Brewer Fanatic

Link Report for Sunday 4/24

Mass Haas

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Sunday's Daily Menu:

All times are Central

Colorado Springs: RHP Ariel Pena at Omaha (Royals), 2:30 PM pre-game, 2:05 gametime

Free Live Audio Link

Dan Karcher, the longtime play-by-play voice of the Sky Sox is on Twitter @SkySoxKarch; joining him this season is Dan Acheson (@Dan_Acheson)

MiLB.TV -- for subscribers; all Colorado Springs games, home and away, will be available to watch via MiLB.TV's $49.99 season-long package ($12.99 to pay for a single month). The audio feed is from the home team. The video of each game is archived online, which is a nice feature. All MiLB.TV details available at the link.

NOTE: Notice that on MiLB.TV's page, you can click on "Filter", then "Milwaukee Brewers", and you'll see just the Crew's organizational TV lineup.

Biloxi: LHP Josh Hader at Mississippi (Braves), 12:40 PM pre-game, 1:00 gametime

Free Live Audio Link

Chris Harris is the play-by-play voice of the Shuckers. Follow Chris on Twitter @CHarris731. We'll be linking to his fantastic "Shuck Dynasty" blog. Thaddeus Krzus (@Shucks1stIntern) joins Chris often. All games, home and away, are scheduled to be radio broadcast.

MiLB.TV - Eight of the ten Southern League teams telecast their home games, and Biloxi is among them.

Brevard County: LHP Kodi Medeiros at Clearwater (Phillies), 12:00 PM gametime

Free Live Audio Link (Clearwater feed)

Unfortunately, the Manatees have dropped their broadcast coverage for 2016.

No Florida State League games are available via MiLB.TV. Ten of the 12 Florida State League teams provide audio (some only for home games), we'll do our best to let you know when an opponent's audio is going to be available.

Wisconsin: RHP Jordan Yamamoto at Peoria (Cardinals), 1:40 PM pre-game, 2:00 gametime; expect RHP David Burkhalter to also pitch in a tandem role

Free Live Audio Link

Chris Mehring is back to do his customary fantastic work as the Voice of the Rattlers. Follow him on Twitter @CMehring; we'll link to Chris' infamous blog often -- Rattler Radio.

MiLB.TV - Eight of the 16 Midwest League teams telecast their home games, and Wisconsin, once again, is among them. We'll let you know when a road TV feed is available.

NOTE: Thirty-nine (!) of the Rattlers' 70 home games will be broadcast on local TV this season. Time Warner Cable SportsChannel (10) and WACY-TV My NEW32 (29) will split duties. We'll let you know when and who, and remember to refer to the Rattlers' full TV schedule (scroll to bottom of link) so you can coordinate your DVR activity.

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Look for these just prior to the respective game times --

Colorado Springs Media Notes - Linked on the Sky Sox official blog

Biloxi Media Notes - Linked on the Shuck Dynasty blog

Wisconsin Media Notes - Linked on the Rattler Radio blog

STANDINGS:

AAA - Pacific Coast League American Northern Division

AA - Southern League South Division

High-A - Florida State League North Division

A - Midwest League Western Division

Sortable individual stat pages:

Colorado Springs

Biloxi

Brevard County

Wisconsin

Weather.com:

Omaha, NE

Pearl, MS

Clearwater, FL

Peoria, IL

Kodi really bad again today. Starting to worry about Hader's inability to make it past 4-5 innings.... No matter how terrific those innings are. He needs to attack the zone more with his nasty stuff. Shocked when I noticed that I day was Arcias first double

Proud member since 2003 (geez ha I was 14 then)

FORMERLY BrewCrewWS2008 and YoungGeezy don't even remember other names used

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Jordan Yamamoto this year 17 IP 19K's 2BB
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Rattlers Go Extra Mile for Win In Peoria

Wisconsin scores four in 11th for a 5-1 win

By Chris Mehring / Wisconsin Timber Rattlers

Wisconsin Boxscore

What perfect time for an excellent extra inning win with the off day tomorrow. Though having used only 3 pitchers it's not like the Rattlers would have been short pitching going forward. As discussed in the game story Jordan Yamamoto and David Burkhalter were fantastic, both now have sub 2 ERAs on the young season.

As usual Chris covered the offensive highlights in the story but Mitch Ghelfi (2-5), Elvis Rubio (2-4), Jake Gatewood (2-5,2 2B), and Luis Aviles (2-5) all had nice games at the plate. Gatewood's 2 double day pushed his AVE up to .197 and Avlies is now hitting .353 (just 10 games).

Sthervin Matos was the only T-Rat to come up empty in today's game, which is unfortunate, he's hitting .056.

Wisconsin Recap

Winning makes everyone happy!

Wisconsin Top of the 11th

• Defensive switch from right field to first base for Orlando Olivera.
    Thomas Spitz remains in the game as the right fielder.
    Mitch Ghelfi singles on a fly ball to left fielder Vaughn Bryan.
    Max McDowell singles on a fly ball to right fielder Thomas Spitz. Mitch Ghelfi to 3rd.
    Pitching Change: Sasha Kuebel replaces Landon Beck.
    David Denson singles on a ground ball to right fielder Thomas Spitz. Mitch Ghelfi scores. Max McDowell to 2nd.
    Elvis Rubio out on a sacrifice bunt, pitcher Sasha Kuebel to first baseman Orlando Olivera. Max McDowell to 3rd. David Denson to 2nd.
    Offensive Substitution: Pinch-runner Monte Harrison replaces David Denson.
    Jake Gatewood doubles (4) on a ground ball to left fielder Vaughn Bryan. Max McDowell scores. Monte Harrison scores.
    Luis Aviles bunt grounds out to first baseman Orlando Olivera. Jake Gatewood to 3rd.
    Sthervin Matos reaches on a fielding error by second baseman Eliezer Alvarez. Jake Gatewood scores.
    Blake Allemand grounds into a force out, shortstop Edmundo Sosa to second baseman Eliezer Alvarez. Sthervin Matos out at 2nd.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Sixth-inning outburst leads to 4-2 win on Sunday

Tyrone Taylor records his third three-hit game in the win

Biloxi Shuckers

http://www.milb.com/assets/images/4/0/0/174289400/cuts/_BRP4964_eq3gsa7u_hcl5mpcz.jpg

Tyrone Taylor was 3-for-4 on Sunday afternoon (Benton Reed Photography)

Biloxi Boxscore

I used to say this about pitchers like Mark Rogers and I'll say it again about Josh Hader, a big part of the way of the I evaluate pitchers is based on efficiency. Unless we have the best bullpen in baseball I want starting pitchers who can regularly go 6+ innings. Otherwise we're leaving too many innings for the bullpen, who are usually lesser quality pitchers, not to mention the extended effect of the bullpen having to pitch too many innings all season. Hader is filthy, but he doesn't throw enough quality strikes, and while the Brewers will give him every chance to succeed, don't be surprised if these kind of performances continue if national publications start projecting him as a back of the bullpen piece. He did match up well against a favorite of mine from a previous draft in Sean Newcomb who's been struggling with control issues himself, though this was his worst outing of the season giving up 3 runs.

Biloxi used 5 pitchers to get through the game, Jaye Chapman once again closed it out though his perfection streak was snapped as mentioned in the story, his scoreless streak remains.

Other than Tyrone Taylor's exploits covered in the game story Javier Betancourt (2-4) added the other multi hit game. MH mentioned this in yesterday's LR but Betancourt has a very Joantgel Segovia type batting line with only one XBH thus far. If I was forced to pigeon hole him today I'd say his best bet is as a utility player, though his defense isn't super at SS, he seams to be more of a 2B.

Biloxi Recap

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Had the pleasure of attending the weekend series between Colorado Springs and Omaha. I'll give everyone my opinion on a couple things. First, several players missed a flight from Dallasr to Omaha, one of which was the starter for Saturday's game. While he did arrive before the game, he was inserted as a relief pitcher. I don't have a problem with it but when he got into trouble they left him in to get hung out. We were only 2 games out of first coming into this series. Doesn't make sense when we have 9 guys in the bullpen. I suppose the coaches really don't care about winning but making an example out of someone.

Second thing is...a couple guys look horrible at the plate look at some of the averages.

Third thing...I don't like calling out people but Broxton looks bad in the outfield. This is the kind of OF I have seen played in Wisconsin and Helena. Over the course of 2 days, he clearly misplayed 6 balls only one of which was called an error. Official scorer was padding the Stormchasers numbers for sure. I was wondering why he was not in Center field and it's because Reed plays it better. Side note: I really like the AB's that Reed takes...making the pitcher work. Back to Broxton...Ran in on several balls that were over his head. I will cut him a little slack because the wind was blowing 20 to 40 mph both days but the other outfielders were not having these problems. And yes, Broxton does have a better arm than Khris Davis.

If ya think Colorado Springs is a tough place to play, Omaha might come in 2nd when the wind is blowing.

It's unfortunate that the sky sox lost both games because they had the lead in both games and it left me scratching my head about some of the coaching decisions that were made.

I'm going to Des Moines over the weekend, so I'll give another report later.

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Final: Omaha 6, Colorado Springs 5, ten innings

First of all, dacbrewers, thanks for the on-hand observations!

Storm Chasers Walk Off To Defeat Sox 6-5

Homers from Broxton and Young Jr. not enough as Sky Sox fall in extra innings

By Aaron Cheris / Colorado Springs Sky Sox

Colorado Springs Box Score

First run allowed by Damien Magnifico in six appearances; Will Middlebrooks 0-for-4 with a walk as the DH in his return; Michael Reed, in CF (thank you), 0-for-3 but with two walks to extend his league-leading on-base streak; four Sky Sox with two hits apiece, including red-hot Hernan Perez; Garin Cecchini 0-for-5 at 3B, OPS down to .593...

Colorado Springs Game Log

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Final: Clearwater 5, Brevard County 2

3-15...

Clearwater completes sweep of Manatees with 5-2 win

Donald Rieber, Jr., Manatees Examiner

Brevard County Box Score

Every Manatee batter reached base except for LF Brandon Diaz; only 48 strikes in 85 pitches for LHP Kodi Medeiros (three walks, one HBP)

Brevard County Game Log

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

re: Hader's pitch counts

I agree that he hasn't been the model off efficiency but it's not like he's walking a ton of guys ala Rogers. Without looking at each game log, I'm guessing he just needs to trust his stuff and pitch to contact a bit more often. No one is hitting him all that hard...maybe he just likes striking guys out. In any event, he does need to learn to be more efficient.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Had the pleasure of attending the weekend series between Colorado Springs and Omaha. I'll give everyone my opinion on a couple things. First, several players missed a flight from Dallasr to Omaha, one of which was the starter for Saturday's game. While he did arrive before the game, he was inserted as a relief pitcher. I don't have a problem with it but when he got into trouble they left him in to get hung out. We were only 2 games out of first coming into this series. Doesn't make sense when we have 9 guys in the bullpen. I suppose the coaches really don't care about winning but making an example out of someone.

Second thing is...a couple guys look horrible at the plate look at some of the averages.

Third thing...I don't like calling out people but Broxton looks bad in the outfield. This is the kind of OF I have seen played in Wisconsin and Helena. Over the course of 2 days, he clearly misplayed 6 balls only one of which was called an error. Official scorer was padding the Stormchasers numbers for sure. I was wondering why he was not in Center field and it's because Reed plays it better. Side note: I really like the AB's that Reed takes...making the pitcher work. Back to Broxton...Ran in on several balls that were over his head. I will cut him a little slack because the wind was blowing 20 to 40 mph both days but the other outfielders were not having these problems. And yes, Broxton does have a better arm than Khris Davis.

If ya think Colorado Springs is a tough place to play, Omaha might come in 2nd when the wind is blowing.

It's unfortunate that the sky sox lost both games because they had the lead in both games and it left me scratching my head about some of the coaching decisions that were made.

I'm going to Des Moines over the weekend, so I'll give another report later.

Can we assume Hernan Perez (.450 in his last 10 games) is looking pretty good? Manny Pina also?

Archived