Brewer Fanatic

BF.net Fan Community Top 25 Prospects - 2016 Pre-Season Edition

One month into the season and most of our top prospects haven't done much to take that next step forward. I know it's only one month in which is nothing, but it raises eyebrows that so many of our top 25ish have performed so poorly. Really, outside of Arcia each one is off to a terrible start. here's hoping they are continuing to work through their struggles and improve.

TOP 25ish

Phillips- .250 BA and .388 SLG in AA

Lopez- just under a 9 ERA

Hader- dominating, albeit in AA and having large pitch counts knocking him out early

Taylor- .581 OPS

Nottingham- .169 BA and his .553 OPS is lower than Taylor's OPS- yikes!

Medeiros - through 5 starts, like Lopez, just under a 9 ERA

I.Diaz - had a multi-hit game yesterday moving his BA above the Mendoza line

Gatewood- no walks, and with his homer yesterday, boosted his SLG% to a robust .326 and has 31K in 92AB to boot

Harrison- .167BA/.218SLG/.435OPS makes Gatewood look like Ichiro worsting him with 32K in only 78AB

Coulter- supposed to have this big power- well, his 2nd HR yesterday moved his SLG% to above .300

Davies - getting blown up in 3 MLB starts

Reed - although getting on base, not showing the power we hope he would develop (0HR)

Houser- 7.20 ERA

Broxton- Ks are still a problem, was demoted to AAA

Rivera- as advertised- good D, terrible hitter in PH opportunities

Roache- ditto to Coulter, but only 1 HR so far in Biloxi

Neuhaus- was off to a great start than got injured

Denson- 0HR and .328 SLG

Jungmann- although not technically a prospect, still one of our young projectable talents and has been atrocious at the MLB level, was demoted and had an equally horrid start in Colorado.

Flores- using his opportunity to showcase a hollow bat

THE GOOD- SOME OF OUR LOWER PROSPECTS ARE PERFORMING WELL

Johnny Davis' bat is doing well, though he's 26 in A+

Stokes, M. Diaz, F. Peralta, Diplan, Ortega, Wang all solid starts

Woodruff and Derby have been lights out

STILL WAITING

Demi, D. Williams, Clark, Ponce, Lara, Kirby, Liriano, T. Williams

This was a tough read.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Zach Davies passed the career 50 IP mark, making him ineligible for the mid-season prospect list.

http://www.lf.k12.de.us/decc/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/kindergarten-graduation-clipart-dc758MKc9.jpeg

I think Magnifico and Barnes could be added to the good.

I think Magnifico and Barnes could be added to the good.

Relievers don't get a lot of love - it's hard to get too excited about them. Magnifico has had some support in the past, and if he keeps things up, I wouldn't be surprised to see him sneak into the Top 25.

Obviously, some of the short ball players will get attention once they start playing, but I think Crash2303 hit on most of the others - Miguel Diaz, Freddy Peralta, Diplan, Wang, Ortega, Derby, Woodruff.

The hitters are pretty uninspiring. Betancourt had a nice average, but has slumped lately.

I'm wondering who's going to go into the tank - Tyrone Taylor just keeps getting worse. A lot of guys have just been 'meh'.

Still, we have to remember a good week or two can change a guys numbers pretty quickly this early in the year.

Zach Davies passed the career 50 IP mark, making him ineligible for the mid-season prospect list.

http://www.lf.k12.de.us/decc/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/kindergarten-graduation-clipart-dc758MKc9.jpeg

Tyler Cravy (or Crazy) did as well.

Tyler Cravy (or Crazy) did as well.

Tyler got as high as #15 on our Top 25 prospect poll.

• 2 weeks later...

Diplan & Peralta maybe Gatewood & Denson have most helium as prospects right now in lower levels. In my eyes, Diplan is pushing past Devin Williams & Mederois (get Williams has been hurt & Kodi at same age is pitching at a higher level but minus opening day where he pitched in 28 degrees, snow, and 20+ mph wind, he has been electric and pure dominate). We are just getting to know Peralta but what an impression he is making!

Gatewood is learning to take a few walks away from sky rocketing up the list.... Denson is moving back to 1st base away from being a real prospect.... He doesn't have a real future here in the OF.... He can't even touch field defensively for T Rats. I don't understand the decision to move him off of 1st. Good news his bat is where we hoped it'd get back to. Now needs to start flashing more pop.

Belonis & Rubio deserve some considerations for late votes.

Perrin is an acceptance letter from Harvard Law School from retiring. Interesting arm though. Woodruff in AA will tell us a lot about him.

Proud member since 2003 (geez ha I was 14 then)

FORMERLY BrewCrewWS2008 and YoungGeezy don't even remember other names used

I wonder if that played into his early promotion(Perrin)? Normally I think they would have kept him there most of the season to see how he does.

Possible, but I think it's more likely pushing a college pitcher. Time is not on their side.

• 2 weeks later...

Ramon Flores has reached 130+ plate appearances, and is thus no longer eligible for our prospect list. Flores peaked at #37 in his only Top 25 poll this past spring.

Well done, Ramon. Now start hitting the ball

• 2 weeks later...
Community Moderator
Junior Guerra is no longer eligible for the BF.net prospect poll, crossing the 50 IP mark for his career.

Junior never received any votes in our polls, so it just goes to show you how much we all know :)

To be fair he is 31 years old and was acquired off waivers in the off-season. I wouldn't necessarily classify it as a "miss" on our part!

Not just “at Night” anymore.

Junior Guerra is no longer eligible for the BF.net prospect poll, crossing the 50 IP mark for his career.

Junior never received any votes in our polls, so it just goes to show you how much we all know :)

To be fair he is 31 years old and was acquired off waivers in the off-season. I wouldn't necessarily classify it as a "miss" on our part!

No, it was all in good fun.

No 31 year old guy is really a 'prospect' for us. The best you can really hope for is a reserve or reliever - which isn't much. If he actually turns into a decent starter for a few years, that's the outlier and something you can never really predict.

Are we planning on updating this at midseason?
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Are we planning on updating this at midseason?

If I remember right I think we opted for one midseason list update after the trading deadline. But maybe I was wrong.

There is no set date, but I am thinking we'll wait until the trade deadline this year.

One year we waited until after the deadline, the other we did it at the all-star break.

If you wait until after the deadline, you, obviously, get any new guys added (or lost) to the system involved in the voting. You also get all the new draft picks and short season ball players a little more exposure to the voters. However, if you wait too long, you also get to the point where the minor leaguers are almost done for the year. This makes the 'mid-season' list and the 'post season' list not that much different.

My inclination this year is to wait until we reach the trade deadline. With all the uncertainty of things, I think there could be a lot of trades, and I don't want to start voting, then have a bunch of deals happen mid-way through things. It would just be confusing.

I'll leave the door open to doing something earlier, just in case the Brewers go wild and trade all their chips early, but I think the trade deadline is the wisest thing this year.

I would expect to do all the voting the first week of August.

Pretty sure I have Corey Ray at #2 behind Arcia. Very excited about him. Ercig, Feliciano and the college pitchers will need hot starts and good reports if they hope to crack my top 20. So much depth in the system. We also improved the breadth considerably with all the catchers and corner infielders we drafted.

I agree we should wait until after the Trade deadline for the next ranking. Then the next would be after Fall instructs and the AFL wraps up.

Here's a question...Top 30?

I will probably just keep it at 25.

My main concern is that some people just don't go that deep regarding the minor league players, and I don't want to discourage participation. Plus, 30 guys means more work tabulating results, writing up blurbs on more guys, etc.

Of course, this me doing things. If someone wants to take over and run things differently, I'm okay with that.

To me Ray would still behind a few guys, due to them being proven & close in age....similar ceiling.

1. Josh Hader

2. Orlando Arcia

3. Brett Phillips

4. Jorge Lopez

5. Jacob Nottingham

I think those are pretty clear cut top 5 (my opinion) all are AA, have had good production, are 21-23, and have great ceilings. I know Phillips average & Ks have shot up, Nottingham had absolutely brutal start, and Lopez has yet to find his dominant command in Colorado but they all I think are top 5.

Ray could easily slot in at #6. Right now the 4 other guys I'd still slot in top 10 are

6. Corey Ray

7. Cody Ponce

8. Gilbert Lara

9. Trent Clark

10. Marcos Diplan

Rest of these guys are 11-25 in my opinion (not in order)

Isan Diaz

Kodi Mederios

Jake Gatewood

Monte Harrison

Devon Williams

Freddy Peralta

Clint Coulter

Nathan Kirby

Demi Orimoloye

Luke Ergec

Korbin Burns

Brenden Webb

Brandon Woodruff

Michael Reed

Miguel Diaz

Taylor was pushed off, I honestly don't know if we will figure out AA. Unlike Coulter, he doesn't have a major tool or tools to keep him on list. While disappointing, Coulter still has plus power & his Arm is unbelievable

Proud member since 2003 (geez ha I was 14 then)

FORMERLY BrewCrewWS2008 and YoungGeezy don't even remember other names used

I bet Cody Ponce is going to get a ton of love this time around. He is pitching finally and I think he is going to put up great numbers at Brevard. Wouldn't be surprised to see him shoot up rankings.

Jorge Lopez should be an interesting case. Do people give him a pass being at Colorado or do people drop him way down?

Jacob Nottingham has thankfully improved lately with the bat. Would be nice to find an update on his defense though.

Still a lot of time before we vote and we get to watch rookie ball players a bit before voting.

Archived