Brewer Fanatic

Broxton optioned to triple a to make room for Davies

markedman5

For some reason I didn't think Broxton had options?
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

If I recall, Liriano was the one with no options left and Broxton had one (just used). That's why most expected Liriano to make the roster over Broxton until his injury.

If I recall, Liriano was the one with no options left and Broxton had one (just used). That's why most expected Liriano to make the roster over Broxton until his injury.

Thanks, there's was so many it was hard to keep track.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Thanks, there's was so many it was hard to keep track.

It definitely is. I am enjoying learning about the new influx of players though. I know he has an option, just not sure if it is his final one.

As far as the actual demotion, it makes sense. Broxton is not hitting and looks like he needs some time at AAA. We can make due with the current guys for a while. It does make me hopeful they do end up bringing up Reed. Many don't think he is a CF but he's seeing more time there, has been hot, and has the speed to swipe some bases. If he only bats against lefties, he is more than likely a better option than what we currently have.

Regardless, I think we are going to see a lot of movement with personnel this year.

Broxton had two options left at the time of the move.

Regarding options, while most of the Brewerfan main site is obsolete, the 40-man roster page, which lists options available, is up to date.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

Just for 'option' understanding... The option used for Broxton to go down is the only one he will burn up this season (2016).

He can go back & forth between the Brewers and the Sky Sox 5 more times (or more) this season and no other options will be used....

He didn't hit in spring and it carried over into the season. They took a flyer on Broxton because of his obvious athleticism. It cost them a nice looking bat in Rogers. I'd have liked to have seen what Rogers could do with a full season playing 1B, but even in a rebuilding situation, they didn't have interest in giving a late bloomer like Rogers a shot. Carter's done well so far so it might work out, but Broxton figures to be passed up by not one but two better prospects soon. Rogers didn't have anyone breathing down his neck in the system.

There is a reason that after trading for him the Pirates haven't played him yet this year even though he is 28 years old. They converted a lifetime mediocre C to 1B instead of giving him even a chance at a platoon. Jason Rogers is nothing but a filler option on a major league team. The Brewers simply do not need that type of player during a rebuild.

He didn't hit in spring and it carried over into the season. They took a flyer on Broxton because of his obvious athleticism. It cost them a nice looking bat in Rogers. I'd have liked to have seen what Rogers could do with a full season playing 1B, but even in a rebuilding situation, they didn't have interest in giving a late bloomer like Rogers a shot. Carter's done well so far so it might work out, but Broxton figures to be passed up by not one but two better prospects soon. Rogers didn't have anyone breathing down his neck in the system.

You realize Broxton wasn't the only player they got for Rogers, right? He probably wasn't even the main piece in return. And there's only 14 months age difference between Carter and Rogers. And Carter has been at least an average bat the last 4 years.

I would've let Rogers start at 1B this season too. Until that deal was offered. That's way more than I thought we'd get and it was a pretty easy deal for us to take.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I really hope Broxton gets it turned around in AAA and comes back up at some point and produces a bit. He's a guy I wanted to see have success and hopefully be a future piece here, even if just as a 4th OF type. He really looked overmatched, which is disappointing, but I just hate that less than 20 plate appearances were used to make this decision.

They haven't made final decision on Broxton based on 20 plate appearances. He had options, so you send him down and see if he can get on track. Doesn't mean they've given up on him. Same thing they did with Scooter last year. Really nothing to lose by sending him down and see if he can get his confidence back.

This was always an experiment to see if Broxton, Liriano, Flores, Niewenhaus, Villar, Walsh, etc. could be part of the future, or traded at the deadline. We knew if one or two of these guys panned out it would be a success.

Turning a journeyman 1B into an athletic but raw CF and a former 2nd round pick P is good business. Yes, Broxton looked horrible and he earned every bit of the demotion but the trade itself was what the Brewers should be doing.

They've had Reed playing a bit of CF in AAA lately, he hits right-handed, and he's on the 40-man, so he looks to be the obvious choice for a call-up. This doesn't mean that Broxton is a failure, just that he needs everyday playing time at AAA as the Brewers continue to use this season to see which of our borderline OFs have a future for the team.

Our #1 option right now for CF is Phillips. I love him as a player, and after seeing him interact with the fans in Biloxi, he jumped even higher on my list of guys I want to see do really well. I think that he'd outperform all the other options immediately. However, given the team's situation and the MLB CBA, Phillips will probably end up staying in the minors until a few months into next year, so the revolving door of CF until that point is just seeing what some of these other guys can do. Hopefully one or two of them shine, giving us some options down the road.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

I love him as a player, and after seeing him interact with the fans in Biloxi, he jumped even higher on my list of guys I want to see do really well.

One of the minor league broadcasters said that Maverick has never met a stranger.

Sorry to go OT, but I take that stuff with a grain of salt. The "other Brett" in attendance was also always seen as a great guy- until we found out more. I'm sure Mav is great young man, but we never really know. So I try not to get attached to players personally.

Sorry to go OT, but I take that stuff with a grain of salt. The "other Brett" in attendance was also always seen as a great guy- until we found out more. I'm sure Mav is great young man, but we never really know. So I try not to get attached to players personally.

Players can still be good people and make mistakes. Braun was a complete fool a couple of years ago and I think he is still a very good person that just made a mistake and paid for it. They are no different than you or me just that the spotlight is on them 24/7. It is great to hear this stuff about Maverick because it's always great to have interesting people to follow as a part of your sports teams.

Impersonal can be good, and it's necessary when it comes to making tough decisions. But from a fan standpoint, it's easy to enjoy the fun personalities. Still, we tend to understand when it becomes time to part company like we had to do with Favre.

You realize Broxton wasn't the only player they got for Rogers, right? He probably wasn't even the main piece in return. And there's only 14 months age difference between Carter and Rogers. And Carter has been at least an average bat the last 4 years.

I would've let Rogers start at 1B this season too. Until that deal was offered. That's way more than I thought we'd get and it was a pretty easy deal for us to take.

You are referring to a teenage pitcher with a 5.85 ERA in two brief rookie league seasons who if he does ever reach the majors (no better than 50-50 proposition at this point) will be sometime in the next decade as the main piece? By the way, not surprisingly, Rogers is tearing up AAA. Then again, he's hit every where he's been.

As for Carter being an "average bat for the last 4 years"? He's 2.4 wins above replacement in 4 seasons. His peak was a 2.0. Houston non-tendered him. I just think it was Stearns coming from Houston and thinking anything Houston had was better than what the Brewers system could possibly have produced. Carter's basically Mark Reynolds II. Ho hum. Jason Rogers is close in age to Carter but he was controllable for basically his entire useful career. Not saying once Rogers was dealt that Carter was a horrible pick up. There wasn't much out there for what they were willing to pay. Just that I liked what I saw of Rogers as a hitter. He did very well pinch hitting in high leverage situations against the better relievers. I like seeing guys who came from late rounds, and defied the scouts and produced and basically forced their way to the big leagues. Then along comes a new glorified scout with little first hand knowledge of Rogers and says he's not impressed.

Yea, I also had issues with that trade. Stearns made a lot of moves, he won't come out on top on a lot of them. I just thought Rogers is a guy who can flat out hit, and could have been a nice bridge from rebuilding to competing, and could have been traded at any time over the next 6 years (and for more than Broxton/Supak.)

I didn't like giving up Wagner or Sneed either, but the Rogers trade is the only one I had a real problem with, still do.

Really none of the trades have been of any tangible value to our organization but its still VERY early.

Rogers for two higher ceiling/low floor guys wasnt a bad move especially since this is a "rebuilding" year and Carter has been adequate at 1B at a very low cost.

Not to drive this off topic, but the one game I was at, he was warming up playing catch before the game. He saw a couple of young kids about halfway up in the stands and waved them to come down. He grabbed a couple of baseballs, ran to the fence and spent some time talking to the kids and giving them the baseballs, and waited around while their dad grabbed his phone to take some pictures, talking/jokinng with the kids while he waited. When a couple of other kids came down, he ran back to the field to grab some more balls to give to them. He went out of his way to give these kids a moment they'll probably remember the rest of their lives.

I grew up in Beloit, so I've seen a lot of minor league games, and that was the most genuine, fan-friendly thing I've ever seen a player do. I know in today's world of baseball, it's probably better to not grow too attached to players, but at the same time I think it's good to acknowledge that there are good people in the game. We sure get enough news when someone does something bad.

He also looked good against Brewer pitching that day, so while he can probably benefit from more minor league "seasoning," I don't think he'd be lost at the plate if they called him up today. For financial reasons it won't happen, so until it does we'll just have to argue whether the fringe prospect we sent to Pittsburgh is better than the fringe prospects we got back, or any of the other fringe prospects/non-prospects we had trying out for CF this spring.

I hope Broxton and Reed both do well, but they're playing to see if they will be a future Brewer backup, or to drive up their trade value. Right now, they're kind of interchangeable, and I just hope at least one of them does well enough that we don't have to add Young or Presley to the 40-man, which will likely be the next move if Reed doesn't perform at the MLB level.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Archived