Brewer Fanatic

Link Report for Friday 4/8

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Salas solid on the mound as Shuckers slap around Lookouts, 6-2

Patrick Magee, Biloxi Sun-Herald

http://www.sunherald.com/latest-news/42lpbb/picture69511997/ALTERNATES/FREE_960/0814_bisp_phillips08.jpg

Shuckers center fielder Brett Phillips hit a two-run home run Friday night in a 6-2 win over the Lookouts at MGM Park. John Fitzhugh Photo, Sun Herald

BILOXI – New Shuckers right-hander Javi Salas appears set to make a quick adjustment to Double-A.

Salas allowed one run on two hits and struck out eight while walking none in 5 2/3 innings Friday night to pick up the win in Biloxi's 6-2 victory over the Chattanooga Lookouts.

Biloxi holds a 2-0 lead in the season's opening series thanks to some impressive pitching. The Shuckers' hurlers have allowed only seven hits through 18 innings after the Lookouts picked up only four Friday night.

Salas didn't allow a hit until Lookouts designated hitter Stuart Turner, a former Ole Miss standout, doubled to start the sixth inning.

“I felt good. I felt prepared, ready to go,” Salas said. “I had a good spring and I just wanted to carry it over to my first start. I used my defense a lot. I tried to get everyone involved a little. They played great behind me today and I just kept the game flowing.”

Salas, a University of Miami product, was 8-8 with a 4.13 ERA in 24 appearances, 22 starts, a year ago at Class A Brevard County (Fla.).

Salas kept the Lookouts frustrated through the first five innings as the Chattanooga dugout constantly harassed home plate umpire Skyler Shown.

“They were a little chirpy. (Shown) was giving me a low strike zone and that's perfect for me,” Salas said. “I wasn't complaining.

“I'm a sinker guy. My sinker felt good in the bullpen so I threw it a bunch today. They hit some balls into the ground. That's my game.”

Salas said he didn't shake off catcher Jacob Nottingham the entire night.

“He was awesome today,” Nottingham said. “He was commanding all three of his pitches and kept a great pace. I think he threw the ball as good as he could have. I thought he did tremendous.”

For the second consecutive night, the Shuckers put up a three-spot in the first inning.

Nate Orf and Brett Phillips had back-to-back doubles with one out to push across the first run and Nottingham followed with a two-run blast to deep center for his first homer as a Shucker to make it 3-0.

The homer was Nottingham's first hit for Biloxi.

“I knew I hit it good,” Nottingham said. “I didn't know how far or what it was going to do, but it felt great. It's good to get that first hit, even better that it's a home run.”

Nottingham also homered to center in Saturday's exhibition game against the Milwaukee Brewers.

“I'm trying to hit in the gaps. I don't want to think about pulling the ball,” Nottingham said. “If I'm hitting it (to center), everything is going good.

Chattanooga ended a 14-inning scoreless streak to start the series on an RBI groundout by Zach Granite to score Turner with two out in the sixth.

Chattanooga catcher Mitch Garver hit a solo homer to right to cut the Biloxi lead to 3-2 in the top of the seventh, but Biloxi's Victor Roache answered with his own solo homer to right in the bottom of the inning to push the Shuckers' advantage to 4-2.

Phillips added some cushion to the Biloxi lead in the eighth when the left-handed batter went opposite field with a two-run homer over the left field wall.

“Our guys swing it. We're not scared to do that,” Nottingham said. “We're going to put together good at-bats and try to be hard outs. If you put the ball in play, good things will happen.”

Chattanooga starting pitcher D.J. Baxendale (0-1) settled in after the rough first inning, holding the Shuckers scoreless over the next five innings.

Baxendale, a former Arkansas star, allowed three runs on six hits in six innings, striking out five and walking none.

Biloxi reliever Daniel Tillman registered a hold, giving up one run on two hits in 2 1/3 innings. He struck out three and walked none.

Jaye Chapman pitched a perfect ninth in his first appearance of the season for Biloxi.

The attendance for Friday night's game was 2,439.

The Shuckers will host the Lookouts (0-2) for game three at 7:10 p.m. on Saturday.

Right-hander Adrian Houser will get the start for Biloxi and Chattanooga will go with left-hander David Hurlbut.

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Final: Memphis 2, Colorado Springs 1

Before we go to the game summary, let's just say this Josmil Pinto 9th inning at bat was not what the doctor ordered --

Col. Springs Top of the 9th

Pitching Change: Juan Gonzalez replaces John Church, batting 9th.

Andy Wilkins walks.

Jake Elmore grounds into a force out, shortstop Alex Mejia to second baseman Dean Anna. Andy Wilkins out at 2nd. Jake Elmore to 1st.

Shane Peterson walks. Jake Elmore to 2nd.

Garin Cecchini singles on a line drive to right fielder Carlos Peguero. Jake Elmore to 3rd. Shane Peterson to 2nd.

Josmil Pinto strikes out swinging.

Offensive Substitution: Pinch-hitter Will Middlebrooks replaces Jacob Barnes.

Will Middlebrooks pops out to catcher Mike Ohlman in foul territory.

Sky Sox Fall 2-1 In Pitchers Duel

Junior Guerra's quality start not enough as Sox bats silenced

By Aaron Cheris / Colorado Springs Sky Sox

To be fair to Pinto, you just read at that link that he contributed both offensively and defensively before the fateful 9th.

Colorado Springs Box Score

Guess we'll mention again that Michael Reed is a LF now? (Yes, small sample size...)

Six different Sky Sox drew a walk apiece.

Garin Cecchini off to a 3-for-6 start.

Colorado Springs Game Log

Just silly having Junior Guerra bunt here. Miscommunication from the bench?

Col. Springs Top of the 5th

Garin Cecchini singles on a ground ball to center fielder Charlie Tilson.

With Josmil Pinto batting, passed ball by Mike Ohlman, Garin Cecchini to 2nd.

Josmil Pinto lines out to second baseman Dean Anna.

Junior Guerra out on a sacrifice bunt, third baseman Jacob Wilson to second baseman Dean Anna. Garin Cecchini to 3rd.

Alex Presley called out on strikes.

Oh well, tough one for the kid here --

Col. Springs Top of the 8th

Pitching Change: John Church replaces Dean Kiekhefer, batting 9th, replacing Patrick Wisdom.

Offensive Substitution: Pinch-hitter Eric Young Jr. replaces Brooks Hall.

Eric Young Jr. walks.

With Alex Presley batting, wild pitch by John Church, Eric Young Jr. to 2nd.

Alex Presley walks.

Orlando Arcia grounds into a double play, shortstop Alex Mejia to second baseman Dean Anna to first baseman Jonathan Rodriguez. Eric Young Jr. to 3rd. Alex Presley out at 2nd.

Michael Reed grounds out, third baseman Jacob Wilson to first baseman Jonathan Rodriguez.

Community Moderator

Final: Daytona 10, Brevard County 4

Manatees fall in front of record crowd

by Michael Parsons, Florida Today

Will also post the link to our newest friend of the Link Report Don Rieber Jr.'s article when it is available at the Examiner.com site.

Brevard County Box Score

Record crowd at Space Coast Stadium for the Manatees home opener, 4,897 was the reported attendance. Oh, and not to rub it in T-Rats, but the game time temp was 80 degrees.

Last night eight different Manatees starters recorded hits and tonight it was eight hits spread across seven starters.

The Manatees did manage to draw six walks led by two from first baseman Dustin DeMuth.

The extra base hits were off the bats of George Iskenderian (double) and Fidel Pena (home run). Pena made his Brewers organizational debut in this game. The 24-year old former Diamondbacks farm hand from the Dominican Republic was behind the plate catching in this game, but gives the Manatees plenty of versatility with his ability to play around the infield (primarily 2B and 3B) as well as the outfield (LF).

The lone BC multi-hit game was shortstop Angel Ortega, 2-for-4, including a line drive to center field that knocked in a run.

Manatees pitchers Zach Hirsch and Josh Uhen each threw 3.0 innings and tallied 50 pitches apiece. Hirsch gave up six runs (four earned) on six hits and two walks with one strikeout through his three innings. Uhen, a 2013 5th rounder out of UW-Milwaukee, faired much better in his three innings of work giving up just one hit and two runs with one hit batter and three strikeouts.

A rough night for the Manatees defensively around the dirt.

E: Iskenderian (1, fielding); Brennan (1, fielding); DeMuth (1, missed catch).

Brevard County Game Log

The Manatees three run frame came in the 4th, highlighted by George Iskenderian's two RBI double off Daytona starter Tyler Mahle.

Brevard County Bottom of the 4th

Dustin DeMuth walks.

Clint Coulter hit by pitch. Dustin DeMuth to 2nd.

George Iskenderian doubles (1) on a line drive to center fielder Jonathan Reynoso. Dustin DeMuth scores. Clint Coulter scores.

Pitching Change: Seth Varner replaces Tyler Mahle.

Fidel Pena pops out to first baseman Avain Rachal in foul territory.

Taylor Brennan flies out to left fielder Angelo Gumbs.

Angel Ortega singles on a line drive to center fielder Jonathan Reynoso. George Iskenderian scores. Fielding error by center fielder Jonathan Reynoso.

Omar Garcia grounds out, third baseman Taylor Sparks to first baseman Avain Rachal.

Left fielder Omar Garcia ends the bleeding in the 7th inning with a friendly reminder to use the cut-off.

Daytona Top of the 7th

Pitching Change: Junior Rincon replaces Josh Uhen.

Angelo Gumbs singles on a ground ball to left fielder Omar Garcia.

With Taylor Sparks batting, wild pitch by Junior Rincon, Angelo Gumbs to 2nd.

Taylor Sparks reaches on a missed catch error by first baseman Dustin DeMuth, assist to pitcher Junior Rincon. Angelo Gumbs to 3rd.

Avain Rachal flies out to right fielder Clint Coulter.

Garrett Boulware walks. Taylor Sparks to 2nd.

Blake Butler out on a sacrifice fly to right fielder Clint Coulter. Angelo Gumbs scores.

Jonathan Reynoso doubles (2) on a ground ball to left fielder Omar Garcia. Taylor Sparks scores. Garrett Boulware out at home on the throw, left fielder Omar Garcia to shortstop Angel Ortega to catcher Fidel Pena.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

A Short, Miserable Night in Beloit

Wisconsin Boxscore

As noted earlier in the thread Isan Diaz had a really nice game at the plate, hitting a HR in these conditions is pretty damn impressive.

Rattler batters were 7-22 in the game which was a huge step up from yesterday's display and only struck out 3 times, unfortunately the pitching was fairly poor.

Marcos Diplan struggled with his control most of the game, he was 0-2 on the first batter and ending up hitting him with the next pitch which pretty much set the tone for his evening. Quintin Torres-Costa wasn't any better on the mound or fielding his position, and while the defense behind him was poor he wasn't missing many bats tonight.

Last year I talked about how Sthervin Matos has all the tools a player could want but makes inexplicable errors in pretty much all facets of his game, and tonight was no different, he started the error parade with an ill advised attempt to cut down the lead runner at 3rd on a sacrifice. He'll make plays at 3B that wow you (playing 1B this season with Gatewood there), he's got wonderful potential as a fielder, but the silly mistakes need to stop. Though I guess it doesn't matter if he doesn't find some consistency at the plate this season. All told 4 T-Rats combined for 5 errors in just 5 innings.

At least the Rattlers managed to start the bus trip home about an hour sooner than they otherwise would have even with the delays.

Wisconsin Recap

Very busy as you can imagine given 14 runs in 5 innings, it got pretty ugly after the light delay.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

VIDEO: Jacob Nottingham slugs his first Double-A homer for Biloxi against Chattanooga

BOOM!

This link is for Brett Phillips 1st of season and what an oppo shot! Seems like plenty of power there!

Proud member since 2003 (geez ha I was 14 then)

FORMERLY BrewCrewWS2008 and YoungGeezy don't even remember other names used

Archived