Brewer Fanatic

Don August joins TV team

1992casey

Don August (Augie 2?) has joined the Brewers TV team. It's not clear whether this is permanent or temporary, but apparently Davey Nelson is "under the weather."

I didn't realize that Don had stayed in Milwaukee since his time with the Brewers. He's currently the head JV baseball coach at Menomonee Falls High School.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

I have no idea who this is.

Former Brewers pitcher from the late 80's that had a real nice rookie year with a bunch of complete games and pretty bad after that. Thought there might have been a Brewers retrospective on here but maybe not.

Here's an article from the Brewers' website:

'Augie' times two: August joins Brewers broadcast

Davey is dealing with a "medical matter." Details aren't available, but it's probably back pain.

August has limited on the air experience doing high school broadcasts.

You know what though? We get guys like this sometimes on tv but this is what I want on the radio. Only a Brewers fan listens to a Brewers game on the radio. Not saying specifically August-I have no idea what he's like as a guy or on the mic. But I'd rather listen to a former Brewer on the radio than just about anybody else.

Is he better than Augustine? The definition of aweful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I heard him yesterday because I was too lazy to look for the remote. He was pretty bad. Maybe even worse than Augustine.

I thought he was shaky when I heard him on Friday. Of course, first night jitters out of someone who's an amateur is to be expected.

My guess is that the Brewers scrambled to find someone to fill in. But I thought that about Augie 1, and he's stuck around for several years. Guys like the Augies can have niches within a TV broadcast, or they can be fill-ins, but when they're relied upon too much, things start to get choppy and disjointed.

I hold former players to a different standard than I would for those who are professionally trained. Their main job is to be interesting. Still, they have to demonstrate some degree of comfort in front of the mike.

The pool of ex-players still in the area must not be very deep. Augustine's my age for goodness sake. You have to be in your late 40's to remember his playing days. August started with great promise (4th in ROY voting in 1988), but was not good after that one season. Brewers gave up veteran Danny Darwin to get him and Mark Knudson from Astros in a move meant to build for the future. Sound familiar?

Darwin continued to be a very good pitcher after that, leading the NL in ERA in 1989, and pitching mostly as a starter until he was 42. Knudson had one so-so year as a starter in 1990 but like August was out of baseball long before Darwin was.

My dad, brother, and I used to go to baseball card shows every weekend in the 80's and early 90's. Did it mostly to get Brewers autographs and watch my dad get depressed when he saw all the old cards he used to have. Got Don August's autograph at the Brewers clubhouse day or whatever it was and got my picture taken with him.

He was at a card show some time after that and my dad brought the picture for him to sign. August got a huge kick out of that.

Is this August cat on the pre-game, post-game or both? I try not watch any of that. Sometimes I catch something just because the channel is still on after the game. I don't know why they don't just show the full Counsell press conference after each game. While not earth shaking news ever, at least it's more interesting than hearing multiple Augusts babble on about how the Baw club is doing.

My son's HS team plays Menominee Falls every year in a non-conference DH, usually at Wisconsin-Whitewater, but this year they are playing at Kapco. It wasn't until last year that I realized that Don August was their head coach (yes, I'm one of the "old guys" on this board that remembers when he played for the Brewers..in fact I think I may have one of his baseball cards). Falls has a great team. They won the Summer HS Baseball championship last year (there are about 50 WI high school teams that play Summer baseball instead of Spring baseball).

Edit: As stated in the original post (and I misread) and as my son has just informed me, he's actually the head JV coach at Men Falls.

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

Augie 2 is part of the "Brewers Live" pre- and post-game shows.

I caught a little bit of him on Sunday. He seemed to be more settled in and comfortable. I can't say I paid a lot of attention, though. Almost everyone spits out similar cliches with the small chance that something unique or interesting will trickle out.

As an aside on this, when Jessica Mendoza and Chris Archer were in the booth during last year's Yankees-Astros wildcard game, we got to hear something other than the same old chatter.

I agree with FVBrewerFan. The entire Counsell press conference would be a good idea. At least we'd be hearing from a person that's making news instead of the people who are trying to create it.

Archived