Brewer Fanatic

Why not Taylor in CF in 2016?

JohnBriggs12

With that said, if they want to bring up Reed to see if he can play CF, I'm fine with that. Sure, starting his clock maybe a year early, but he's a guy who wouldn't cost very much as a 4th OF down the road in his arby years and beyond.

Reed looks like the obvious choice. He's on the 40-man and bats RH. Swap him and Broxton to see if he can do something in the majors, and if Broxton can "find it" with every day playing time in AAA. Both of them are playing to see if they'll make quality 4th/5th OFs in the future, so let's see who outplays the other.

Young and Presley appear to have been kept in order to give the team a reason to keep some other guys (i.e. Phillips) in AA to justify keeping him in the minors for a few months next year to gain a year's service time. Hopefully it is not necessary to add either of those guys to the 40-man, and hopefully the Brewers will do something to clear the AAA outfield later in the season so some of the guys at the lower levels get promoted. Right now, Phillips, Wren, Taylor and Roache are all in AA, and all of them should be playing every day. Meanwhile, Coulter is stuck in High-A.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

2015 numbers:

Broxton: 273/357/438/795 - two-thirds of the time at AAA and one-third at AA (302/365/464/828 at AA alone).

Taylor: 260/312/337/649 - all at AA

Reed: 269/371/410/781 - three-fourths at AA and one-fourth at AAA (278/379/422/801 at AA alone)

I'm not worried about starting Taylor's clock. He isn't a key piece going forward. And I'd welcome the chance to see what he could do if I thought he actually earned it. Or had some hope of doing something at the MLB level. But he hasn't been able to do anything at the AA level. And others that did better at AA and AAA are struggling at MLB level.

Taylor needs to focus on doing something sustainable at AA level this year first. Age is on his side, but he needs to produce or he might not be on the 40-man next year.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Taylor is an immensely talented young player who has not turned his natural ability into baseball success. He did not focus on baseball full time until he was 19 years old. The organization is wise to give him time to develop - the reward could be significant.

In the end, he's got to produce. But that needs time to see if it's going to happen. It might never, but rushing him is not the answer. Thankfully, he doesn't have a big flaw such as the massive K rate of a guy like Broxton. He makes good contact, doesn't strike out a lot, and already plays good defense. That's a good starting point - he's got to make the next step as a hitter.

Archived