Brewer Fanatic

Following 2014-15 (Now Ex-) Brewers, Both Major & Minor Leagues

Mass Haas
  • Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Former Brewer utilityman, Wisconsin native (he went to college at UW-La Crosse) and long time minor leaguer Vinny Rottino is still kicking around baseball.

Vinny is 36, and playing for the White Sox AAA affiliate in Charlotte. He is hitting .204 on 179 ABs.

Rottino last played in the majors in 2012 - for Cleveland - and has produced a robust .165 BA in 110 ABs over his brief major league career. He has played parts of 12 minor league seasons, 5 major league seasons, as well as a year in both Korea and Japan.

Rottino has carved a long career in baseball through his versatility - even this year, he's played LF, RF, 1B, 3B and catcher.

With a poor season at the plate, Vinny's career on the field may be winding down, but he seems like the type of guy who will step right into coaching - anything to stay in the game.

• 2 weeks later...
I didn't realize how brutal Prince has been this year.

I thought the Tigers were stupid to sign him to that contract...but for Texas to trade for that contract, with the two most valuable years already gone,while giving up Kinsler was dumb on epic proportions. Can't say I didn't see this coming.

Now it appears quite possible that Prince is done for the year, if not longer. If indeed that is the case, here's a quick and admittedly basic look at his pay and results:

As a Brewer: 7 years, 230 HR, total earnings of $34,914,500.

After being a Brewer, to date: 5 years, 89 HR, total earnings of $118,000,000.

Almost enough to make me wish he'd signed with the cubs or cardinals.

Khris Davis now with 25 HR and 67 RBI with over 2 months left. Last night he homered and doubled off of Yu Darvish. Explain to me again why they couldn't use his talents while the rebuilding was going on?

I said it last winter. Davis is one of the premier power bats in all of baseball. He should have commanded a lot more than they got back for him.

His OBP and defense are murder. Even with that power, his oWAR is 1.4 and his dWAR is -0.3. Clearly the OF plan hasn't happened because of injuries to Flores, Liriano and Santana (All of whom were better all-around outfielders than Davis). The return for him was not bad. This was a case of Davis being grossly overvalued by Brewers fans. Both Nottingham and Derby will be useful players going forward.

Khris Davis now with 25 HR and 67 RBI with over 2 months left. Last night he homered and doubled off of Yu Darvish. Explain to me again why they couldn't use his talents while the rebuilding was going on?

I said it last winter. Davis is one of the premier power bats in all of baseball. He should have commanded a lot more than they got back for him.

Do you realize there are other stats than home runs? Davis is awful in the of. He struggles to get on base. He struggles to hit for average. He has great power but that is it

Do you realize there are other stats than home runs? Davis is awful in the of. He struggles to get on base. He struggles to hit for average. He has great power but that is it

No, well yes. He realizes there is a stat called RBI. He likes to latch onto players then find an argument for them.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Verified Member
His OBP and defense are murder. Even with that power, his oWAR is 1.4 and his dWAR is -0.3. Clearly the OF plan hasn't happened because of injuries to Flores, Liriano and Santana (All of whom were better all-around outfielders than Davis). The return for him was not bad. This was a case of Davis being grossly overvalued by Brewers fans. Both Nottingham and Derby will be useful players going forward.

Wait. Flores, Liriano and Santana are ALL better than Davis? I don't think that is what you meant but that is what it sounds like you said. If that is what you meant, that is an interesting opinion.

Perhaps Santana has a chance to be a similar player to Davis at some point in his career.

I just meant that Stearns was planning on having a more athletic outfield (with Liriano and Flores) but it hasn't worked out. As a sum of their parts they had the potential to be better than Davis, Liriano was a top-100 prospect in 2014. I think 2015 would indicate the highest OBP Davis will ever have and I don't think that is what Stearns is looking for.

Yes, I have a stronger arm than he does and I'm a 62 year old lady! ;)

• 2 weeks later...
Noticed over the weekend that Alcides Escobar passed Rickie Weeks in career hits. Not something I ever expected to happen when both were still active, especially considering Weeks had about four years on him.

That's what'll happen when you spend half your career on the DL. Surprising nonetheless though.

Former Brewer Sean Halton is tearing up the independent Atlantic League. He's 5th in the league with a .942 OPS, and 2nd in HR with 20. Overall his numbers are .299/.359/.583 with 20 HR, and 60 RBI in 342 AB's.

Another former Brewer, Caleb Gindl, is also among the league leaders in several offensive categories in the Atlantic League. He's hitting .303/.369/.450 with 9 HR and 63 RBI. He leads the league in doubles with 31, and his 63 RBI rank 5th.

Hard to fathom these guys not finding their way back on to a AAA roster. Gindl turns 28 at the end of August. Halton recently turned 29.

Coincidently, Gindl and Halton are teammates with Lancaster which is managed by one time Red Sox 3B, Butch Hobson. Gindl and Halton were teammates both in Milwaukee in 2013 and in Nashville in 2012 and 2013.

Mitch Haniger continues to impress in his fourth game now in the big leagues. I'm not sure it's a fluke (well, he's not gonna hit .438...), but he looked really good in AAA this year with a .351/.437/.697 line and with 19 HRs and 49 RBIs in 64 games. Good for him.

Segura went 5/6 with 3 SB. I admit, I was very much expecting him to slow down after the all-star break and lower is BA to the .270-.280 range, but I guess that new stance may really be working out for him.

• 3 weeks later...

Hernan Iribarren is coming back to the majors. Hernan was called up by the Reds today. It's a long wait for Iribarren, who got into 24 games for Milwaukee in 2008-09. He hit .185 on 27 ABs during that timespan. He is now 32, and was hitting .327 for the Reds AAA farm club.

Congrats to Hernan.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2016/09/reds-designate-daniel-wright-for-assignment.html

I see that Logan Schafer has made his way back to the Big Leagues with the Twins.

Schafer, who turned 30 today, ended up in Indy Ball (Atlantic League) to start 2016 before getting a minor league deal with Minnesota after 17 games. He hit .264 for Rochester before getting called up a couple of weeks ago.

Good luck to Logan. Let's hope he can parley a good September into a chance at a job next year.

http://www.twincities.com/2016/08/29/twins-call-up-latest-indy-leaguer-in-logan-schafer/

Mitch Haniger continues to impress in his fourth game now in the big leagues. I'm not sure it's a fluke (well, he's not gonna hit .438...), but he looked really good in AAA this year with a .351/.437/.697 line and with 19 HRs and 49 RBIs in 64 games. Good for him.

Segura went 5/6 with 3 SB. I admit, I was very much expecting him to slow down after the all-star break and lower is BA to the .270-.280 range, but I guess that new stance may really be working out for him.

Interesting to see Haniger have such a monster year, looks like maybe he finally figured out how to put some of his tools to use. Banda continues to steadily climb the ladder for Arizona too. I think if they were still in our system they'd probably slot into that 11-15 range maybe?

Has also been fun keeping up on Segura this year. I thought his numbers would slide as the season wore on and pitchers had a chance to adjust but he's kept right on going. Good for him.

• 2 weeks later...

So, caddied yesterday for a father/son. suddenly we get in to a baseball discussion as son is checking Sun stats. We talk about being in the playoffs this week and me saying I am the proud owner of a Starling Marte DTD that's now 15days+. Thanks for leaving me with a waste of space. Father chimes in, well I am facing a team who has Jean Segura who has 6HRs this week. I tell him I don't think he had that many in a season last year or 2years ago. Well guy apparently was fibbing me Segura had 5HRs last week, but that's as many as 2014 and 1 less than 2015 seasons.

Want to hear something that makes you sick to your stomach. Not only is Segura owning 5WAR, but has grounded in to a Double Play 5 times this season in 642PAs!!! more than 3times better than as a Brewer.

Yet, somehow Arizona is behind Milwaukee in the standings having Paul Goldschmidt anchoring that lineup with Segura's production.

Carlos Gomez has an .899 OPS in 25 games since joining the Rangers.

87 ABs, 4 doubles, 6 HR, .276 BA, .370 OBP, .899 OPS.

His overall numbers (.664 OPS) still aren't good, but hopefully it lands him in a good place next year so he can rebuild his value.

Rangers have put him in the leadoff spot lately, and he's doing really well. The Rangers manager said the move calmed Gomez down - he's more focused when he knows his job is to get on base.

Archived