Brewer Fanatic

Schwarber Out for Season...

Funketown

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Just sayin'...

http://www.trbimg.com/img-5602be61/turbine/redeye-competitive-eaters-eat-30-pound-goat-br-001/650/650x366

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Feel bad for the guy. Fun to watch hit. Don't feel bad for the Cubs as an organization. I hope they lose every game much like the Cardinals.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Will this really hurt them that much? He's got a lot of potential in that bat but he can't play defense at any position.

Neither could Fielder.

You can hide a guy at first. You can't really in the outfield and certainly not behind the plate. I don't think Schwarber is anywhere near the hitter Fielder was either.

Cubs certainly have a lot more depth this year. They can go with Zobrist and Soler and not lose too many wins overall. But one of the keys to their success last year was health. Now it's apparent already that they won't be that lucky this year. Another big injury and it will start to hurt them in the W column.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Will this really hurt them that much? He's got a lot of potential in that bat but he can't play defense at any position.

Neither could Fielder.

You can hide a guy at first. You can't really in the outfield and certainly not behind the plate. I don't think Schwarber is anywhere near the hitter Fielder was either.

Being versatile enough to play multiple positions shouldn't count against him. If he was as terrible as Prince they would have had to hide him like we did Prince. Since he wasn't he can play in other spots where his offense offsets his defense at an acceptable level.

There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

Verified Member

Neither could Fielder.

Fielder didn't strike out 33% of the time.

Being versatile enough to play multiple positions shouldn't count against him. If he was as terrible as Prince they would have had to hide him like we did Prince. Since he wasn't he can play in other spots where his offense offsets his defense at an acceptable level.

If it wasn't for Rizzo, Schwarber would be playing 1B. His "versatility" is out of necessity not ability.

Schwarber was projected to be 2-3 WAR this season. In his prime, Prince was 4-5. They are not the same class of player.

If it wasn't for Rizzo, Schwarber would be playing 1B. His "versatility" is out of necessity not ability.

Schwarber was projected to be 2-3 WAR this season. In his prime, Prince was 4-5. They are not the same class of player.

What do you think Prince's WAR would have looked like if he had to catch or play in the outfield? Just one more example of WAR being misused. Which is why I think WAR is worse than useless.

There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

Neither could Fielder.

Schwarber's at least as good as Fielder, maybe better. Schwarber's minor league OPS was 1.042. Fielder's was .921. Schwarber's a modern day Ruth. Cubs still have plenty of talent but Schwarber's was special, and everyone around Cubs knows it. There will be a psychological impact too. Helps Brewer pitchers who can now work around Rizzo.

Schwarber's at least as good as Fielder, maybe better. Schwarber's minor league OPS was 1.042. Fielder's was .921. Schwarber's a modern day Ruth. Cubs still have plenty of talent but Schwarber's was special, and everyone around Cubs knows it. There will be a psychological impact too. Helps Brewer pitchers who can now work around Rizzo.

I think comparing Schwarber to Babe Ruth might be just a tad hyperbolic.

What do you think Prince's WAR would have looked like if he had to catch or play in the outfield? Just one more example of WAR being misused. Which is why I think WAR is worse than useless.

Well let's just look at offense then. Prince's Brewers OPS is almost 100 points higher than Schwarber's so far. And it's irrelevant what Prince's WAR would be had he played outfield because he didn't. Schwarber has to because they have a great 1B and two much better defensive catchers. They are both DH's forced to play the field but Prince had the good fortune of playing a position where his lack of defensive skills hurt the team less.

I think those Schwarber projections on Fangraphs seem a bit pessimistic. Just for the sake of comparison:

Schwarber age 22: .246/.355/.487 (half-season)

Fielder age 22: .271/.347/.483 (full-season)

Granted, Fielder's improvement by age 23 was extraordinary, but I think projecting Schwarber for .260/.360/.520 wouldn't be ridiculous.

I'm sure if Kyle had played in the minors when he was 18, 19 years old his cumulative OPS would not have been as good.

And comparing him to Babe Ruth? Really?

I never agree with Briggs, but Schwarber's swing looks a ton like Babe Ruth's swing...who knows what his results will eventually be, and he did hit just .243 last year, but I hate that he is out for the year because I really loved watching that kid swing - it was/is a special stroke.

Definitely hurts the Cubs. Feel bad for Schwarber, but screw the Cubs and their fans.

On that note, I find your handle to be hilarious. I picture you having typed in 'cubssuck' and 'cubsblow' and thinking, 'No, just not strong enough' and then typing 'cubsdie' and thinking 'perfect.'

I never agree with Briggs, but Schwarber's swing looks a ton like Babe Ruth's swing...who knows what his results will eventually be, and he did hit just .243 last year, but I hate that he is out for the year because I really loved watching that kid swing - it was/is a special stroke.

I mean if you want to compare swings and body types then yeah it's a fine comparison and maybe that's all he meant. But talent wise? Nope.

Archived