Brewer Fanatic

Braun trade value now

These nagging injuries will hurt his trade value. He had back surgery with lots of time to recover, and now it's giving him problems again. Add that to the thumb, core, wrists, who knows. I just have to believe teams would be terrified they trade for this guy and he can't go when they need him most down the stretch and/or in the playoffs.

• Replies 732
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yah the cripple Braun is starting to reappear after nice health to start the year. I don't see the nagging injuries stopping and I don't see anyone trading for him.

Though desperation in July can make teams do dumb things.

Yah the cripple Braun is starting to reappear after nice health to start the year. I don't see the nagging injuries stopping and I don't see anyone trading for him.

I think all it means is that Milwaukee will have to pick up more salary if they deal him. If he's playing well in July, teams will ask. If he's on the DL, they won't.

I think all it means is that Milwaukee will have to pick up more salary if they deal him. If he's playing well in July, teams will ask. If he's on the DL, they won't.

It gets to a point where no one will even have high interest in him. Health issues are never great for trade value and I can't imagine what a Braun physical would look like. There is only so much money the Brewers are going to pick up and once that limit is reached the return in prospects will decrease.

.364 .429 .576 1.004 Says Hello.

The Dodgers would appear very welcome to that bat in their lineup. Their #3 hitter has often been Justin Turner with his .636OPS and lately Corey Seager who's in his sophomore year at SS and at least bringing an .800+OPS in that spot. But he was #2 and Turner now resides there. Meanwhile a 37yr old Chase Utley is magically maintaining an .800+ OPS in the leadoff to date.

That is what the Dodgers are giving Adrian Gonzalez to work with in front of his bat. AGon has batted 3rd but generally that put Turner as cleanup! Yikes.

As a team they are just below ML average for runs scored and possess a .696OPS as a team. .728 ML avg.

Current LF is the hott bat of Trayce Thompson who's at .898OPS for a career .747OPS minors record. In a Pitchers ballpark, he's obviously outperforming expectations and with just 77Games to his belt, teams will make adjustments here shortly and knock him back down a peg or two.

Carl Crawford is regrettably still on the team at 21.7mil cost and batting paltry .518OPS in what has been a trend down in lower .700s.

Last is Enrique Hernandez. a 2b minors guy generally turned to OF at .598OPS with a .722 career Minors OPS. Probably performing to expectations.

You also have Yasiel Puig a RF at .648OPS and batted 7th/8th in 8 of last 10games a move down in the order since he's continuing a trend being worse than the season before.

He'll make roughly 2/17.5mil after this season.

The Dodgers have arms. Their top 4 and 7 of 10 prospects are Pitchers. Boasting the best SP in Baseball with Best SP prospect in baseball, one would believe they could expend a few prospects for a desperately needed #3 batter.

You say give them some payroll to increase the return? well, how about taking Puig in the deal. There's your 17.5mil+remainder this season. Obviously, no Urias for a return. But any core of their prospects behind him would be certainly enough to get back the value for Braun. There are lots to pick from. Holmes, Verdugo, and Buehler would be a talented get. Maybe that's too much to ask but what if you threw in Jeffress and got Cody Bellinger in return? Sorta like the Gomez kick in Fiers trade?

No trade clause isn't an issue with the Dodgers not being on his list.

LA is 1-3 in the Playoffs the last 3years and missing the playoffs the previous 3. Payroll went from 103/95mil to over 200mil. 272 last year and 223 currently this year.

You're looking at 900+million for 4 seasons of what may be 1 Playoff series win. There has to be some desperation to win a Playoff series this season besides just making the playoffs. (Currently 2GB of wild card)

Well?

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

When .364 .429 .576 1.004 says hello from the bench or disabled list it doesn't do anything for a team.

It's not about Ryan's production - it's about his health - as well as the money that he makes.

Braun makes a lot of money (roughly $15M a year, plus $4M deferred each year) - not outrageous amounts - but not insignificant. Some teams can take that, some can't.

But as noted - back surgery, thumb, core and wrist issues. Teams will be wary of a guy they can't count on to be in their lineup. Especially a guy who does cost a lot of money.

Doesn't mean a deal with Braun can't be worked out - it's just going to be difficult considering the circumstances.

Right. But I do agree the Dodgers would be that team to take a chance, if anyone does. Really depends on the next couple months.

Right the Dodgers would be willing to take on Braun's contract. They won't give up anything for him unless say the Brewers take on the remains of Carl Crawford.

The Dodgers have something like 85million of their salary to players Not on their team. You think they'll balk at Brauns puny 15million on aplayer who's .850+OPS when taking the field? they're over 40million below the payroll of last season. They've doled out the cash 4th season running to produce World Champions. Braun is an asset they can acquire early as Milwaukee just heading in to season are sellers. Waiting for another possible Elite OF #3 bat could take til deadline.

Puigs failure as a hitter is dragging this team down. As what was a #2-4 batter, is sitting 7/8. Moving every poor hitter that was below him, up 1 in batting order.

Since Freidman has taken over the Dodgers they are no longer the "throw a couple hundred million at it and see if it works organization." He's certainly going to weight the cost in dollars and prospects versus the production and potential lack of health of Braun and most likely not make an offer the Brewers should take.

Dodgers will have ~69mil coming of the books after this season and another 50mil on Hendrick/Ethier/Crawford the season after that.

Their OF prospects are listed ETA of 2018 and later.

Braun would fit the lineup and OF deficiency while hardly handicapping the Dodgers in their future plans.

When .364 .429 .576 1.004 says hello from the bench or disabled list it doesn't do anything for a team.

It's not about Ryan's production - it's about his health - as well as the money that he makes.

Braun makes a lot of money (roughly $15M a year, plus $4M deferred each year) - not outrageous amounts - but not insignificant. Some teams can take that, some can't.

But as noted - back surgery, thumb, core and wrist issues. Teams will be wary of a guy they can't count on to be in their lineup. Especially a guy who does cost a lot of money.

Doesn't mean a deal with Braun can't be worked out - it's just going to be difficult considering the circumstances.

Let's say we take on the deferred $4M and let the other team take the $15M each year. If you get Braun 75% of the time at 1000 OPS and fill in with Player X at 700 OPS 25%, you still get a LF hitting 925 OPS for $17-18M. Most teams would take that.

Will he stay at 1000 OPS for his contract? Not a chance. But if he is hot this year and fills a hole that might mean a WS bid, people do strange things...

I wanted to punch my car-radio tonight when I heard Jim Powell and Don Sutton pondering who would take on Ryan Braun with his massive contract and his baggage. I know Jim Powell gets on his high pedestal, but I thought that was foolish of him. As we've stated, Braun is a bargain

Will he stay at 1000 OPS for his contract? Not a chance. But if he is hot this year and fills a hole that might mean a WS bid, people do strange things...

Yes, I agree emotional decisions are made at the trade deadline. Dodgers or Mariners (my dark horse candidate) could live with 75% of Braun.

But that all depends on what happens between now and August. If he misses a ton of games between now and then, it will be tough to get a good offer. Especially if he's missing games while the negotiation is going on.

I think chances of trading him are low. But if he is healthy and really raking during the trade deadline window, would not shock me if someone steps up with a good offer.

With all of this speculation around the Dodgers possibly being a good landing spot for Braun, is there any scenario in which they'd be willing to give up Jose De Leon in the trade? Maybe we can even throw in one of our bullpen arms in the deal to sweeten it for the Dodgers. How about this deal:

Dodgers get: Braun and Jeffress

Brewers get: Jose De Leon, Trayce Thompson and Cody Bellinger

Is that too much to expect for a Braun/Jeffress package - or should we expect even more than that? Would we have to take back someone like Crawford/Ethier to eat some of the salary owed to Braun in order to get more prospects in return?

The other team that could have some interest in Braun is the Giants. Pagan is hurt now and I think this is the last year on his deal anyway. Could we get a package of either Beede/Bickford and Aramis Garcia in return for Braun?

With all of this speculation around the Dodgers possibly being a good landing spot for Braun, is there any scenario in which they'd be willing to give up Jose De Leon in the trade? Maybe we can even throw in one of our bullpen arms in the deal to sweeten it for the Dodgers. How about this deal:

Dodgers get: Braun and Jeffress

Brewers get: Jose De Leon, Trayce Thompson and Cody Bellinger

Is that too much to expect for a Braun/Jeffress package - or should we expect even more than that? Would we have to take back someone like Crawford/Ethier to eat some of the salary owed to Braun in order to get more prospects in return?

The other team that could have some interest in Braun is the Giants. Pagan is hurt now and I think this is the last year on his deal anyway. Could we get a package of either Beede/Bickford and Aramis Garcia in return for Braun?

I might get hate for this, but that's not even close to enough to get a deal done. If this was an offer for Braun last year he would've be gone quicker than your head could spin, but knowing what we know now I'm gonna need more. Jeffress has proven to be a more than serviceable as a closer with legit stuff, and no longer just a throw in candidate.

Jose De Leon would be the real exciting prize of this deal and I feel like he can be a solid 2/3 in the big leagues. Cody Bellinger is an interesting piece as well and I'm interested to see if his power continues onto the next level. Trayce doesn't real interest me outside of his athleticism he'd be a risky piece IMO.

I see the Giants as a fit for Braun, but I don't think they can make a very competitive offer.

sorry, but to me Braun should have more trade value than LuCroy at this point, even without picking up some of his salary in a trade package - his bat will be a plus at a corner OF spot, 1B, or DH for several more years at less than market value. Lucroy's contract is cheaper now, but he'll be looking for a similar contract in $/year that Braun currently has. Right now Luc's bat is a plus for a catcher, but as he ages his offense becomes less valued if he has to switch positions to 1B or DH. Braun actually has more cost certainty and less risk in terms of a significant production dropoff than Luc, IMO.

sorry, but to me Braun should have more trade value than LuCroy at this point, even without picking up some of his salary in a trade package - his bat will be a plus at a corner OF spot, 1B, or DH for several more years at less than market value. Lucroy's contract is cheaper now, but he'll be looking for a similar contract in $/year that Braun currently has. Right now Luc's bat is a plus for a catcher, but as he ages his offense becomes less valued if he has to switch positions to 1B or DH. Braun actually has more cost certainty and less risk in terms of a significant production dropoff than Luc, IMO.

But unfortunately it is what all the GMs think and Braun's value isn't even in the same universe as Lucroy's to them(according to many rumors).

But unfortunately it is what all the GMs think and Braun's value isn't even in the same universe as Lucroy's to them(according to many rumors).

These so-called "rumors" are all coming from media in places where Braun fits a need for that particular team. Writers/bloggers see him doing well, know the Brewers are in rebuilding mode and a small market franchise and just assume they will give him away for little return and might even pay some of his remaining contract. Problem is they miss key points. They don't factor in that relative to his production, Braun is not a burden to a Brewer team that's already cut it's payroll way down and that he's under control long enough to be of value when the team is again competitive. Brewers would be fools to deal him just to get out from under a reasonable contract, because there's no way they'd get anything in return of the impact that Braun provides on the field. He's going nowhere.

As for Luc, where is this notion coming from that he's old? Lets assume his next contract is for 4 years with an option beginning in 2018. His first year will be his age 31-32 season. His last guaranteed year will be his age 34-35 season. My gosh, Damian Miller was 35 when the Brewers signed him to a 3 year deal a decade or so ago. Miller's production didn't drop noticeably until his age 37 season. That's he's not 28 at the start of his next deal, and there is some risk of a drop in production will be factored into his deal certainly, but he'll get a nice contract and should.

I wanted to punch my car-radio tonight when I heard Jim Powell and Don Sutton pondering who would take on Ryan Braun with his massive contract and his baggage. I know Jim Powell gets on his high pedestal, but I thought that was foolish of him. As we've stated, Braun is a bargain

Powell had a pretty epic anti-Braun rant after he was busted. Doesn't surprise me he still holds a grudge.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Regarding the Dodgers, rather than Bellinger, I'd prefer some of their toolsy Cuban prospects., who are younger and not as highly ranked yet. Their names are not on the tip of my tongue but I've read about them before. Electric arms and toolsy players.

Verified Member
Braun does not have a massive contract. He's a former MVP who looks healthy and is back to playing like an MVP. Even at 32, does anyone think that if he were a free agent after this season (and assuming he ends the season well) he wouldn't get at least 5/$100?

Archived