Brewer Fanatic

Braun trade value now

• Replies 732
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Prospects are simply not that valuable.

aaaaaaaaaaand we're done here

I actually kind of agree with that statement. You could literally fill 50 AAA teams with "untradeable top 15 prospects" that never made it to the majors, let alone guys that did make it but didn't have the impact of multiple time all stars like Braun and lucroy.

While I think Gioloto and Moncada are probably untouchable, there's no reason for the Brewers to settle for anything less than a similar package to what they obtained last year for Gomez.

There seems to be a perception, or even arrogance, that the Brewers should essentially just give Braun and/or Lucroy away for whatever a big market club is nice enough to offer us. That couldn't be further from the truth, and Stearns will be smarter than that.

Taking a bad deal just to get what we can not only hurts the club, but sets a bad precedent in further negotiations with any team that Stearns can be taken advantage of.

Braun and Lucroy are elite level players and will be priced as such. It's possible that Stearns will lower the price slightly around the deadline if he feels motivated to make a deal rather than wait, but he certainly doesn't have to.

Braun and Lucroy are elite level players and will be priced as such. It's possible that Stearns will lower the price slightly around the deadline if he feels motivated to make a deal rather than wait, but he certainly doesn't have to.

Agreed 100%. It's not a fire sale. While I'm in the group that believes you want to trade Braun sooner rather than later because of his health issues, I have no problem with standing pat on Lucroy and giving him more time at 1B in the future to hold onto him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The proposed deals with the Giants are preposterous. Why would the Brewers trade Braun for middling prospects while eating salary- in effect, buying those players for well into eight figures while trading the teams most reliable offensive player? In a climate where the likes of Justin Upton and Jason Heyward command 9 figure deals (and forfeited draft picks for the privilege)? No way. You would think that Braun is having an awful season as opposed to being one of the most productive players in the league. If a team wants to acquire Braun, they had better ante up and be ready to take the entire contract.

The Brewers would have to eat money to trade Braun. That is just the reality. Braun is made of glass, bad past, and getting old. Throwing lots of money at him and giving up big time prospects isn't going to happen.

I will agree that the packages proposed for the Giants is a little on the "meh" side, but I don't expect Braun to bring back any great prospects. He still should be bring back some promising guys though.

The Brewers would have to eat money to trade Braun. That is just the reality. Braun is made of glass, bad past, and getting old. Throwing lots of money at him and giving up big time prospects isn't going to happen.

I will agree that the packages proposed for the Giants is a little on the "meh" side, but I don't expect Braun to bring back any great prospects. He still should be bring back some promising guys though.

Agreed. However, if people don't think Bickford and Shaw are promising prospects, I don't know what to tell them.

I'm all for keeping Braun but that's life, you probably aren't getting good prospects for him.. You can't force a team to fork up great prospects for him. Keep him or find the best deal out there..

Also keeping lucroy makes no sense, get the best assets and run before he hits payday..

Supposedly the Brewers and Giants are in "preliminary talks" about Ryan Braun:

http://host.madison.com/wsj/sports/baseball/professional/brewers-giants-reportedly-eyeing-trade-for-ryan-braun/article_546d65b6-0a2e-5848-a9c5-4d27a88b6468.html

This quote from Braun (from the article) on the situation is pretty hilarious:

“It seems regardless of which team we’re playing, that’s the team I’m getting traded to,” Braun said. “It started when we played the Angels, I was getting traded there. Then we played the Cubs and I was getting traded there, so I’m assuming by this weekend I’ll be getting traded to the Dodgers and not the Giants.”

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

I really don't want to trade Braun (for purely sentimental reasons of course), but if we do, we better eat a lot of the contract and get an absolute haul of prospects back. Get the best talent package you can, regardless of position, and figure out the rest later. Same with Luc.

Seconded...

Fourthed

I don't typically reply in threads. But when I do, I fifth what was said...

The Ayes have it.

The more I look at the Giants prospects, the more I really don't like them as a trade partner. I'm still holding out hope that the Nats come to their senses and realize that their window is now to win a WS - and they desperately need a big RH bat to go between Harper and Murphy.

Brewers get:

Turner or Robles

Fedde or Lopez

Nats get:

Braun (maybe the Brewers agree to pay the remainder of Braun's '16 salary in this deal)

Either Blazek or Thornburg (not sure if they need any relief help but we should have a surplus in which to deal from)

Do the Nats laugh Stearns off the phone with this offer, or is this a reasonable offer?

With how Lucroy is playing Stearn should absolutely be holding out for a top notch package. He doesn't need to be in any rush to trade him, now if it was next year at this time it's different. But he can just hold that over every team's head that he doesn't have to do it by this deadline. Really the same goes with Braun, if not given a clearly strong package he just doesn't have to do it any time soon.

From what we can tell as fans, Stearns is doing exactly as we'd like him to be doing, definitely listening and communicating with teams but he's on the better side of the bargaining table and doesn't need to cave. This is basic negotiating, ask for way too much early on (since we're not close to this year's deadline and still both guys are under contract) and go from there.

The more I look at the Giants prospects, the more I really don't like them as a trade partner. I'm still holding out hope that the Nats come to their senses and realize that their window is now to win a WS - and they desperately need a big RH bat to go between Harper and Murphy.

Brewers get:

Turner or Robles

Fedde or Lopez

Nats get:

Braun (maybe the Brewers agree to pay the remainder of Braun's '16 salary in this deal)

Either Blazek or Thornburg (not sure if they need any relief help but we should have a surplus in which to deal from)

Do the Nats laugh Stearns off the phone with this offer, or is this a reasonable offer?

I'll say it once, I'll say it again, I would kill for Robles. His tools are absolutely out of this world. I really think the Nats would consider Braun for Robles if we were willing to pay a chunk of his salary. And if it were me, I'd be willing to fork over big bucks for Robles.

Brewers get:

Turner or Robles

Fedde or Lopez

Nats get:

He would hang up so fast you wouldn't even hear him laugh. I am sorry, but we just aren't going to get a prospect that good for Braun barring a complete utter maricle. I think Lucroy has tons more value than Braun and Robles is a huge dream to get. Though for Licroy maybe not impossible.

Regarding the money I think $20mil will make a lot of teams happy. That way the contract is small enough to where if his injuries tank his production it won't be a big burden on the payroll. Or God forbid he gets suspended for an entire season(saves the money, but not the prospects they gave up to help them win games). OR make them feel better if his production naturally falls off in a year or two. People have to understand that paying him a big chunk of money and giving up prospects is not attractive to any team. You then have risks on the financial side and on the prospects you just sacrificed. It all depends on how desperate a team is and how the market shakes out. I always look to Cole Hamels who all the experts said the Phillies needed to eat money, but in the end I don't think they did and they got quite a haul.

Brewers get:

Turner or Robles

Fedde or Lopez

Nats get:

He would hang up so fast you wouldn't even hear him laugh. I am sorry, but we just aren't going to get a prospect that good for Braun barring a complete utter maricle. I think Lucroy has tons more value than Braun and Robles is a huge dream to get. Though for Licroy maybe not impossible.

Regarding the money I think $20mil will make a lot of teams happy. That way the contract is small enough to where if his injuries tank his production it won't be a big burden on the payroll. Or God forbid he gets suspended for an entire season(saves the money, but not the prospects they gave up to help them win games). OR make them feel better if his production naturally falls off in a year or two. People have to understand that paying him a big chunk of money and giving up prospects is not attractive to any team. You then have risks on the financial side and on the prospects you just sacrificed. It all depends on how desperate a team is and how the market shakes out. I always look to Cole Hamels who all the experts said the Phillies needed to eat money, but in the end I don't think they did and they got quite a haul.

Honestly then, I would just hold onto Braun if we can't get two legitimate prospects in return for him. I realize there are injury risks and PED history with him that teams may want to stay away from, but the guy is still one of the best RH bats in baseball when he is healthy - and despite his indiscretions, he's been the face of our franchise since he came up about 10 years ago. I don't think we should give the guy away for an Adam Lind like deal where all you are getting back is a couple of lottery tickets. I think we should expect to get a couple of good prospects in return for him - guys that have a good shot of at least being MLB starters/contributors for us. I know it isn't my money, but I'd be willing to eat about 20 mil in the deal if it brought back two legit prospects in the deal. Our payroll isn't going to be high the next couple of years, and we were going to have to pay Braun that money anyway.

But, if we can't get a good package in return for him, then let's just hold onto him. Either he ends his career as a Brewer, or maybe some other team gets desperate in the offseason or next July (if Braun is putting up great numbers again) - and then we can have this same discussion all over again.

Brewers get:

Turner or Robles

Fedde or Lopez

Nats get:

Honestly then, I would just hold onto Braun if we can't get two legitimate prospects in return for him. I realize there are injury risks and PED history with him that teams may want to stay away from, but the guy is still one of the best RH bats in baseball when he is healthy - and despite his indiscretions, he's been the face of our franchise since he came up about 10 years ago. I don't think we should give the guy away for an Adam Lind like deal where all you are getting back is a couple of lottery tickets. I think we should expect to get a couple of good prospects in return for him - guys that have a good shot of at least being MLB starters/contributors for us. I know it isn't my money, but I'd be willing to eat about 20 mil in the deal if it brought back two legit prospects in the deal. Our payroll isn't going to be high the next couple of years, and we were going to have to pay Braun that money anyway.

But, if we can't get a good package in return for him, then let's just hold onto him. Either he ends his career as a Brewer, or maybe some other team gets desperate in the offseason or next July (if Braun is putting up great numbers again) - and then we can have this same discussion all over again.

This is a pretty good summary of my feelings on the subject as well. For the record I don't want to move Braun. Period. However, if the Brewers decide to and the packages offered do not bring back prospects that are on par with his production, then I would much prefer to keep him and watch him end as a career Brewer.

Brewers get:

Turner or Robles

Fedde or Lopez

Nats get:

Not saying we can't get good prospects, but Turner/Robles are about as good as it gets. The kind of prospects that are only traded for special players controllable for years at pre FA prices.

Fedde is an attainable target in the Nationals system and I think they could get a slightly better prospect too. If a team is desperate for a RH bat Braun might be the best thing available by a long shot. I could see something as good as a Brett Phillips type prospect. Throw in another solid prospect and some lower level guys and you have yourself a nice haul.

Yoenis Cespedes was the big bat addition as a rental last season. And he got Michael Fullmer an on his way top 50 prospect and Luis Cessa. Only for the Mets to resign him for 25mil a season. So again, Braun, better offensively, and making 17.5mil roughly is a better get than Yoenis is. Put in perspective, Braun has a higher Career OPS than Yoenis's best OPS season by 30+pts. Now that guy is making about 7.5mil more than Braun per year this season and next 2. The Bat is Elite. The money is below market. Excepting anything in a trade that doesn't come with an elite upside means Brewers lose that trade and the other team wins. Simple as that. If you're not getting a A grade prospect back you can accomodate with at least 3 B grade prospects and one should be a + for a B grade.

I don't know if the Giants possess the B+ vs. B to B- types. But for any matter, any trade of Braun needs that type of return. If not, keep him he gets cheaper and far more affordable every season that passes now. He's a legit #3 bat in any lineup. That's not your upside or hope. Legit. Prospects are Upside. Maikel Franco was a top 20-50 ranked prospect. I believe he's in Phillies #3 in batting order. .738OPS after .840 last half of season last year. Only Braun's worst year was below .840.

Eating money isn't necessary except to send to teams who don't pay players 15mil+ That bottom 10 franchises. That's to make Braun affordable to them. Any other franchise, he's very affordable to cheap.

When looking at Braun you can't just look at his offensive stats. There are many more variables that effect his value and what a market wants to pay him. Here are below just some issues with a Cespedes comparison:

Yoenis Cespedes contract is 3 years vs Braun at 4 years. That's worth a couple million more yearly itself.

Cespedes contract would run through his age 32 season vs. Braun's running through his age 36 season. Once again a big difference.

Cespedes doesn't have a major injury concerns vs. Braun with multiple chronic injuries(back/thumb most notably). Another big difference.

Cespedes has above average defense and could play CF vs. Braun who can only play an average LF.

Braun who can only play an average LF.

That's putting it nicely.

Braun is better off getting traded to an AL team. He provides major value as a DH. Way more than if you have to find a place to play him in the field.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I have a feeling any Braun trade would be some kind of three team deal.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

With all the rumors out there, I think Braun will be traded, and I think the Brewers will get a nice return. This snippet from MLBTraderumors.com is nice to hear:

"...Brewers owner Mark Attanasio is more concerned with ensuring that the Brewers receive premium talent than he is shedding a portion of Braun’s notable contract."

I think the Brewers could get a decent return for Braun without eating any salary, but if they eat salary, they should be able to get multiple "Top 100" guys for him. Stearns is in a very good position in that he arguably has the two best commodities on the market, and other GMs will be bidding against each other to get them. All it takes is for one of them to get anxious and offer up what Stearns wants, and we could end up with a gold mine.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Archived