Brewer Fanatic

Article on Santana

markedman5

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Great, in depth article. I especially like the gifs that show the differences in the swing from last year to this year.

I had to take a look at the stats, and I see DS only has 11 punch outs in 54 plate appearances so far this year. That's WAY down from his rate stat on K's last year. Now.... his OPS is only slightly up (.783 vs. .766) so he's not really producing runs at a much higher rate, but it's also too early to say if this changed approach is a difference maker. I do like that .370 OBP, but lets wait and see if we get the power we were expecting.

I will take less homers if it means a higher AVG and OBP...he still has quite a few doubles for 50 at-bats. He is one a pace to reach 50 so it isn't like he has failed in that category. Not really concerned by his lack of power since it has only been half a month. Some guys take a bit to get started up. Of course even if the 30 HR power never comes to fruition he is still one to put up a solid stat line. Not to mention he is pretty good at putting together a good at-bat almost every time he is up there.

I'm impressed so far and I was his biggest critic fearing massive strikeout totals. He appears much improved. I hope it continues. Between his adjustment and Gennett on a pace for about 100 walks, who can say they saw this coming?

Lineup is still a little short but it's encouraging.

As with all changes to a hitter's approach, a few weeks is a welcome adjustment, but most players eventually revert to the style they're most comfortable with. (I remember tracking Corey Hart's reversion to the mean a few seasons ago...which was also plate-discipline related.)

The one thing Santana has on someone like Scooter is that he's younger, and less set in his ways (at the ML level).

From the minute I read about the Gomez trade, I immediately drew comparisons between Nelson Cruz (back when a Brewers prospect) and Santana. Both outstanding defenders capable of playing CF in a pinch, tremendous power potential, decent average, lots of walks, and strikeout a ton. He's been fine, but I feel his best is yet to come!

Domingo Santana has drool worthy upside, offensively. And what we're seeing from him (and Scooter) is the kind of development I've been screaming about for years. Fundamentals. Developing a good eye at the plate. Learning strike zone discipline. All he other stuff is going to come in time because these guys are showing the smarts at the plate. Better discipline is already leading to higher walk rates. Keep that up, and pitchers will reach the point where they have to start throwing more over the strike zone.

Scooter impresses me. Domingo impresses me. We have a lot of holes in our line up right now. But we have a couple pieces for the future that I'm thrilled about. And that's what I'm looking for this season. Who cares about the short term? Let the Brewers lose 100 games. I don't care, if doing so means that Scooter, and Domingo are given the chance to work through what they need to.

Scooter still isn't hitting lefties yet. In fact, his only hit is that bomb against Bumgarner. But even though he's only one for nine at the plate against southpaws, his OBP is .467 because he's got 6 walks. I would rather he consistently make solid contact against lefties, and bring up his average. But he's showing patience, which means his approach is smart. The average will come. And while that walk rate is unsustainable, if he can continue to have a good OBP against lefties, he can stay in the lineup.

Smart baseball players make me giddy. Forget what the throwaway guys are doing right now. Aaron Hill isn't part of the future, so I don't care if he flops. Domingo and Scooter are. And when Orlando and Brett and the other guys start coming up, that kind of plate discipline will rub off on them.

Hell, lose 120 games. I don't care. We're getting a glimpse at the future, and I'm loving that glimpse.

There are three things America will be known for 2000 years from now when they study this civilization: the Constitution, jazz music and baseball. They're the three most beautifully designed things this culture has ever produced. Gerald Early

Domingo Santana has drool worthy upside, offensively. And what we're seeing from him (and Scooter) is the kind of development I've been screaming about for years. Fundamentals. Developing a good eye at the plate. Learning strike zone discipline. All he other stuff is going to come in time because these guys are showing the smarts at the plate. Better discipline is already leading to higher walk rates. Keep that up, and pitchers will reach the point where they have to start throwing more over the strike zone.

Scooter impresses me. Domingo impresses me. We have a lot of holes in our line up right now. But we have a couple pieces for the future that I'm thrilled about. And that's what I'm looking for this season. Who cares about the short term? Let the Brewers lose 100 games. I don't care, if doing so means that Scooter, and Domingo are given the chance to work through what they need to.

Scooter still isn't hitting lefties yet. In fact, his only hit is that bomb against Bumgarner. But even though he's only one for nine at the plate against southpaws, his OBP is .467 because he's got 6 walks. I would rather he consistently make solid contact against lefties, and bring up his average. But he's showing patience, which means his approach is smart. The average will come. And while that walk rate is unsustainable, if he can continue to have a good OBP against lefties, he can stay in the lineup.

Smart baseball players make me giddy. Forget what the throwaway guys are doing right now. Aaron Hill isn't part of the future, so I don't care if he flops. Domingo and Scooter are. And when Orlando and Brett and the other guys start coming up, that kind of plate discipline will rub off on them.

Hell, lose 120 games. I don't care. We're getting a glimpse at the future, and I'm loving that glimpse.

I am not sure Scooter is really part of the future. He's eligible for arbitration after this year.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Yeah I'd say that Scooter is trade bait so letting him work through things gives him a lot more value. He does have 6 BB vs LHP in just 17 PA which is a marked improvement if he can keep it up partially.

I'm really not sure anyone that played full time last year is part of the future. Guys like Santana might be.

I think you guys are being a little too literal on "the future". Will he be with the Brewers in 5 years? Probably not. But does that mean they will trade him immediately? Probably not.

If Scooter can hang onto what he is improving this year, I don't see a reason to dump him simply because he is going into arby. Given a couple more years of improvements, he might be most valuable to trade later than sooner. He might be a guy that bridges the gap until Diaz makes it up.

Or he might revert and Rivera takes 2B.

Until someone pushes him off 2B(no clear person in the near future) or we get a great offer Scooter Gennett isn't going anywhere. Honestly he is young enough he may just be apart of the next contender. I don't envision him still here, but he could be.

I consider the future as players who will be part of the next team that is competitive. I don't think Scooter will be around for that.

It wouldn't surprise me if he sticks around for 3 years. He isn't a big trade target, but is playing OK. And no one is pushing him out.

• 3 weeks later...
Santana has been less than stellar defensively. In fact he's been bad. He lopes after balls that get by him too. Offensively he's a bit too passive and not showing the power many expected. I was never sold on him but I'm trying to keep an open mind given his youth. So far, I still don't see it.

His defense needs to improve, yes. But overall for a 23 year old he's doing a pretty nice job. He's been asked to be our leadoff hitter and responded with an on base % of .360, not to shabby.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Khris Davis hit 3 bombs last night and now has 11_for the year. All I can say is Nottingham and Derby better be good because the jury is out on Santana.

That .228 / .257 / .746 slash is to die for. A struggling Santana is still getting on base 100 points higher...come on now.

Well, shoot. He is who we thought he'd be. Good for him to continue hitting HRs up to 11. OPS+101 WAR thus far 0.3 Probably turned positive after this 3HR 6RBI game.

Not going to lose sleep on the trade. A far higher ceiling player in Santana needed a spot in the OF. Brewers received a legit Catcher and what may become a late innings relief or solid #3-4SP. While providing Santana room to grow. What Davis is doing is increasing his forthcoming salary while still having a value of 0-2WAR player. The increase in pay he will command will be to an amount where he ends up being non-tendered. unless he starts providing Avg/OB to go with the slg.

Archived