Brewer Fanatic

Braun trade value now

• Replies 732
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What these writers/rumors are referring to is his full contract as it stands. Braun at 5/$105(minus what we have paid of it) IS a problem. No one wants him at that and giving up prospects. The Brewers want good prospects so that makes the contract a problem. There has been conflicting reports of whether or not the Brewers would eat money and to what extent. We also don't know how cheap Braun has to be to make teams start throwing around good prospects.

Why? If he were a free agent, he'd likely land 5 years and $125 million, if not a 6th year. His contract is a bargain. So to say nobody wants him at that is foolish. If they want him, they'll part with prospects. We all know that prospects only work out some times.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
The big thing about trading Braun is trying to predict his future production vs what we could be expected to field in his place. The money really doesn't come into it. Can we get someone close to what his bat will be in 2-3 years or get someone at another position to take up the slack? I don't think we could replace the production he is putting up right now.

Why would that matter if this team is going to be mediocre even with his bat for the next 2-3 years?

I think the point was what will Ryan's bat be line in 2 or 3 years (so in 2018-19), as opposed to this year and next.

Will whatever we get for Braun now be better in 2018-20 (when we will hopefully be thinking about being relevant) than what we could get from Ryan himself during that same time frame.

Few people think we'll contend this year or next, so yes, what Ryan really does in that time irrelevant in some ways. But in 2018-2020, he could potentially still be very good. He could also be washed up. With that in mind, you then just have to question if it is better or worse than what he could bring in a trade.

I find this article especially interesting when Braun says the following:

I don't find it anything notable. Ryan Braun has always been a good PR guy and says the right things.

Yeah, that press conference after his positive PED test was thrown out due to a technicality was a good PR move; he said a lot of "right things" that day.

For me, it would be more meaningful to help get us back to the place where we want to be as an organization and win again here than it would anywhere else. I feel like we're heading in a direction where we have a wave of impact players coming, so it would be a lot of fun for me to be a part of that. I would be the guy they would come to for help with the transition. I enjoy that mentor aspect. But we'll see what the future holds.

These past few years I've been all for trading away our big talent to rebuild the farm system and aim to contend 2-3 years from now. I love Lucroy and will be very sad to see him go, but I pray they trade him before he inevitably begins to decline. And I am very happy they did so with Gomez, another of my favorite Brewers.

But whether he's just putting on a good show for the media or not, for a few reasons I hope we keep Braun through the rebuild. For one, it's hard to see him getting a great return in a trade unless we eat a huge part of his contract. But on top of that, the guy has been through the ups and downs, played on some bad Brewers teams, and does so with a smile and a hell of a bat. I think he genuinely likes being a Brewer, perhaps in part since Brewers fans are probably the only ones in baseball that still embrace him. Whether or not he's doing it for good PR, he says and does all the right things, and I do believe that he'd love to be a part of a contender in Milwaukee again. I'd like that too.

I am not Shea Vucinich

I don't find it anything notable. Ryan Braun has always been a good PR guy and says the right things.

Yeah, that press conference after his positive PED test was thrown out due to a technicality was a good PR move; he said a lot of "right things" that day.

Oh geez, let it go already...

I don't understand how people are still holding this over his head. The guy made a mistake, he has paid the price, he is making amends.

What good does it do to hate one of your own guys.

Time to move on.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Oh good you found the outlier in his entire career. Even then looking back it was a pretty good PR move in my opinion. Got a lot of people believing in his lies etc. At the very least he said all the right things for the circumstances. That is...until he got caught.

He is a pretty good PR guy when it comes to talking about the team and his future etc. never a guy to say bad things about his team, teammates, etc etc etc

[sarcasm]Yea smart move would have been to win the appeal and the come out and admit it[/sarcasm].

Also, the thing lost in him bashing the collection guy is that the collection guy did do his job horribly.

[sarcasm]Yea smart move would have been to win the appeal and the come out and admit it[/sarcasm].

Also, the thing lost in him bashing the collection guy is that the collection guy did do his job horribly.

Can't let facts get in the way of opinions and vendettas.

The bashing of the sample collector is so overblown as well. If the guy would've done his job right, he never would've been involved.

"There were a lot of things that we learned about the collector, about the collection process, about the way that the entire thing worked, that made us very concerned and very suspicious about what could have actually happened."
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Oh geez, let it go already...

I don't understand how people are still holding this over his head. The guy made a mistake, he has paid the price, he is making amends.

What good does it do to hate one of your own guys.

Time to move on.

You completely missed the point of my post. Maybe you need to read it again?

Can't let facts get in the way of opinions and vendettas.

Vendetta? Good grief.

Not sure if the format is weird for you guys as well, but I saw this trade proposal and thought it might make for a good discussion. I would absolutely love to take Robles off the Nats hands.

http://www.armchairallamericans.com/lets-trade-ryan-braun/

Well, Corey Ray makes all acquisitions of an OF trade mute to me. Pass.

Think the Brewers still make that trade though. Robles is really good...really good...like really really good. I think you got the point. I don't know what you do if Phillips, Clark, Ray, and Robles all turn into above average OFers, but it doesn't matter. If you get the chance to nab a guy like Robles you don't pass it up.

Of course that is without knowing the other offers. In my opinion the Nationals would be crazy to offer Robles and he would be by far the best prospect offered to them for Braun. Whoever wrote that proposal needs to be the Nationals GM.

Not sure if the format is weird for you guys as well, but I saw this trade proposal and thought it might make for a good discussion. I would absolutely love to take Robles off the Nats hands.

http://www.armchairallamericans.com/lets-trade-ryan-braun/

It’s no secret that Milwaukee is in the midst of a rebuild, despite what the front office might say

When has the front office ever denied it? Hell, even ownership admitted they are and it's much harder for them to admit it than the front office that was literally just brought in to do the rebuild.

Really don't see the Nationals as a landing spot. We aren't getting Giolito, Turner, or Robles in a trade. They are all just way too good of prospects to be giving up. Unless they are getting a Fernandez etc. in a trade those guys aren't going anywhere.

After that they just don't have good enough pieces to entice the Brewers.

Nightengale tweet

"The #SFGiants will get an up-close and personal look at #Brewers Ryan Braun, who's on their radar,with 3-game series beginning tonight in SF"

Their top 2 Pitching prospects?

Beede

Bickford

We eat some salary

for

Braun

Nightengale tweet

"The #SFGiants will get an up-close and personal look at #Brewers Ryan Braun, who's on their radar,with 3-game series beginning tonight in SF"

Their top 2 Pitching prospects?

Beede

Bickford

We eat some salary

for

Braun

https://twitter.com/jp_breen/status/742352658703470593

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Well, Corey Ray makes all acquisitions of an OF trade mute to me. Pass.

In no way should the Brewers be worried about position when making any trades at the deadline. It's about getting the best possible talent they can, at ANY position.

We don't want a talented OF just because we drafted Ray? Let's worry about Ray if/when he ever makes it to MLB. Look at Maverick, seemed he was destined for the Brewers OF by 2017 at the latest. Now he's taken a step back. Won't bother going down memory lane listing all the great prospects who never developed.

Good news is, I'm 99% sure Stearns understands this perfectly well, and will be looking for the best talent he can get.

I really don't want to trade Braun (for purely sentimental reasons of course), but if we do, we better eat a lot of the contract and get an absolute haul of prospects back. Get the best talent package you can, regardless of position, and figure out the rest later. Same with Luc.
"I wish him the best. I hope he finds peace and happiness in his life and is able to enjoy his life. I wish him the best." - Ryan Braun on Kirk Gibson 6/17/14

I really don't want to trade Braun (for purely sentimental reasons of course), but if we do, we better eat a lot of the contract and get an absolute haul of prospects back. Get the best talent package you can, regardless of position, and figure out the rest later. Same with Luc.

Seconded...

Archived