Brewer Fanatic

Stripling pulled from game while throwing a no-hitter in his debut

GAME05

Wow. Stripling pulled with a no-hitter after 7.1 with 100 pitches.

Edit: And Thatcher comes in and gives up a game tying home run to the next batter!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What a d-bag move by Roberts. I hope that they lose this game.

Edit: And Thatcher comes in and gives up a game tying home run to the next batter!

I disagree. Young pitcher, first start of the year had tommy john once already and has never thrown 100 pitches before. No way he is going to reasonably finish that game when he has 100 pitches and 5 outs to go. Roberts made an unpopular but pretty easy decision here.

I disagree. Young pitcher, first start of the year had tommy john once already and has never thrown 100 pitches before. No way he is going to reasonably finish that game when he has 100 pitches and 5 outs to go. Roberts made an unpopular but pretty easy decision here.

Exactly. It was the smart move. If he actually completed the no hitter he's probably around 130 pitches. Johan Santana or Bud Smith come to mind?

The biggest factor for me is the health of the pitcher. I think it was the right decision for that reason. He'd never thrown 100 pitches, he was pretty obviously tired and he's coming off kinda recent TJ. The win is secondary, although relevant, to me.

To me the only other possible choice would be to let him face one more guy and if he didn't get him to hit into a double play really early in the count pull him after that guy. Unless he throws a 1 or 2 pitch double play right there he wasn't going to finish the game.

I'd have given him a chance to get out of the inning in 2-3 pitches, but even then, suppose he goes into the 9th and the first batter gets into a deep count before striking out; you still risk him getting up to ~120 pitches without even walking anybody.

I'm tired of the pitch count police. Pitchers today throw fewer pitches than ever and still get injured at historic rates.

Pitchers should be removed from games when they are fatigued not when they reach some magical pitch count milestone.

I think it's fair to say that Stripling was fatigued. And it's smart on his part to know that it wasn't prudent for him to continue. There are still pitchers who like to cover things like that up.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

It was absolutely the right call, even with the benefit of hindsight. No-hitters are personal achievements and historical novelties. He was fatigued, so pulling him protected his long-term health, as well as gave them the best chance to win (despite the fact they lost the game).
Gruber Lawffices

I'm tired of the pitch count police. Pitchers today throw fewer pitches than ever and still get injured at historic rates.

Pitchers should be removed from games when they are fatigued not when they reach some magical pitch count milestone.

He was fatigued. He told his manager so.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

To pile on....... this was absolutely the right call. It's early in the season for one thing, and you're not 100% stretched out yet.

Secondly, it was going to take at least 15 - 20 pitches to finish the game, and that's if everything went right. 120 pitches+ is just not a smart way to start the year.

If this was a Cole Hamels or a Clayton Kershaw or a Madison Bumgarner, sure if they say they're good to go, you let them stay out there and finish it off.

I find myself wondering if some of these more analytic driven front offices and coaching staffs aren't (if they haven't already) working on more advanced systems of limiting pitcher stress. More than just pitch counts and innings pitched but something like the frequency of times a pitcher hits "high stress" pitches, or counting the number of time they go over "X" number of pitches, and assigning values to these things and just tracking it over the course of a season. Not saying it would make a difference in pitcher injuries, but I'd be curious if there's a team or team that's trying this sort of thing.

I find myself wondering if some of these more analytic driven front offices and coaching staffs aren't (if they haven't already) working on more advanced systems of limiting pitcher stress. More than just pitch counts and innings pitched but something like the frequency of times a pitcher hits "high stress" pitches, or counting the number of time they go over "X" number of pitches, and assigning values to these things and just tracking it over the course of a season. Not saying it would make a difference in pitcher injuries, but I'd be curious if there's a team or team that's trying this sort of thing.

I don't know how sophisticated the analysis might be, but Roenicke talked about it, and Counsell's talked about it. Basically, if the pitcher's having an easy go of it, he can throw more pitches and more innings. If he's having a tougher time, he should be pulled earlier. Jungmann was pulled after 80 pitches the other day because he worked hard to get there. If a starter isn't allowing base runners, staying out of the stretch, and not having to throw his fastball at full speed, leaving him in a little longer than anticipated shouldn't hurt.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

He was fatigued. He told his manager so.

I have no problem then. If it was "he's at 100 pitches get him out," that would be dumb in my view.

Archived