Brewer Fanatic

2016-04-15 Brewers (Nelson) at Pirates (Locke), 6:05 PM CDT [Brewers win, 8-4; Braun homers twice; Brewers walk 10 times]

1992casey

[igt-2012][game-setup][logo]http://forum.brewerfan.net/igt/2016-logos/brewers.png[/logo][game-info][h1]April 15| 6:05 P.M.[/h1][h2]Brewers (4-5) | Pirates (5-5)[/h2][h3]FSWI | WTMJ 620[/h3][/game-info][logo]http://forum.brewerfan.net/igt/2016-logos/pirates.png[/logo][/game-setup][pitching-photos]http://forum.brewerfan.net/igt/2016-pitcher-photos/brewers/brewers_nelson-jimmy-09.jpghttp://forum.brewerfan.net/igt/2016-pitcher-photos/opponents/pirates_locke-jeff-05.jpg[/pitching-photos][game-matchup][divclass=away][pitcher]Jimmy Nelson[/pitcher][h2]1-1, 2.70 ERA, 0.98 WHIP[/h2][h3]Versus Pirates | Game Log[/h3][h3]Nelson is off to the best start of any member of the Brewers’ rotation, holding the Giants and Astros to four earned runs over 13 innings in his first two starts. He has a 3.38 ERA in three starts at PNC Park.[/h3][/divclass][divclass=home][pitcher]Jeff Locke[/pitcher][h2]0-0, 1.50 ERA, 1.50 WHIP[/h2][h3]Versus Brewers | Game Log[/h3][h3]Against the Reds on Sunday, Locke allowed just one earned run on seven hits over six innings, but he left with a no decision. He’s 5-4 with a 3.75 ERA in his career against the Brewers.[/h3][/divclass][starting-lineup][divclass=away]

1. RF Domingo Santana ®
  2. SS Jonathan Villar (S)
  3. LF Ryan Braun ®
  4. C Jonathan Lucroy ®
  5. 1B Chris Carter ®
  6. 3B Aaron Hill ®
  7. 2B Scooter Gennett (L)
  8. RHP Jimmy Nelson ®
  9. CF Keon Broxton ®

[/divclass][divclass=home]

1. 1B John Jaso (L)
  2. CF Andrew McCutchen ®
  3. 3B David Freese ®
  4. LF Starling Marté ®
  5. C Francisco Cervelli ®
  6. RF Gregory Polanco (L)
  7. 2B Josh Harrison ®
  8. SS Jordy Mercer ®
  9. LHP Jeff Locke (L)

[/divclass][/starting-lineup][/game-matchup][game-links][h3][chat]BrewerFan Chat[/chat] | MLB Gameday[/h3][/game-links][/igt-2012]

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This would be a nice win for Jimmy to get. Win the opener and at least give yourself a shot at a split road trip.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Nelson is getting close to must see TV for me. He is a really enjoyable pitcher to watch out there, the first righty I can remember like that since Sheets.

Agreed. He is getting close to looking like a fringe ace. I wouldnt quite say dominant the way Ben Sheets was at times. But it sure seems like every time Nelson goes out he is going to give you 6 or 7 innings with 2 runs or less.

Nelson is getting close to must see TV for me. He is a really enjoyable pitcher to watch out there, the first righty I can remember like that since Sheets.

Already forget about Yovani Gallardo?

Nelson has had two good starts, but no need to jump the gun here.

Gallardo was painful to watch. Im not just saying Nelson is a good pitcher, I said he is enjoyable to watch. Gallardo was the king of the 20 pitch 1-2-3 inning and that just isnt fun to watch on TV.

Gallardo was painful to watch. Im not just saying Nelson is a good pitcher, I said he is enjoyable to watch. Gallardo was the king of the 20 pitch 1-2-3 inning and that just isnt fun to watch on TV.

I guess everyone can have their opinion, but 2009-2011 Gallardo was pretty fun to watch...especially that first half of 2010 that sent him to the All Star game.

I remember Yovani being a joy to watch his rookie year. His command was excellent, he was efficient and he was very mature for a young pitcher. I'm not sure if the knee injury changed something but he was never as good as he was early. I didn't look up any statistics, so I guess it's possible that he was never that good but my expectations weren't that high early on and he exceeded them.

At the end of the day, Gallardo was an effective pitcher, no doubt and Im not suggesting he wasnt a good pitcher when it was counted up in the stat sheet. But sheesh he was the anti Maddux in terms of economy of pitches.

When I think of Gallardo ace doesn't come to mind. It is consistency. He was literally the same pitcher almost each and every year. He was above average and consistently went out every 5 days and threw the ball well and gave you a chance to win.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Not saying Gallardo was an ace, but he was a heck of a lot closer to one than Nelson is showing right now. I don't see the pure dominance some are hinting at here. When I watch Nelson(right now) I think solid #3 starter. There is nothing about him that just jumps out at you when watching him. He does have the potential to be a little flashier though.

i think we are all just so used to boring pitchers Nelson seems a little more exciting than he actually is.

Brewers Lineup:

1. Domingo Santana- RF

2. Jonathan Villar- SS

3. Ryan Braun- LF

4. Jonathan Lucroy- C

5. Chris Carter- 1B

6. Aaron Hill- 3B

7. Scooter Gennett- 2B

8. Jimmy Nelson- P

9. Keon Broxton- CF

Pirates Lineup:

1. John Jaso- 1B

2. Andrew McCutchen- CF

3. David Freese- 3B

4. Starling Marte- LF

5. Francisco Cervelli- C

6. Gregory Polanco- RF

7. Josh Harrison- 2B

8. Jordy Mercer- SS

9. Jeff Locke- P

All players will #42 today in honor of Jackie Robinson.

I see we are back to putting the worst hitter in the 9 hole.

6-9 is a complete black hole with the lineup vs. Locke. Gonna need 1-5 to be hot tonight.

Wow, John Jaso as your leadoff? Appears to be consistent on the season lineups. Why with Marte or Polanco would you not bat one of them as leadoff?

Jaso gets on base more over his career. Could be the reason

Wow, John Jaso as your leadoff? Appears to be consistent on the season lineups. Why with Marte or Polanco would you not bat one of them as leadoff?

Jaso gets on base more over his career. Could be the reason

Great he gets on base more .362OB just to clog the basepath in front of McCutchen. When he does get on base over 77% of the time he's clogging 1b on potential XBH for McCutchen. Polanco had a .320OB last season his 1st full year. So for .04OB you bat him 5/6 vs leadoff? I'd think the runs differential for Jaso at leadoff over Polanco at 5/6 would amount to a negative due to the lesser ABs Polanco sees, SBs he'd be able to get over Jaso, but scoring from 1b or 2b on hits Jaso wouldn't.

Good to see Scooter continuing to start vs LHP's. His at-bats vs Garcia weren't terrible, Garcia was just on. Had a good 3-1 pitch to hit in his 1st at-bat but he looked at it, then got a nasty 3-2 changeup for the strikeout. I'm convinced Scooter can hit LHP's enough to be an every day player
The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

For those of us without TV, what just happened?

Aaron Hill got on due to catcher's interference...hit his glove with the bat.

Prior to that Carter got on after he smoked it right back at Locke hitting his foot and it went flying over towards the 1st/2nd base hole. Ended up as nice race to the bag which ended in a virtual tie.

Gameday is slowly putting in pitches to Starling Marté. But Josh Harrison is batting. They're four batters behind at this point.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

Archived