Brewer Fanatic

2016-04-08 Astros (Feldman) at Brewers (Anderson), 7:10 PM CDT [Brewers win, 6-4]

1992casey

BREWERS WIN!!!! 2-2!!!

Jeffress don't pump your first too hard. If you want to be a closer in this league you have to be able to throw strikes.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Dude on MLB network is complaining about the rule. Somehow, Harold Reynolds is the voice of reason.

EDIT: Wait, never mind, now Reynolds is complaining about the rule, too.

I think the rule in this case is stupid. It was designed to prevent really late high slides by morons like Coghlan and Utley. I didn't really see what Rasmus did as dangerous or an intent to injure an opposing player.

Also, DFA Freeman.

Interesting that Schroeder seemed to hint that the rule wouldn't last the season and Gennett also seemed to despise it after the game. It may be a little much when the runner wasn't even in the same zip code as the fielder, not really the purpose of the rule being implemented. But it's the rule on April 8, 2016 and was called correctly. We'll take the choke-stopper and only remember the first 8 innings.

Sure these guys need to understand the rule change but I don't like this aspect of the rule. Rasmus went to the outside and Gennett was inside. There wasn't even intent to break up the double play. I would be much happier if he rule were changed that if the runner makes contact with the infielder then he must maintain the base.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dude on MLB network is complaining about the rule. Somehow, Harold Reynolds is the voice of reason.

I think the rule in this case is stupid. It was designed to prevent really late high slides by morons like Coghlan and Utley. I didn't really see what Rasmus did as dangerous or an intent to injure an opposing player.

Also, DFA Freeman.

How do you regulate that though? Asking the ump to decide intent is pretty hard to do. Especially when most players try to disrupt the throw to some degree.

There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

Also, DFA Freeman.

How do you regulate that though? Asking the ump to decide intent is pretty hard to do. Especially when most players try to disrupt the throw to some degree.

Well, is it really that much to ask that they do? Especially when they can look at replay afterwards? Why not just make it an automatic review on plays like that? I don't like that a runner can be nowhere near the fielder (like Rasmus) and be called out because he slid past the base. That's stupid. And yeah, you can say know the rule but even if you do know the rule and you do that, do you seriously think a player is going to think they're violating a rule by doing what Rasmus did?

I understand the call when Bautista did it against the Rays but that was completely different because Bautista stuck his hand out and grabbed the fielder's ankle. That's interference and an automatic double play, new rule or not. This was Rasmus sliding like 5 feet away from Gennett and just going past the base.

It says a lot that Gennett seemed to think the rule, at least the way it was called tonight was stupid when the rule was put in place to protect him.

Gennett added ten pounds of muscle in the offseason, and each of his first two home runs have been bombs.

Nice to see us scoring some runs in the win. I don't care as much if we have a losing record if the games are fun to watch, and if Santana, Braun, Carter and Gennett keep depositing the ball in the second deck, I think we're all going to have some fun!

There are three things America will be known for 2000 years from now when they study this civilization: the Constitution, jazz music and baseball. They're the three most beautifully designed things this culture has ever produced. Gerald Early

Sure these guys need to understand the rule change but I don't like this aspect of the rule. Rasmus went to the outside and Gennett was inside. There wasn't even intent to break up the double play. I would be much happier if he rule were changed that if the runner makes contact with the infielder then he must maintain the base.

But what was his intent? Players slide to bases in an attempt to be called safe or to avoid overrunning the bag. Rasmus didn't even bother to make contact with the bag. I think the number of times a player makes a legitimate slide and fails to maintain control of the bag is going to be quite small. These are professional athletes. I expect they should be able to dive at a stationary object on the ground and make contact with it. How often do you see a player miss 3rd base entirely? Or even second when the runner feels they have a legitimate chance of beating the throw or there won't be a play at first. I don't think I've ever seen it. It seems we are simply asking them to slide in a manner consistent with the reason they are supposedly sliding in the first place, regardless of whether or not they feel it is a lost cause from the start. Ever seen a football player, upon realizing the end zone was likely out of the question, turn back and start stiff-arming anyone he could find? No, they run for as much as they can. The fielder could drop/bobble the ball, and the runner might even end up safe, assuming he bothered to wave hello to the base as he sails past.

Sorry for the rant, but I guess I've always found going out of your way, lessening your chance of being called safe because you found your odds unfavorable from the start as obnoxious/childish as a player not running out a pop-up or Arod attempting to slap the ball out of a players hands. Hustle and accept defeat of it comes.

This is really no different than the touch rule in basketball or the various rule changes in football. You see it called a bunch early in the year and then the players get trained not to do it and it becomes a non issue. Players just have to break their old habits and it will take a while.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Just what ender said. As the players realize how tightly this rule is going to be applied, they will adjust. They won't have a choice. As others have said, regardless of what rasmus' intent was, he was nowhere even near the bag. This is not an issue is he's on the base. Not only that, but what if the throw is bobbled or dropped? Don't you want to, you know, be ON the base in that kind of situation? Since rasmus was oversliding to the opposite side it made absolutely zero sense.

I don't think the new rule will take away my enjoyment of the game, and I'd be ticked if someone took out Arcia breaking up a double play so I'm fine with it.

Something seems shortsighted and reactionary about Hinch and Keuchel complaining about a 10% loss of win probability due to rule designed to protect middle infielders when they have the most valuable middle infielder in the game. Should have spent more time in spring training make sliding within the rules habitual.

To me the 2b slide rule should be a nonissue, just like the home plate collision rule last year should have been a nonissue. Take out slides and home plate collisions arent part of the amateur game ranks for good reason, and it shouldn't be in the pro game, either.

I think the last part of the 2nd base slide rule that needs to be reviewed is eliminating the proximity allowance that umps give the benefit of the doubt to middle infielders being on the bag when they catch the ball before turning the dp. If they want players to slide into the bag, the defender needs to at least be touching it when he catches the ball. The reason takeout slides have gotten so out of hand is how much leeway middle infielders have gotten when turning the dp.

Provisional Member
To me the 2b slide rule should be a nonissue, just like the home plate collision rule last year should have been a nonissue. Take out slides and home plate collisions arent part of the amateur game ranks for good reason, and it shouldn't be in the pro game, either.

I think the last part of the 2nd base slide rule that needs to be reviewed is eliminating the proximity allowance that umps give the benefit of the doubt to middle infielders being on the bag when they catch the ball before turning the dp. If they want players to slide into the bag, the defender needs to at least be touching it when he catches the ball. The reason takeout slides have gotten so out of hand is how much leeway middle infielders have gotten when turning the dp.

Since when was breaking up a double play not part of the amateur game?

I think as long as the runner is able to touch the base, stays low, and doesn't make excessive contact beyond the base, there should be no issue/need for this over-the-top rule as it is now. Anything beyond those criteria should be a judgement call by the umpire. I realize it's not cut and dry, but much like the NFL catch rule, people (for the most part) know what is and what isn't a clean slide. We don't need over-regulation to muddy up the game.

That has been addressed with the rule change. Fielders now have to touch the base and it is reviewable.

The Indians broadcasters were having an interesting discussion about the play today and I feel they made a good point. Villar had no intention of trying to throw to first base. Even if he did it wasn't going to be close even if Rasmus just ran out of the base path instead of sliding. Can you really call a guy out when the defense makes no effort to actually get him out?

Archived