Brewer Fanatic

Panda

Ok, I know we're not buyers. My thinking is that if the Red Sox traded him to us with say $50 million, we'd essentially be taking a 5 year $28 million flier on him. If he loses weight and starts hitting like he can, we could spin him off and next prospects. If we're willing to eat more money they may include a mediocre prospect

http://33.media.tumblr.com/e61d0c68596d4338be9227ea0439e47b/tumblr_inline_nskv2ys6BE1qlvpuy_500.gif
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Ok, I know we're not buyers. My thinking is that if the Red Sox traded him to us with say $50 million, we'd essentially be taking a 5 year $28 million flier on him. If he loses weight and starts hitting like he can, we could spin him off and next prospects. If we're willing to eat more money they may include a mediocre prospect

Here's the big problem. Panda doesn't think his weight is an issue. He's totally comfortable being 330 pounds and calling himself an "athlete". We're not close to being buyers, and getting a guy like this as a "flip" candidate is a HUGE (pun intended) risk that they shouldn't be taking. I'd rather let a guy like Walsh or Cecchini play (and succeed or fail) than pay even half of what Sandoval is owed to be huge and suck for the next four years if they can't find a taker for that contract and gigantic belly.

If we are going to take Red Sox albatross contracts, Id consider Castillo and give him regular at-bats in center for 10-15 million of his remaining 56 million over the next 5 years. Doubt the Red Sox are too motivated to pay him to play elsewhere yet though.

http://deadspin.com/report-red-sox-happy-to-pretend-pablo-sandovals-injury-1770956455

The only solution that would satisfy both sides would require Sandoval spending this DL break conditioning, and return to the team able to recapture at least some of his value so the Red Sox could trade him without having to swallow nearly all of his contract. That’s right: the only thing standing in the way of a player and a team who can’t stand each other being stuck together for the foreseeable future is the possibility of Pablo Sandoval getting in shape. No biggie."

It's like they read my mind.

http://deadspin.com/report-red-sox-happy-to-pretend-pablo-sandovals-injury-1770956455

The only solution that would satisfy both sides would require Sandoval spending this DL break conditioning, and return to the team able to recapture at least some of his value so the Red Sox could trade him without having to swallow nearly all of his contract. That’s right: the only thing standing in the way of a player and a team who can’t stand each other being stuck together for the foreseeable future is the possibility of Pablo Sandoval getting in shape. No biggie."

It's like they read my mind.

Id take him on only if they were willing to add significant prospects to the package.

If Sandoval was a free agent, I doubt he gets anything close to $28M. The guy was one of the worst full time players in baseball last year, and he's looking even worse with the weight he has put on.

The only reason the guy would make a team is someone would be hoping he could regain his previous form - but let's face it, his weight isn't going to change overnight. I wouldn't be surprised if no one wanted him - even at league minimum.

The guy should walk away from the game, get a personal trainer and chef, and get into playing shape. Perhaps by the end of the season he could come back and be an asset. But again, let's face the facts. The guy had the chance to do that in the off season and didn't do it. He seems to be in denial that he has a problem.

The Giants must be so happy that the guy walked away from their offer.

The guy should walk away from the game, get a personal trainer and chef, and get into playing shape. Perhaps by the end of the season he could come back and be an asset. But again, let's face the facts. The guy had the chance to do that in the off season and didn't do it. He seems to be in denial that he has a problem.

Well, he's getting paid millions even if he needs the batboy to push him in a wheelchair from the locker room to the bench so he can watch the game, so if he has no issue with being overweight, then he doesn't really have a problem. It's the Red Sox who have the problem in that they have to pay him, and potentially waste a 25 & 40-man roster spot on a non-productive player.

San Fran got on Sandoval about his weight every year he was with them, so it's not like he suddenly gained weight once he signed his contract. As long as teams are willing to offer monster contracts to players with question marks, then I don't have much compassion for them when the contract bombs on them. I'm just glad to see that the Brewers are moving away from signing questionable players to multi-year deals. Let's give other teams' fans reason to complain.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

We already have Hill at 3rd base

shouldn't that be in blue? Hill should have been released in spring training, except he has no competition and is seen as a solid veteran influence. We have nobody worthwhile at 3b in the minor leagues. We are what, $50 million below last year's budget? Attanasio has pointed out that the team is going to pocket a huge sum of money this year. We're one of the few teams in baseball that could take a chance on a guy like this. He's at a good age, he's lost the weight before, he's going to be frustrated and motivated to improve his standing, and we have nobody that's as good as 300+ lb Panda, let along 250 lb Panda (who can win MVPs). It's hilarious how short-sighted people are saying, "um no thanks." This is the kind of comeback player that would be a nice acquisition to help the team both short and long-term. And who thinks Panda couldn't put up a terrific batting line in the NL Central?

I'd only do it if the Red Sox also sent significant prospects our way. The more money we pick up, the better prospects we get. Since Boston probably isn't going to be willing to do that, there's no deal to be made.

5years to take on? No way. Can wait a year or even 2 to make the same deal. Different sport but Eddie Lacy shown how bad some extra weight can turn you. He's gotten back to a healthy weight thus far and Packer fans are enthused, months before he can prove the difference, which is plenty of time to regain all the weight back. I'd wait this season while letting the Cecchini/Walsh/Rivera experiment complete. We'll get to see Lacy's bod perform or not and can take a cue from there if trying to get Panda to slim down can lead to brighter days on his performance.

This rebuild is only to be 2seasons, 3 at latest, Panda's contract exceeds that. That is a risk not worth taking.

Pablo likely headed toward surgery. More likely he retires before ever getting traded.

Surgery for what? The Red Sox made up a phantom injury to put him on the DL. They're on the way to releasing him. I propose acquiring him cheap, then spinning him off next year. Might be able to get prospects out of both deals, assuming he commits himself. People are just assuming that because he's gained weight, that he won't commit himself to the sport. That's like saying that once people become wealthy, they just get lazy...no, they usually keep working their asses off

Pablo likely headed toward surgery. More likely he retires before ever getting traded.

Surgery for what? The Red Sox made up a phantom injury to put him on the DL. They're on the way to releasing him. I propose acquiring him cheap, then spinning him off next year. Might be able to get prospects out of both deals, assuming he commits himself. People are just assuming that because he's gained weight, that he won't commit himself to the sport. That's like saying that once people become wealthy, they just get lazy...no, they usually keep working their asses off

He has a shoulder injury and is seeing a second doctor for it. I don't know how serious it is, but I don't think it is fake. This also just isn't a guy who got a little fat. He supposedly gained 21 pound in 21 days! That is a serious issue and not just a "Go eat a salad Pablo" type fix. I see little to no upside even if his weight goes to a manageable side. He would still be very overweight and about to go on the wrong side of 30. Honestly he wasn't even that good before going to Boston. 2/3 of his last years in SF he had a WAR of about 2.

This all ignores the fact that sandoval himself doesn't see his weight as a problem. How can he commit to something when he doesn't accept that there is a problem? If he was an all star caliber player like 2 years ago, I might see the merit to something like this, but as it is he hasn't cracked an 800 ops since 2011, and his fielding is just plain bad. He's at an age and body shape where I wouldn't expect him to trend up. Its just a bad, unnecessary risk to hope he will get in shape AND play well enough to flip AND hope someone will want him.

Pablo would fit right in on a beer league team.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

The guy is worse than Walsh at third. He might be a slight upgrade over Carter, defensively, at first. To top it off, he can't hit anymore. He's a non-hitting DH. The Red Sox are better dumping his contract than giving up prospects to trade him-it's not like they can't afford it. The small chance that he can or even wants to bounce back isn't close to worth it to a team in our current circumstance. He's literally dead weight on a team that's going to have a lot of moving pieces by the time his contract expires. A hard pass.

The guy is worse than Walsh at third. He might be a slight upgrade over Carter, defensively, at first. To top it off, he can't hit anymore. He's a non-hitting DH. The Red Sox are better dumping his contract than giving up prospects to trade him-it's not like they can't afford it. The small chance that he can or even wants to bounce back isn't close to worth it to a team in our current circumstance. He's literally dead weight on a team that's going to have a lot of moving pieces by the time his contract expires. A hard pass.

That word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

That word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Figuratively literally? :laughing

I had a few beers celebrating the win... At least that's what I'll blame it on!

Archived