot of constructive observations & good discussion to voice.

And "total luck" does an extreme disservice to the long-term plan that Epstein & Co put in place from day 1 when they took over on the North Side. I agree they've had things work out for them in addition to skill, but to call it pure luck isn't accurate either. They defined the plan that they believed would work for them (which, yes, includes spending some of the buttloads of money that they do have), & stuck to it. The Brewers can't do the same exact thing, but we sure as heck can take cues from what worked for CHC, & what has historically worked for teams that have to rebuild (like HOU, & even the Brewers themselves in the early 2000s).

Braun is hitting now and it's nice to have good bats on the team, but an injury is right around the corner, or so it seems and feels with him. If he plays 100 games this season, call me surprised. If we could get back a good haul, not even a great haul, and a taker for all of his salary, he should sadly be gone.

Archived