Brewer Fanatic

Segura's hot 2016 start

Segura has more extra base hits in 2 game so far than I think he had for about a 2 month stretch with the Brewers. If he all of a sudden figured out how to hit again this year that would kind of suck.

Why? We have a young prospect who people are very high on, a competent 3B at least defensively that we might be able to flip, and we haven't even got to see Anderson pitch a MLB season with the Brewers, a guy we have for a few more years. It was time for us to move on from Jean. He was that bad the last couple of seasons. Maybe he will have success elsewhere but it doesn't mean that it wasn't time.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Segura has more extra base hits in 2 game so far than I think he had for about a 2 month stretch with the Brewers. If he all of a sudden figured out how to hit again this year that would kind of suck.

He also had a couple defensive mistakes tonight that cost runs and might cost them the game. I'm not going to lose too much sleep over trading him regardless. He more or less has to keep his average up around .275 or better to have decent value and some years he will hit and some he won't.

Edit: according to my at bat app he just hit an inside the park HR and Schwarber got carted off the field on a stretcher after colliding with Fowler.

Why? We have a young prospect who people are very high on, a competent 3B at least defensively that we might be able to flip, and we haven't even got to see Anderson pitch a MLB season with the Brewers, a guy we have for a few more years. It was time for us to move on from Jean. He was that bad the last couple of seasons. Maybe he will have success elsewhere but it doesn't mean that it wasn't time.

Why because if he all of a sudden turned into All Star Segura again if the Brewers still had him they probably could flip him at the trading deadline this year and get a better package than they got.

That being said he was atrocious and had no issues with the trade. It would just be bad luck if all of a sudden he figured it out again (for more than 2-3 months).

Why because if he all of a sudden turned into All Star Segura again if the Brewers still had him they probably could flip him at the trading deadline this year and get a better package than they got.

That being said he was atrocious and had no issues with the trade. It would just be bad luck if all of a sudden he figured it out again (for more than 2-3 months).

Given the post about Segura changing his stance, it may not be luck. If the change was prompted by his new hitting coach, then it would be more of bad coaching from the Brewers.

In any event, the discussion here was that the Brewers got more than expected from AZ in this deal. So if Segura is better than we had anticipated, it just balances the deal.

After watching a couple of clips from him I don't see a noticeable different other than his hands don't look as busy. Maybe that is is slight enough to get him more consistent. I did notice that both homers he hit were at his chest so he did a nice job recognizing mistakes and hammered them but his second homer was nothing more than a fly ball to left-center. A normal LF catches that ball but any hitter will take it.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

After watching a couple of clips from him I don't see a noticeable different other than his hands don't look as busy. Maybe that is is slight enough to get him more consistent. I did notice that both homers he hit were at his chest so he did a nice job recognizing mistakes and hammered them but his second homer was nothing more than a fly ball to left-center. A normal LF catches that ball but any hitter will take it.

Segura's problem is his approach. Until he decides he's going to be more selective at the plate, he's not going to have much success. A change in stance isn't going to help that.

Personally, I don't care if he becomes a Hall of Famer, I was sick of watching him flail away at the plate without making an adjustment for three years so I'm glad he's gone.

Segura was 3 for 4 with a pair of runs, and another stolen base. He's got eleven hits, 5 straight multi-hit games to start the season, and a 1.613 OPS right now. That's more than he did in a few months last year (well, it seemed like it).

How long was his son battling the issues that cost him his life? I couldn't even imagine losing a child, especially one that had been fighting for their life. Add in that his boy was so young, that could have absolutely impacted his performance in the field. I'm just trying to understand this. How else can we account for his monstrous production to start the season. He's the only guy I can think of in the NL that's hotter than Trevor Story.

Though I wish he'd have done that more often here, I am happy to see him succeed. I've always liked Jean Segura, and wish him well. The man deserves some happiness in his life.

There are three things America will be known for 2000 years from now when they study this civilization: the Constitution, jazz music and baseball. They're the three most beautifully designed things this culture has ever produced. Gerald Early

Segura was 3 for 4 with a pair of runs, and another stolen base. He's got eleven hits, 5 straight multi-hit games to start the season, and a 1.613 OPS right now. That's more than he did in a few months last year (well, it seemed like it).

How long was his son battling the issues that cost him his life? I couldn't even imagine losing a child, especially one that had been fighting for their life. Add in that his boy was so young, that could have absolutely impacted his performance in the field. I'm just trying to understand this. How else can we account for his monstrous production to start the season. He's the only guy I can think of in the NL that's hotter than Trevor Story.

Though I wish he'd have done that more often here, I am happy to see him succeed. I've always liked Jean Segura, and wish him well. The man deserves some happiness in his life.

I agree with this 100%. Last year in one of the many discussions about Segura I said the man would never be the same here after such a personal tragedy and for his own sake I hoped they'd trade him. Clearly he needed a change of scenery and to get out of someplace he more than likely associated with the worst time of his life. I don't think it was the Brewer coaching who did him wrong, or the organization at all, I think the poor guy just needed a fresh start. I hope he does well. Except when he plays against us.

Could it be that Segura is just hitting well in a very small sample size?

This is most likely the answer. Last year through 5 games he hit .400/.471/.667/1.138. Through 11 games he hit .350/.381/.475/.856. By the end of the month he was hitting .279/.303/.360/.664.

It doesn't mean much yet but the big change in his actual stats is he is elevating the ball a lot more. He is a heavy heavy ground ball hitter who for this season is hitting the ball in the air a ton. I don't know if that is sustainable or not but my guess is it is not since it is out of line for even his good season.

Brew4U, I think it's a little optimistic to think we could flip Hill for something. Most likely he'll be either relegated to backup once Rivera gets a chance, or simply released.

Also, wanted to mention that if the Brewers' CF's were in the game the other night, Seggy's inside-the-park HR would have been an out.

Brewer Fanatic Staff
He also hit well last April. At this point it is utterly meaningless.

I really wish people would stop bringing up the sad situation with his son. He started sucking long before his son got ill.

Also, his best stretch of baseball that year was after his return (not immediately after, but a very solid six-week stretch during the second half).

Hope returns to all-star game many times in his career. I'm not going to waste time cheering against him. He wasn't in our plans. I love Diaz as a prospect & his skill set is much more suited for the way this team is being built. Right now I still take Scooters bat at 2nd over Segura's. Arcia is coming, we all knew Jean was going to be gone, I really don't think his success or failure is all that important

Proud member since 2003 (geez ha I was 14 then)

FORMERLY BrewCrewWS2008 and YoungGeezy don't even remember other names used

I'm not going to root against a guy just so it makes our end of a trade look better. I hope Segura has a great season and a great career.

Agreed. Good luck to Jean. Not his fault the 'crew traded him...and I supported the deal. Hopefully a win for all involved.

I'm not going to root against a guy just so it makes our end of a trade look better. I hope Segura has a great season and a great career.

Agreed. Segura had that great first season with the Brewers, and we traded him for some decent pieces. He went through some terrible personal tragedy, and I wish him the best.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Agreed. Segura had that great first season with the Brewers, and we traded him for some decent pieces. He went through some terrible personal tragedy, and I wish him the best.

He had a great first half of a season with the Brewers. He hit for crap after that.

1st Half .325 .363 .487 .849

2nd Half .241 .268 .315 .583

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

I don't really care what he does anywhere else because it was clear he was garbage with the Brewers and that was never going to change. So it isn't like if we held onto him he was going to get any better and change the return we got.

Archived