Brewer Fanatic

Braun trade value now

This year, Braun can be traded to the Diamondbacks, Angels, Dodgers, Marlins, Padres, and Giants.

The teams on last year's list included the Angels, Dodgers, Marlins, Rays and Nationals. One team appears to be missing from that list.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

• Replies 732
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No idea what his willingness would be. I would guess he'd be open to going to a contender but that's a total guess. He might prefer to stay out of the spotlight of a big market at this point in his career, I really don't know.

He may ask for his 2021 team option to be increased or converted to a player option, not sure what the possibilities are on that.

To me, we can't trade Braun for 1 or 2 guys. Braun is part of the present and future. If a team wants him, the bidding starts with what we got for Gomez, and should go much higher. I have no problem sending along some money if it adds a 5th or 6th stud prospect. But I also like the idea of an all-star LF that doesn't need development time for when our team is ready to contend again. Braun is close to a sure-thing. Prospects are not.

I know we aren't professional athletes and we can only speculate, but if I am Braun, I am worried about my legacy more than being a hired gun. Sure, I would want to win a World Series before I retire, but I would rather be the next Robin Yount, albeit a tainted one due to the PED issue, and be a career Brewer.

This has nothing to do with me being a fan of the Brewers, rather it has everything to do with me wanting to be a lifer in one uniform. If I were a Red or Pirate or Rockie I would love to spend my entire career there. Sure Prince has $200+ million, but he could have been an all-time great in Milwaukee rather than just another guy at 32. Same with any of these guys who leave small markets for big dollars.

Just my non-professional athlete opinion on the subject.

Braun is not part of the future winning Brewer team.

It makes perfect sense to trade him now as his on the field value is sky high and his contract isn't that bad.

I would be inclined to not pay much of the contract nor accept a bad contract back however if the Brewers traded Braun and did so, the package would be anywhere from good to franchise changing depending on the amount they would take on.

For example, taken to the extreme, if the Brewers were for some reason willing to take on all of the contract, (and I'm not saying they should), I don't think it's unreasonable that they could get darn near any minor leaguer they want.

One target I'd love to have if it could be creative would be Matt Moore. We obviously wouldn't trade with the Rays, as they have no interest in Braun, but perhaps our trade target could meet the needs of the Rays, allowing us to acquire Moore. Given past success and affordable contract with team control (through as long as 2019), I'd love to acquire him. If we're not contending in 2018, he could be the top lefty on the market

I know we aren't professional athletes and we can only speculate, but if I am Braun, I am worried about my legacy more than being a hired gun. Sure, I would want to win a World Series before I retire, but I would rather be the next Robin Yount, albeit a tainted one due to the PED issue, and be a career Brewer.

This has nothing to do with me being a fan of the Brewers, rather it has everything to do with me wanting to be a lifer in one uniform. If I were a Red or Pirate or Rockie I would love to spend my entire career there. Sure Prince has $200+ million, but he could have been an all-time great in Milwaukee rather than just another guy at 32. Same with any of these guys who leave small markets for big dollars.

No offense, as everyone has an opinion and yours is warranted...but you've only got 15 years to play if you're Braun. Other guys may only have 1, 2, 5, a shorter window of years to play. If you're not going to win in Milwaukee, why not go and win somewhere else? As an athlete, that's what I'd want. I can always come back to Milwaukee and sign autographs later.

One target I'd love to have if it could be creative would be Matt Moore. We obviously wouldn't trade with the Rays, as they have no interest in Braun, but perhaps our trade target could meet the needs of the Rays, allowing us to acquire Moore. Given past success and affordable contract with team control (through as long as 2019), I'd love to acquire him. If we're not contending in 2018, he could be the top lefty on the market

I'm a bit worried about Matt Moore. Maybe he's slowly coming around after the 2014 Tommy John, but his numbers scare me.

He came into the league throwing 94-95 and a slider. He's now throwing 92-93 and he ditched the slider. Not someone I'm willing to take a risk on to only flip again in 2 years, because I doubt he's part of our contention window.

No offense, as everyone has an opinion and yours is warranted...but you've only got 15 years to play if you're Braun. Other guys may only have 1, 2, 5, a shorter window of years to play. If you're not going to win in Milwaukee, why not go and win somewhere else? As an athlete, that's what I'd want. I can always come back to Milwaukee and sign autographs later.

None taken...I think it's just a difference of opinion on the matter.

I think my position really can be summed up by the reverence the Brewers organization and fans show towards Robin Yount versus what is shown towards Paul Molitor. Regardless of the reasons why he left, Molitor is somewhat shunned by the organization for lack of a better word.

While Molitor is certainly viewed as a great Brewer, he will forever pale in comparison to Yount in the minds of the Brewers. No statue outside of Miller Park. Limited involvement in the organization post-retirement and pre-managerial stint in Minnesota. Sure he won two World Series in Toronto, but I would much prefer to be Yount in Milwaukee than Molitor in Milwaukee, Toronto or Minnesota.

None taken...I think it's just a difference of opinion on the matter.

I think my position really can be summed up by the reverence the Brewers organization and fans show towards Robin Yount versus what is shown towards Paul Molitor. Regardless of the reasons why he left, Molitor is somewhat shunned by the organization for lack of a better word.

While Molitor is certainly viewed as a great Brewer, he will forever pale in comparison to Yount in the minds of the Brewers. No statue outside of Miller Park. Limited involvement in the organization post-retirement and pre-managerial stint in Minnesota. Sure he won two World Series in Toronto, but I would much prefer to be Yount in Milwaukee than Molitor in Milwaukee, Toronto or Minnesota.

Braun might also want to stick in Milwaukee because the local media and majority of fans have moved passed his PED debacle. Going to a new city might re-open that whole can of worms especially if he fails to perform or stay healthy.

Honestly who cares if Braun wants to stay, he'll always be remembered for his PED use.. Trade him for the best prospect

Braun would and that was my point. He could stay here and lose and be generally comfortable or waive his no trade to go somewhere else and maybe win and also maybe face scrutiny for something that happened 5 or more years ago.

I am guessing Ryan Braun doesn't care about his legacy or being a Brewer for life at this point. If he did he probably wouldn't have cheated or made himself look like a fool. That pretty much sealed his legacy as a baseball player. I am betting Braun retires and rides off into the sunset to his Malibu home. Then he will sip on some fine wine watching the waves crash in. I bet that's how the Brewers would want it too. The Brewers sure don't like marketing him now...I doubt that will increase when he isn't on the team anymore.

Nothing wrong with that...probably the best idea for both sides to quietly move on when he retires. If I was Braun that is what I would do.

MrTPlush, as usual we disagree. What human being doesn't care about their legacy? Ryan Braun has always come across as a genuine individual. He's done one thing wrong in his entire career. Yo and KRod did far worse, and yet Braun is the pariah? Braun has been a hard worker. I think the Brewers love having Braun's work ethic, production, and desire to win in their lineup. I've been told he's not a vocal leader--never has been--but that doesn't mean he doesn't care. He's had a great career. His best seasons have been after the 1 failed test.

MrTPlush, as usual we disagree. What human being doesn't care about their legacy? Ryan Braun has always come across as a genuine individual. He's done one thing wrong in his entire career. Yo and KRod did far worse, and yet Braun is the pariah? Braun has been a hard worker. I think the Brewers love having Braun's work ethic, production, and desire to win in their lineup. I've been told he's not a vocal leader--never has been--but that doesn't mean he doesn't care. He's had a great career. His best seasons have been after the 1 failed test.

Agreed. People like to pretend they live in a bubble and that they would never make a mistake. Braun obviously shouldn't have used what he used and he should've came clean when he was caught.

That's hindsight. All you see from Braun now is a guy that went out and apologized to fans in multiple ways including calling some, made amends with the man who was thrown under the bus in the fiasco, and has continued to do wonderful community work. I call BS that the Brewers don't want to use him as a face of their franchise. He's everywhere again and he should be. On top of that you have a player who works his butt off to be one of the best players on the planet. Yesterday even though they were down 10-3 he hit a two bouncer to the SS and Braun hustled his butt off down the line and made it close. This while a plate appearance before ripping one down the line and hustling into second while grimacing. Proud to call him a Brewer and if the right deal isn't there I'm glad he'll continue to be one. And when it's all done, his statue should be right out in front of that stadium and welcomed to be around this team as much as he possible can. That's what a great organization does.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Maybe he does maybe he doesn't. Either way I don't think being a Brewer for life is a huge deal. If the Brewers don't want him and want to trade him why would you want to stay? Part of that great legacy would be giving the organization the shaft and blocking a trade to stay.

That being said I don't think Braun is a bad guy, but baseball doesn't care or its fans. What he did tarnished him forever...right or wrong. His ego got the best of him back then and it costed him his good image. He wasn't the first and won't be the last famous person/athlete to get caught up in himself.

Keeping this on topic I don't think Braun would block a trade to stay with the Brewers. If they don't want him I think he would accept that and move on. At most for that option year picked up.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Braun is currently the 5th ranked OFer in All Star voting.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Agreed. People like to pretend they live in a bubble and that they would never make a mistake. Braun obviously shouldn't have used what he used and he should've came clean when he was caught.

That's hindsight. All you see from Braun now is a guy that went out and apologized to fans in multiple ways including calling some, made amends with the man who was thrown under the bus in the fiasco, and has continued to do wonderful community work. I call BS that the Brewers don't want to use him as a face of their franchise. He's everywhere again and he should be. On top of that you have a player who works his butt off to be one of the best players on the planet. Yesterday even though they were down 10-3 he hit a two bouncer to the SS and Braun hustled his butt off down the line and made it close. This while a plate appearance before ripping one down the line and hustling into second while grimacing. Proud to call him a Brewer and if the right deal isn't there I'm glad he'll continue to be one. And when it's all done, his statue should be right out in front of that stadium and welcomed to be around this team as much as he possible can. That's what a great organization does.

*clap*clap*clap*

I totally 100% agree with this statement.

He is human, made a mistake, and has done everything he could to make amends.

A lot of people love Molitor even though he had a drug problem, was injured a lot, and left. Braun is still the man in Milwaukee, and I really hope he ends his career here, as it should be. For me, it wil be really sad if they move him, even for a huge haul, it is going to pain me...

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Braun may deal with some backlash on his new team's fans right up until the first time he drives in a run with two outs.

Fans are mostly stupid anyways.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Braun may deal with some backlash on his new team's fans right up until the first time he drives in a run with two outs.

Yah I remember a lot of hate from Yankees fans for A-Rod after that last suspension and he came back to open arms real fast. I am guessing it would be the same with Braun.

So you want a guy who's got a Negative WAR 63IP last year and 57.2IP thus far this year?

This is the opposite in wanting Him and then someone saying Nelson is at best a #3. His Fip has been above 3.9 every year he's started. Has a 4/bb/9 rate. Sure some more Ks and less walks thus far but the Hits are still 10+. I don't think he's going to be anything better than a poor man's 3. Zach Davies type production but Davies' Floor is higher than Moore's.

Blake Swihart just bothers me. I feel like from Boston's End and fans, they are ready to move on but with saying he's still the Catcher ceiling we were all excited in seeing in 2015. What does he bring to the table? Not Power, won't be elite Avg, so you figure this is a catcher who maybe has .700OPS avg and .800 on his 1 good HR year. It's just poor to me to overpay for him. HE's the Throw In to me in a deal. Not a headliner or 2nd best in a deal. 3rd at best. Because I expect he won't ever reach the expectations that are higher than what's he's produced in the Minors.

Here's Braun. I miss games. Come back 3hits total, 2games and 1 RBI in each. He just produces if he's playing. You will have a hard time showing me a Batter that a team can trade for who's giving the elite Bat ability Braun is bringing right now.

Here's Braun. I miss games. Come back 3hits total, 2games and 1 RBI in each. He just produces if he's playing. You will have a hard time showing me a Batter that a team can trade for who's giving the elite Bat ability Braun is bringing right now.

Agreed. And I apologize in advance, as this has become a circular debate, so I'm repeating myself. If you're a GM, do you give up a couple top prospects who may not be able to play during the pennant run and/or playoffs? Or accept the fact he's a ticking time bomb ready to miss a huge stretch of games at any given moment?

It's a very real concern, and any team will have a hard time giving up a couple top prospects and committing to big salary for multiple years with his injury risk. And I do agree his salary is fair, and not a big deal for the big market teams. But it's still a big contract if he's not playing.

Let me be clear. This doesn't mean a deal CAN'T get done. GMs and Owners are people, and they make emotional decisions in the heat of a pennant chase. And anyone would love to have Braun in their line-up. All I'm saying is his injuries are a real issue.

As for his legacy, yes, of course he cares. But he may feel winning a WS or two would be a better legacy than playing his entire career in Milwaukee. Also, he will never be viewed as a Yount by many fans even if he does. Besides the PED thing, he just doesn't come off as a down to earth guy. He may be the nicest guy in the world, I don't know, but perception is reality for fans.

Agreed. And I apologize in advance, as this has become a circular debate, so I'm repeating myself. If you're a GM, do you give up a couple top prospects who may not be able to play during the pennant run and/or playoffs? Or accept the fact he's a ticking time bomb ready to miss a huge stretch of games at any given moment?

It's a very real concern, and any team will have a hard time giving up a couple top prospects and committing to big salary for multiple years with his injury risk. And I do agree his salary is fair, and not a big deal for the big market teams. But it's still a big contract if he's not playing.

Let me be clear. This doesn't mean a deal CAN'T get done. GMs and Owners are people, and they make emotional decisions in the heat of a pennant chase. And anyone would love to have Braun in their line-up. All I'm saying is his injuries are a real issue.

As for his legacy, yes, of course he cares. But he may feel winning a WS or two would be a better legacy than playing his entire career in Milwaukee. Also, he will never be viewed as a Yount by many fans even if he does. Besides the PED thing, he just doesn't come off as a down to earth guy. He may be the nicest guy in the world, I don't know, but perception is reality for fans.

He will never be Yount and he almost certainly wont be a Brewer when they develop a WS team.

If he can go to a contender, that is his best bet to change the career narrative.

PEDS are very much still a part of the game, as we just saw with Byrd.

So you want a guy who's got a Negative WAR 63IP last year and 57.2IP thus far this year?

Yes. I love acquiring affordable young hard-throwing lefties that were considered future aces until experiencing elbow problems. His elbow issues are behind him. He should get better as the year goes on. He should be on path to dominate next year. I don't think he'd be with us in 2020 on a new contract, but I could see us swapping him for a boatload of talent in 2018 or 19. He'd be just a piece...Braun currently would need several other prospects

Archived