Brewer Fanatic

Melvin to appear on 1510 at 9:18am

(joined it in progress)

- Teams would have to "twist his arm" to get some of the Brewers' 40-man roster players.

- Aaron Rowand not available, Zambrano not available, Scott Linebrink not available (most FA's to be are on contending teams)

- Recounted time as Rangers GM, having to sell off players

- Will call 5-6 teams today, to touch base

- Feels confident Capuano and Suppan will bounce back, given their track records. Would be difficult to give up on either of them.

- Points to Adrian Gonzalez's slump in relation to Rickie Weeks's slump

- Nolan Ryan or Greg Maddux: Nolan Ryan

- Talked about having your relievers pitched first and starters pitch to the end (in theory, of course)

Yeah it pretty much was a worthless GM conversation. He did throw some double talk in there though. Started out by saying that he couldnt see him self giving up any one on the big league club, but then later like Brian said he would be willing to trade if presented with right offer.

Quote:
- Will call 5-6 teams today, to touch base

I wonder how usual this is. I'm sure GM's talk to other GM's on and off, but I'm just wondering how often, especially leading up to the trade deadline. Is this 5-6 team phone list on his dockett normal, or is it more and implies he is definitely working on a trade.

In an article in today's Journal-Sentinel Melvin mentions that he talked to Krivsky yesterday. Is this increased trade "chatter" that means the trade defcon level is changing, or is it just July due dilligence? Just curious.

Who was dumb enough to ask him about Linebrink, Zambrano and Rowand?

Of course those guys are unavailable. I've noticed this in the past about Melvin. He avoids interviews with anyone who might have a clue as to what he's doing.

Regarding the Krivsky conversation, notice a. how dumb the reporters are by focusing on Griffey, and b. how Melvin was then able to deflect the name of the player he would likely be discussing with Krivsky (David Weathers), by just saying Griffey's name didn't come up. Doesn't that beg the question, well, then who's name did come up?

[ Who was dumb enough to ask him about Linebrink, Zambrano and Rowand?

Of course those guys are unavailable. I've noticed this in the past about Melvin. He avoids interviews with anyone who might have a clue as to what he's doing. ]

Nobody asked him about it. They just asked him what guys were available... He basically was just reinforcing the idea that most rentals were actually players that other teams needed this year, and the rental market is rather sparse.

"Points to Adrian Gonzalez's slump in relation to Rickie Weeks's slump

Can someone explain to me how this is even close to relevant with Weeks? "

First of all, I'm glad to see our friend NDOG back after an absence! Getting fun around here again...

Anyway, I figure the expectation level's similar for hopefully budding struggling young star Rickie Weeks, as they pertain to Adrian Gonzalez. A lot was expected of them, and AG stepped up nicely after some injuries and lapses into bad plate habits.

Hope that's all.

To me, it seems like RW's recovery from his wrist problems will spill into a third season.

It's getting frustrating with him, and all his thumb and wrist problems. My money says it's a finger next.

You'd think by now, he'd be at least at the Hart level of development. Not struggling, not an MVP candidate, a solid contributor. If he's hurt, he shouldn't play...all year, if necessary, because while I appreciate the effort, a .720 OPS is not what I was planning on from him.

(By the way, NDOG, as a Raider fan, keep your filty miits off our boy, Jerry Porter! http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif Lane's giving him a clean slate, and especially with Moss gone, JP's our #1 WR)

"So if this fruit's a Brewer's fan, his ass gotta be from Wisconsin...(or Chicago)."

(By the way, NDOG, as a Raider fan, keep your filty miits off our boy, Jerry Porter! http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif Lane's giving him a clean slate, and especially with Moss gone, JP's our #1 WR)

Yeah, LAST year would have been a great time to go get Jerry Porter, but the Raiders were probably asking for a 6th round pick, and that would have meant Ted Thompson wouldn't have had the excitement of drafting Desmond Bishop!

The solid contributer Hart:

.298/.368/.508

The irreplaceable Carlos Lee:

.297/.354/.514

You've been waiting to start this again, for weeks now. I feel so special!

"So if this fruit's a Brewer's fan, his ass gotta be from Wisconsin...(or Chicago)."

I think what Geno was getting at is that the expectations were always rather low in many circels for Hart... 10th round pick, under utilized the last 2 years, and lets be honest, he's not going to be a "name" on this team, no matter how well he plays.

Weeks was supposed to be a star... it just hasn't worked out that way, I don't think it's off the mark to have expected Weeks to put up a season like Hart has thus far. He's show flashes, but the lame injuries, and yes they are lame in my opinion have stunted his developement. I'm not sure how much the wrist is effecting his swing at the moment because he's so off balance and lunging out and over the plate on this swings. Here's hoping the off days helped him clear his mind a bit.

I am with you though about the Hart vs Lee production numbers, I've been firmly in Hart's camp all along, and I had no problem trading Lee. Even though I'm not a huge Jenkins fan, it would be nice if the Crew could make the playoffs with him the next couple of years, he's earned the chance to play on a contender. In the future though I wouldn't wait to slide LaPorta into left as soon as possible if he proves worthy.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Exactly!

I'm happy Hart has been a solid contributor toward our success. The expectations just haven't been the same for him as a 10th rounder, and not someone with back-to-back NCAA batting titles and a Golden Spikes award. Or a famous ex-player dad as Prince and TGJ are.

The expectations for RW have been through the roof (and can you blame us?), which is why so much discussion has been devoted to RW when he fails.

Nice post, TC07!

Weeks is not doing much, probably due to his wrist, but still is not far from league average OPS for 2B. And his defense is not far from ordinary either, a vast improvement from '06.

Hart is a middle of the order spot away from being an all-star, as RBI's are still used by many to gauge effectiveness, while in reality, they are just a result of coming up with lots of men on base.

This time of year, they talk often, just to see who's being offered and who they are asking about. For instance, if Doug does not see a match with Cincy, he might call Wayne just to discuss another offer or another team...Doug might say, "You know, I hear the Dodgers might like to add a pitcher, have they called about Lohse?", and Wayne will say they did, but only wanted Harang for a prospect Doug covets.

Doug could then call LA to make an offer since they are dangling that kid for a good arm.

I remember one GM saying he called Theo Epstein to leave him a voice mail at 4AM and Theo answered the phone, but said he couldn't talk, he had another GM holding. Teams that want to move some players probably talk to every GM once a week 'til the end of July.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Intresting, how many gm's talk to 6 other gm's on a normal day? Maybe something will happen soon?

I am just guessing, but probably a lot. If I were a GM, I'd imagine I'd probably try to talk to every GM at least once a week. It doesn't have to be anything specific, and maybe it's just a call to set up a round of golf next time I'm in town. But I'd like to talk to everyone as often as is reasonable just so lines of communication are open if it becomes time to make a deal.

Chris

-----

"I guess underrated pitchers with bad goatees are the new market inefficiency." -- SRB

I remember Doug Melvin saying during the winter meetings that a lot of calls between GMs had to do with being on the same page when it came to dispelling internet rumors. I wonder how many of his calls he's making for that reason.

endaround, it sure looks to me like baiting is the only purpose for your post (The irreplaceable Carlos Lee). I can't see any other reason why Lee would come to mind.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

Archived