Brewer Fanatic

Braun trade value now

There arent a whole lot of teams in the league that couldnt find a place for a healthy Braun.

Id still say the Dodgers are the best fit for all involved though.

The same team that just released an outfielder for $35mil? I doubt they want to invest millions in a new aging injury prone outfielder.

Not to mention they have Thompson, Puig, and Pederson. No room for Braun.

That team (yes, I realize Friedman is there now) took on something like a quarter of a billion dollars in order to get a battered Beckett and Adrian Gonzalez with Crawford. I'm not sure I agree that it's a great fit because I think I'd just roll with Puig, Pederson, Ethier, Van Slyke, Thompson, Hernandez, and Guerrero in some sort of platoon at each spot when those guys area healthy, but the big markets will knowingly overpay guys or know that they'll be a $30 million sunk cost over the last 2 years of their contract or something like that.

If the Dodgers want to stay around $250 million, Braun could definitely be worked in. They could move him to 1B if they don't keep Adrian 2 year from now.

All of that said, again, I'm not sure he's a great fit and they also have their TV contract fiasco, so maybe they're less inclined to take on $. But the fact that they just said "meh" and dumped a speed-based player that was foolishly signed past age 31 is probably an argument in favor of them taking on Braun. Braun probably profiles better late into his career, and if not...as it currently stands, that's just a sunk cost of getting a good player in.

• Replies 732
  • Created
  • Last Reply
There arent a whole lot of teams in the league that couldnt find a place for a healthy Braun.

The same team that just released an outfielder for $35mil? I doubt they want to invest millions in a new aging injury prone outfielder.

Braun's better than all 3 and Im hardly a Braun fan.

LA dumping Crawford was due to his 464 ops, not because they are loaded with OF talent. I think they are pretty sick of Puig and he might be one of they guys they dump to pick up a real OFer that is less insane.

Seager and Thompson are their only two guys OPSing more than 800, they need offense.

Braun & Santana for Pederson + pitching
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

I know what the writers are referring too. I'm explaining to you why they aren't entirely correct. There's a multitude of ways to get around contracts so saying it's a problem isn't entirely accurate.

Is it not a problem if you need to find ways to get around it? Cause that sounds like a problem. The better question is how big of a problem? I'd lean towards more of a small hurdle to get over, but then again I don't know the details. How much are the Brewers willing to eat? Anything less than the $18m and you may have a bigger problem. What do other teams demand to be paid by the Brewers? Any more than the $18mil and you likely have a big issue.

The biggest issue when it come to the NTC is probably going to be money related too. I am not really concerned about him blocking a trade with it, but using it to demand his option being picked up. Suddenly more money has been added to the equation. Does that alter the return or how much the Brewers must pay?

Because, in the grand scheme of how baseball operates, the contract isn't a problem. Eating money in deals is extremely common. Cash considerations are traded all the time as well. You're grasping at the literal definition of problem as a way to try and be "right." Either way, we can move on from this now.

Braun's better than all 3 and Im hardly a Braun fan.

LA dumping Crawford was due to his 464 ops, not because they are loaded with OF talent. I think they are pretty sick of Puig and he might be one of they guys they dump to pick up a real OFer that is less insane.

Seager and Thompson are their only two guys OPSing more than 800, they need offense.

Still doesn't change the fact they have Puig, Thompson, and Pederson(plus Either soon). There is nowhere to put Braun. Those three main guys aren't going anywhere. At least not yet. Braun may be better(when healthy), but it wouldn't be a big upgrade.

They need to upgrade a position they are getting nothing from not a position they are already getting production. A third baseman would be ideal and if it wasn't Chase Utley maybe second base. Everywhere else already has a player well entrenched and not going to be moved.

Trading for Braun would be a waste of resources and I do not believe the Dodgers want to add that kind of money. Their new GM is much smarter. Only way it would work is if it were a three team deal and someone was taking Yasiel Puig away from the Dodgers. That is very far fetched though.

Braun & Santana for Pederson + pitching

Pederson is following that Segura trajectory of one good few months followed by not much. For example, in his last 365 days, he is hitting .195.

Id take him of course but depending on the rest of the package and if money was included from our side, Id like to see more as a headliner in such a blockbuster.

Still doesn't change the fact they have Puig, Thompson, and Pederson(plus Either soon). There is nowhere to put Braun. Those three main guys aren't going anywhere. At least not yet. Braun may be better(when healthy), but it wouldn't be a big upgrade.

They need to upgrade a position they are getting nothing from not a position they are already getting production. A third baseman would be ideal and if it wasn't Chase Utley maybe second base. Everywhere else already has a player well entrenched and not going to be moved.

Trading for Braun would be a waste of resources and I do not believe the Dodgers want to add that kind of money. Their new GM is much smarter. Only way it would work is if it were a three team deal and someone was taking Yasiel Puig away from the Dodgers. That is very far fetched though.

I think you should take a look at Pederson's stats. The guy has been brutal since his good April/May of last year. He is helpless against leftys.

Puig is turning into a league joke on and off the field. Thompson has been fantastic but thats about it for their OF.

I have no idea if the Dodgers and Brewers will make such a trade as you are right, it would get complex, but they do need a bat like Braun's or they will look at another year of wasting Kershaw.

I'd be happy to take back Pederson to see if he matures into his mid 20's.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Id take him too, but the reality is he isn't a very good player at this point. For a red hot Braun, Id want a lot more.

Id take him too, but the reality is he isn't a very good player at this point. For a red hot Braun, Id want a lot more.

Hence why I said Braun/Santana for Pederson + pitching

Maybe Santana doesn't have to be included even.

Why are we giving up two OF's in this trade? Especially, a young corner OF like Santana who still has some good upside in my opinion? Aren't those the type of guys we're looking to add, and not get rid of? I'd personally rather package Braun and a reliever for De Leon/Holmes, Montas and maybe 1-2 young teenagers with upside.

After reading more on Cody Belinger, I would love him to be in on a deal. Athletic kid that can play 1B and some OF that has a lot of pop.

Thompson somehow has a .900OPS for a guy who OPS'd .744 his last 1000+PAs in the minors. My apologies, but there's your definition of Overachievement. He has the numbers for a 4th OF, but not someone I'd entrust my everyday Starting OF job to for full seasons.

I put down Yasiel Puig as a Money offset to rid his contract while adding Braun's. Cot's has him listed as less of a 2016-18 cost than BRef. but it comes with this caveat: Puig may opt in to Arb after 3 seasons of ML time. Which he should have accrued just recently. With his current performance, I don't know if he'd do that opt and if I'm the Brewers, and he did w/o returning value the rest of this season, wouldn't it mean they would be out on the remaining salary and can just not make him an offer? Granting Puig FA? According to Cot's Puig is owed 5.5/6.5/and 7.5mil on his contract. This vs BRef's: 7.214/8.214/and 9.214.

I think since he signed 7years with 12mil signing bonus that would fit the difference between BRef and Cot's.

Now does LA see dumping Puig as just that? Or, are they valuing Puig as a ML talent who deserves Minor League prospects in return on a trade? One of the story's immediately on a Puig Search is that Kershaw reportedly wants Puig traded-via Andy Van Slyke....Scott Van Slyke's father hint hint.

How much do you take from LA in prospect return with Puig? Holmes fits the youth trade acquires over De Leon/Montas. So I'd assume he becomes the headliner. How many more after Holmes do you add?

Thompson somehow has a .900OPS for a guy who OPS'd .744 his last 1000+PAs in the minors. My apologies, but there's your definition of Overachievement. He has the numbers for a 4th OF, but not someone I'd entrust my everyday Starting OF job to for full seasons.

I put down Yasiel Puig as a Money offset to rid his contract while adding Braun's. Cot's has him listed as less of a 2016-18 cost than BRef. but it comes with this caveat: Puig may opt in to Arb after 3 seasons of ML time. Which he should have accrued just recently. With his current performance, I don't know if he'd do that opt and if I'm the Brewers, and he did w/o returning value the rest of this season, wouldn't it mean they would be out on the remaining salary and can just not make him an offer? Granting Puig FA? According to Cot's Puig is owed 5.5/6.5/and 7.5mil on his contract. This vs BRef's: 7.214/8.214/and 9.214.

I think since he signed 7years with 12mil signing bonus that would fit the difference between BRef and Cot's.

Now does LA see dumping Puig as just that? Or, are they valuing Puig as a ML talent who deserves Minor League prospects in return on a trade? One of the story's immediately on a Puig Search is that Kershaw reportedly wants Puig traded-via Andy Van Slyke....Scott Van Slyke's father hint hint.

How much do you take from LA in prospect return with Puig? Holmes fits the youth trade acquires over De Leon/Montas. So I'd assume he becomes the headliner. How many more after Holmes do you add?

I can see the Brewers adding Puig as a salary offset in a Braun deal and possible flip candidate down the road. He wouldn't be a net positive in any trade Id ever make, and I'd assume the Brewers would feel the same way.

Either way, the Dodger's OF situation is a mess with a bunch of big names and very little actual production on a team than desperately needs offense.

I bet the Brewers would take Joc Pederson straight up for Ryan Braun. Pederson's floor is high and his ceiling is massive. Contact is a concern, but he has the power and ability to walk that makes up for it. At worst you have a solid CF and at best one of the top CF in the game. If he got his contact up enough to hit .250 or so he would be quite a weapon in CF. I would take that risk in a heartbeat. Though I am betting the Dodgers aren't so short sighted to bail out on Joc Pederson already.

I bet the Brewers would take Joc Pederson straight up for Ryan Braun. Pederson's floor is high and his ceiling is massive. Contact is a concern, but he has the power and ability to walk that makes up for it. At worst you have a solid CF and at best one of the top CF in the game. If he got his contact up enough to hit .250 or so he would be quite a weapon in CF. I would take that risk in a heartbeat. Though I am betting the Dodgers aren't so short sighted to bail out on Joc Pederson already.

How much do you want to bet?

Do you have Stearns' number? And does he have to retire before he will tell us what he would have done?

Only downside to taking Joc straight up is the fact you would be putting all of your eggs in one basket. Not the most common occurrence in trades. So we might have to call it Braun for Joc + Lottery Tickets.

I can't imagine Friedman doesn't see this, but Joc is a good fit given that he'd be a much better hitter in Miller Park. He can't get the ball out of Chavez Revine enough to be a good hitter there. He'd instantly turn into a high .700s/low .800s OPS guy and can be platooned.

That said, I'm not sure he'd be what I'm looking for. Not a bad return, though.

I know we aren't professional athletes and we can only speculate, but if I am Braun, I am worried about my legacy more than being a hired gun. Sure, I would want to win a World Series before I retire, but I would rather be the next Robin Yount, albeit a tainted one due to the PED issue, and be a career Brewer.

This has nothing to do with me being a fan of the Brewers, rather it has everything to do with me wanting to be a lifer in one uniform. If I were a Red or Pirate or Rockie I would love to spend my entire career there. Sure Prince has $200+ million, but he could have been an all-time great in Milwaukee rather than just another guy at 32. Same with any of these guys who leave small markets for big dollars.

Just my non-professional athlete opinion on the subject.

No offense, as everyone has an opinion and yours is warranted...but you've only got 15 years to play if you're Braun. Other guys may only have 1, 2, 5, a shorter window of years to play. If you're not going to win in Milwaukee, why not go and win somewhere else? As an athlete, that's what I'd want. I can always come back to Milwaukee and sign autographs later.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/16002469/looking-future-milwaukee-brewers-move-ryan-braun-jonathan-lucroy

I find this article especially interesting when Braun says the following:

For me, it would be more meaningful to help get us back to the place where we want to be as an organization and win again here than it would anywhere else. I feel like we're heading in a direction where we have a wave of impact players coming, so it would be a lot of fun for me to be a part of that. I would be the guy they would come to for help with the transition. I enjoy that mentor aspect. But we'll see what the future holds.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

I find this article especially interesting when Braun says the following:

For me, it would be more meaningful to help get us back to the place where we want to be as an organization and win again here than it would anywhere else. I feel like we're heading in a direction where we have a wave of impact players coming, so it would be a lot of fun for me to be a part of that. I would be the guy they would come to for help with the transition. I enjoy that mentor aspect. But we'll see what the future holds.

I saw this as well. Whether he means it or not, he's saying all the right things. If he really wants to be part of the future, I assume he's let the team know that.

I don't think we're going to get anywhere close to fair value for Ryan (due to all the reasons we have talked about - age, salary, injuries, PED history, etc.). We don't have any bat that approaches his level in the majors or minors. What he'll be like in 2-3 years, I don't know, but I could see the club hanging on to him without a decent return. We don't have a lot of money on the books, so we could afford someone like him for a few years.

The big thing about trading Braun is trying to predict his future production vs what we could be expected to field in his place. The money really doesn't come into it. Can we get someone close to what his bat will be in 2-3 years or get someone at another position to take up the slack? I don't think we could replace the production he is putting up right now.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

The big thing about trading Braun is trying to predict his future production vs what we could be expected to field in his place. The money really doesn't come into it. Can we get someone close to what his bat will be in 2-3 years or get someone at another position to take up the slack? I don't think we could replace the production he is putting up right now.

Why would that matter if this team is going to be mediocre even with his bat for the next 2-3 years?

Do you have Stearns' number? And does he have to retire before he will tell us what he would have done?

Only downside to taking Joc straight up is the fact you would be putting all of your eggs in one basket. Not the most common occurrence in trades. So we might have to call it Braun for Joc + Lottery Tickets.

No I don't, but I assume neither do you. I would never trade Braun--a top 10 OF--for that little. We have very different views...that's abundantly clear. I view us as being surprisingly competitive now, you have said not for at least 3 years. You think a talented CF prospect is worth an affordable bona-fide MLB superstar with an affordable contract, I think that's disappointing as that's what JJ Hardy netted us. My Braun asking price is the Gomez-to-Astros package + another stud prospect. If they want any cash, then add another prospect.

I see Braun as our starting LF on our next playoff team, out-performing his salary, unless someone blows away our GM with a Herschel Walker trade.

You think a talented CF prospect is worth an affordable bona-fide MLB superstar with an affordable contract, I think that's disappointing as that's what JJ Hardy netted us.

Joc Pederson is miles better than Carlos Gomez was when we got him. Miles.

Archived