Brewer Fanatic

BP article on Peralta's struggles

This seems to sum it up.

…pitchers get off to bad starts, and their basic peripherals look bad, and they aren’t necessarily utter disasters.

Peralta, though, has in fact been terrible.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

I'm trying to think of another pitcher who throws as hard as Peralta and gets as few K's, but i'm coming up blank.

Custom table I just pulled together:

http://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.aspx?pos=all&stats=sta&lg=all&qual=y&type=c,75,76,6,13,24,29,30,31,36,38,42,62&season=2016&month=0&season1=2010&ind=0&team=0&rost=0&age=0&filter=&players=0&sort=4,d

Joe Kelly is very similar. Jarred Cosart doesn't throw quite as hard but his K/9 is even lower (though he has over-performed his peripherals). If I had to guess just quickly looking at these numbers, I would posit that one of the issues with Peralta, Kelly, etc. is that they throw hard but their secondary stuff isn't as good. It seems that the guys who throw >65% FB tend not to do that well (except Gerrit Cole, who presumably just has a good enough fastball to get away with that), probably because major league hitters are going to figure you out sooner or later.

Typically when it comes to mechanics I trust that professional coaches know what they're doing. Having said that, Wily has way too much unnecessary movement in his delivery. He's got a big rocker step and shifts his weight back which makes him unbalanced when he gets to his balance point and then bends his leg before he breaks his hands which makes the rest of his delivery totally unpredictable and his release point all over the place. I don't know if I've seen a big league starting pitcher with less control of his fastball than Peralta. If you can't command your fastball, the rest of your pitches are irrelevant. Just ask the revolving door of closers Milwaukee has had in the last decade.

This surprises me because Derek Johnson is supposed to be a mechanics guru. Has DJ not spotted these flaws or is Wily just making no effort to fix it?

It's time to make a move and send him down. This isn't a hiccup type of starts he's going through. He's failed to pitch in to the 6th Inning! in 8 of his last 10starts. 44.2IP in those 10 starts. 2QS. Those other 8 31.2IP 31ERs That would be 4IP/4ER on avg per start. When 4Runs is the magical number in baseball, he's allowing the other team to reach that in 4IP. That is in 1/3rd of a season of starts he's allowed this. He's had 92 starts thus far in his career. In a season of long leashes and finding out who's going to stick and who's going to get left behind, Peralta is at a stage where we know what to expect from him. Doesn't need a trial to showcase what he's got. Time to move him from starter to bullpen and with that move, he needs to be in the minors learning this bullpen life that he doesn't know. Jorge Lopez, Zach Davies, Guerra and Suter are more deserving of ML starts this year now than Peralta is.

Wily needs to have a Roy Halladay-like demotion. Maybe not to A-ball like Doc, but I'd send him to Biloxi to play with a good team. I love Wily's talent. Sometimes I think he needs one of those angry talks. Remember when Yost once came out and yelled at Vargas on the mound?

Basically, if he's failing to live up to the standards of a team projected to finish in last place, then he needs a kick in the butt.

Every time I see Wily Peralta on the mound, I have flashbacks to Roberto Hernandez aka Fausto Carmona..

Cy Young contender in 2007, many struggles there after and a demotion to Low A ball in either 2009 or 2010.

One thing I found interesting, MLB had an opening special on that first Sunday and questions were poised on different topics. One question was about first player from the Brewers/ Reds to be traded away this season and Ken Rosenthal said Wily Peralta.

Every time I see Wily Peralta on the mound, I have flashbacks to Roberto Hernandez aka Fausto Carmona..

Cy Young contender in 2007, many struggles there after and a demotion to Low A ball in either 2009 or 2010.

One thing I found interesting, MLB had an opening special on that first Sunday and questions were poised on different topics. One question was about first player from the Brewers/ Reds to be traded away this season and Ken Rosenthal said Wily Peralta.

Except Peralta was never that good and even in his one decent season the issues he has now were apparent. However those issues have now been exponentially worse leading to total ineffectiveness.

Peralta's trade value is at an all time low so that's not happening. He'll probably get a few more starts, then it'll be bullpen time when Garza returns.

After this season Peralta is looking like a non-tender.

I think we have to give him some time. He typically starts slow. He seems like one of those guys who has a lot going on in his delivery and sometimes has trouble controlling his emotions. Guys like that do better over the course of the season. They get into a grove and start reeling off a string of good starts. I realize he finished pretty poorly last season but keep in mind he was coming off the DL so he was sort of starting over and never really got into a rhythm. I doubt he'll ever hit his projected ceiling but he isn't as bad as he has been.
There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

Archived