Brewer Fanatic

Ball & Glove Coming Back Full Time?

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I didn't even realize teams were allowed to wear a BP jersey during a regular season game. Strange.

I can think of a few times it's happened in recent years. There was a team (probably the Brewers) that wore them for a few games in a row because they could hit really well during BP but not during games and were hoping it was the jerseys.

I'd expect a fitted cap to cost significantly more than a "one size fits most" model. It appears that this cap costs three dollars more than the standard fitted caps.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

I`m pushing 50, so I fall into the demo that can rightly be accused of nostalgia for loving the ball and glove. But so what? Anyone who complains that going back to the ball and glove is living in the past is as demographically biased as I am, just in the opposite direction.

Have the Brewers ever really had a memorable logo other than that one? Does anyone for other than nostalgic reasons really admire any of the boring parade of M`s that have slogged their way through our collective memories? The ball and glove is the only original, memorable uni design element in Milwaukee sports history that I can think of. Why wouldn`t we exploit that?

I wouldn`t mind a color tweak at all. Maybe that`s how to link the present and past. But the ball and glove should come back for good.

I`m pushing 50, so I fall into the demo that can rightly be accused of nostalgia for loving the ball and glove. But so what? Anyone who complains that going back to the ball and glove is living in the past is as demographically biased as I am, just in the opposite direction.

Have the Brewers ever really had a memorable logo other than that one? Does anyone for other than nostalgic reasons really admire any of the boring parade of M`s that have slogged their way through our collective memories? The ball and glove is the only original, memorable uni design element in Milwaukee sports history that I can think of. Why wouldn`t we exploit that?

I wouldn`t mind a color tweak at all. Maybe that`s how to link the present and past. But the ball and glove should come back for good.

I've said it before, but I don't think they will ever shift to singular logo as "full time" as the thread title suggests. Right now you have the Barley logo as 1a and Ball & Glove as 1b considering as often as they wear it. It just makes way too much sense from a marketing/merchandising standpoint to have multiple logos. The Brewers can have their cake and eat it too by pleasing both sides currently. The only way I could see the Ball & Glove coming back as the primary logo would be if they retired the Barley logo and came up with another secondary logo to become the new alternate.

Gruber Lawffices

• 2 weeks later...
They wear the retro pinstripes on Fridays at home, but outside of that, my gut says that the players like the blue jerseys regardless of the logo.

Starting pitchers have been known to pick the day's uniform, but I don't think that's set in stone.

Here's how it typically works, according to Bill Schroeder's book.

When fans arrive at Miller Park, they often don’t know what jersey the Brewers will be wearing. Truth be told, neither do most of the players. “What most clubs do, and what we’ve done, is let the starting pitcher pick the jersey of the day,” [Tony] Migliaccio [Director - Clubhouse Operations] said. “I’ll ask him what he wants to wear and he gets to choose, but there are some restrictions when we are on the road. The home team gets first choice. If we are on the road and the club we’re playing— say it’s Pittsburgh, and they are wearing a black jersey— we will have to wear our gray uniforms. You can’t wear navy against black. MLB doesn’t like two teams with similar colors. So I’ll call their equipment guy and find out what color they are wearing. If they are wearing white, we can go with our gray or blue jersey. If we’ve won the last two games wearing gray, it’s usually gray.

“At home we have first crack. Every Friday is retro night, so we wear pinstripes. Years ago, we didn’t have so many options.”

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

Archived