Brewer Fanatic

Link Report for Thursday 4/7 - Play Ball! Birthday Boy Josh Hader starts for Shuckers

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Final: Biloxi 4, Chattanooga 0

Shuckers shutout Lookouts in season opener

Josh Hader, Drew Gagnon and Tristan Archer combine for three-hit shutout

Biloxi Shuckers

(See, that wasn't bad, just click and read, right?) ;)

Biloxi Box Score

50/50 for Brett Phillips here:

SB: Wren (1, 2nd base off Wheeler, J/Turner); Phillips (1, 2nd base off Wimmers/Turner).

CS: Phillips (1, 2nd base by Wheeler, J/Turner).

Jacob Nottingham drew the Shuckers' only walk.

Biloxi Game Log

If Nate Orf can play a bit of capable shortstop, his utility belt becomes that much more valuable. Javier Betancourt was a late defensive sub --

Chattanooga Top of the 8th

Pitching Change: Tristan Archer replaces Drew Gagnon.

Defensive switch from shortstop to second base for Nate Orf.

Defensive Substitution: Javier Betancourt replaces second baseman Christopher McFarland, batting 9th, playing shortstop.

All five teams in the Shuckers' division are NL teams, and six in the ten-team league overall. But this is a DH series, and Victor Roache drew that straw tonight.

84 pitches (54 strikes) in four innings for Josh Hader. Nice work by RHP Drew Gagnon, who was in the AAA rotation for much of last season, struggling badly. RHP Tristan Archer had a tremendous end to his Brevard County campaign in 2015, allowing only 1 R in his final 25.1 IP (7 multi-inning pen outings). Five of six outs on the ground for Archer in this one (one K).

Tyrone Taylor played RF, we've read that Phillips will see "some time" in right as well.

LH bats Nick Ramirez and Nick Shaw did not start against the southpaw starter. Betancourt, still just 20 years old until next month, is a RH bat. At-bats could be tough to find for Shaw, but an early-season shuffle to spread the AB's is customary.

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Shuckers shut down Lookouts in season opener, 4-0

Patrick Magee, Biloxi Sun-Herald

PHOTO GALLERY AT LINK as well

BILOXI — The first game of the 2016 season went about as well as the Biloxi Shuckers could have expected.

Biloxi jumped out to a 3-0 lead after one inning and cruised to a 4-0 victory over the Chattanooga Lookouts on Thursday night before a crowd of 2,542 at MGM Park.

Three Shuckers pitchers combined to hold Chattanooga to just three hits while striking out 11 and walking three.

Biloxi starting pitcher Josh Hader threw only threw four innings, but he was effective while he lasted. The lefty allowed two hits in four innings, striking out five and walking three.

Hader didn’t always have full control, but he had to battle through taking a line drive off his back in the top of the fourth.

Biloxi manager Mike Guerrero noted that Hader was probably a little more excited than usual considering he turned 22 Thursday and it was opening day.

“I thought Hader had good stuff, but he didn't command the ball the way he's used to,” Guerrero said. “He threw the ball well.

“I think he was a little excited out there on opening day. You'll see him. He'll get better.”

Biloxi relievers Drew Gagnon and Tristan Archer combined to throw five scoreless innings, allowing just one hit.

Gagnon (1-0) picked up the win with one hit allowed in three innings of work. He struck out five and walked none.

“I think our bullpen save us,” Guerrero said. “Gagnon did a great job and Archer did a great job. Five scoreless out of the bullpen, that's pretty good.”

Shuckers left fielder Kyle Wren put pressure on the Lookouts all night long out of the leadoff spot with a 3-for-4 effort at the plate with two runs scored.

He singled in the first. He beat out a grounder to first in the third. He reached on a bunt single in the fifth and took second on a throwing error by Chattanooga second baseman Levi Michael.

“It's a nice way to start any time you get three hits in the first game,” Wren said. “After you push through (that first game), you can settle in and relax up there.”

Wren spent the first half of the 2015 season in Biloxi before moving up to Triple-A in Colorado Springs. He appeared determined Thursday to make sure his second stint in Biloxi won’t last long.

“The Brewers let me know I was going back to Double-A. That is a little bit of motivation,” Wren said. “I'm trying to do the exact same thing I did last year - set the table, get on base, steal bases and play good defense. Hopefully, this is a short stint and I'll be back at Triple-A.”

Chattanooga starting pitcher Jason Wheeler had Biloxi’s number in 2015, winning the Southern League Championship Series MVP by leading the Lookouts to a 3-2 series win over Biloxi.

The Shuckers got to Wheeler early Thursday, putting up three runs in the first inning.

Wren and Nate Orf singled to start the first and Garrett Cooper later brought home the two men with a two-out single to right for the 2-0 lead.

Victor Roache pushed across the third run by bringing home Jacob Nottingham from third on a ground-rule double to deep center field.

Wheeler settled down to last five innings, but the Shuckers got to him one more time in the fifth on an RBI single to right by Brett Phillips to bring home Wren from third.

Wheeler (0-1) allowed three earned runs on four hits while striking out five and walking one in five innings.

Orf was the only other Shucker with multiple hits, going 2-for-4 with one run scored.

Thursday’s game was the first of a five-game series against the Lookouts. Game two is set for 7:10 p.m. Friday at MGM Park.

Brewer Fanatic Staff

The Timber Rattlers' own game summary is now available --

Rattlers drop game to Snappers to start 2016

Beloit takes advantage of early walks for 2-1 win

By Chris Mehring / Wisconsin Timber Rattlers

Three nice Midwest League debuts for the relievers, including this introduction --

Beloit Bottom of the 3rd

Trent Gilbert reaches on a fielding error by second baseman Tucker Neuhaus.

Skye Bolt walks. Trent Gilbert to 2nd.

Brett Siddall strikes out swinging.

Pitching Change: Scott Grist replaces Jake Drossner.

Santiago Chavez grounds into a double play, shortstop Isan Diaz to second baseman Tucker Neuhaus to first baseman Alan Sharkey. Skye Bolt out at 2nd.

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Final: Colorado Springs 4, Memphis 3

Sky Sox Win Opening Day Thriller

Three late runs off Memphis bullpen give Sky Sox 4-3 win to start the season

By Aaron Cheris / Colorado Springs Sky Sox

Nice rally indeed. I saw a tweet after the Brewers' win Wednesday that it doesn't get better in baseball than a 4-3 win. From a fan perspective, you can understand why - just enough offense, defense and pitching, a perfect entertainment mix...

Colorado Springs Box Score

Six different Sky Sox drew walks, and their eight hits went to eight players, talk about sharing the love! All ten position players who saw plate appearances reached at least once.

Shouldn't Shane Peterson have started in left and Michael Reed in right instead of vice-versa?

BASERUNNING

SB: Middlebrooks (1, 2nd base off McGuire/Ohlman); Elmore (1, 2nd base off Gonzalez, Ju/Ohlman).

CS: Reed, M (1, 2nd base by McGuire/Ohlman).

Despite the SB, sorry Will Middlebrooks, but in these non-DH games, Garin Cecchini needs to start at third base. Cecchini's late triple was big (defense tonight, too)..

Josmil Pinto the only position player not to see action here.

Zach Davies looked just as you all remembered him from last September, just a joy to watch him work.

Nice to see David Goforth's strong work, it'd be great to see him dominate for a while before his next big league chance; still think he has a chance to stick the next time he lands in Miller Park.

Colorado Springs Game Log

Don't be mad, Andy, your team just grabbed the lead!

Col. Springs Top of the 9th

Matt Williams remains in the game as the left fielder.

Pitching Change: Sam Tuivailala replaces Juan Gonzalez, batting 9th.

Manny Pina strikes out swinging.

Garin Cecchini triples (1) on a line drive to right fielder Carlos Peguero.

Eric Young Jr. reaches on a fielder's choice, fielded by second baseman Dean Anna. Garin Cecchini scores.

Orlando Arcia walks. Eric Young Jr. to 2nd.

Michael Reed flies out to right fielder Carlos Peguero.

Andy Wilkins called out on strikes.

Memphis Bottom of the 9th

Colorado Springs Sky Sox first baseman Andy Wilkins ejected by HP umpire Alex Ortiz.

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Photos from the Brevard County game via Lola Gomez of the Daytona News-Journal:

Third baseman Jose Cuas in his Sea Cow debut

http://g52-dnweb.newscyclecloud.com/apps/pbcsi.dll/bilde?Site=DN&Date=20160407&Category=SPORTS&ArtNo=407009996&Ref=PH&Item=26&NewTbl=1&Maxw=603&MaxH=452&q=90

Also debuting, Blake Allemand eating some dirt...

http://g52-dnweb.newscyclecloud.com/apps/pbcsi.dll/bilde?Site=DN&Date=20160407&Category=SPORTS&ArtNo=407009996&Ref=PH&Item=16&NewTbl=1&Maxw=603&MaxH=452&q=90

One more High-A debut, second baseman George Iskenderian

http://g52-dnweb.newscyclecloud.com/apps/pbcsi.dll/bilde?Site=DN&Date=20160407&Category=SPORTS&ArtNo=407009996&Ref=PH&Item=3&NewTbl=1&Maxw=603&MaxH=452&q=90

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Final: Daytona 5, Brevard County 4, ten innings

Brevard County drops season opener in 10 innings

Donald Rieber, Jr., Manatees Examiner

Much appreciated detailed write-up from Don...

Brevard County Box Score

Despite the loss, all online reports indicate this was a bomb --

Dustin DeMuth hit a skyrocket home run that sailed well over the center-field fence, with Blake Allemand on first after beating out an infield single.

Entering just his age 22 season, catcher Dustin Houle doubled twice and walked. Telling you now, Houle will be added to the 40-man this fall (he was Rule 5-eligible last December).

SB: Diaz, B (1, 2nd base off Paulson/Tromp); Garcia, O (1, 2nd base off Ehret/Tromp).

This is going to be one of the more athletic Manatee teams we've seen. And despite the 0-for-5, welcome back, Johnny Davis...

Shiny line for starter Brandon Woodruff, including an 8:2 GB:FB ratio.

Hello, Mr. Backstop -- combined seven wild pitches in the game.

Brevard County Game Log

Just painful to read the wasted Brevard opportunities in the first four innings.

Speaking of painful, at least the contact play happened with one out, not no outs. Still a brutal frame here -- yikes.

Brevard County Top of the 10th

Dustin Houle walks.

Offensive Substitution: Pinch-runner Omar Garcia replaces Dustin Houle.

With Jose Cuas batting, Omar Garcia steals (1) 2nd base, . Omar Garcia advances to 3rd, on a throwing error by catcher Chad Tromp.

Jose Cuas grounds out, pitcher Jacob Ehret to first baseman Avain Rachal.

Angel Ortega reaches on a fielder's choice out, third baseman Taylor Sparks to catcher Chad Tromp. Omar Garcia out at home.

Brandon Diaz strikes out swinging.

Brewer Fanatic Staff
Come on board!

If you'd like to be a Link Report contributor, feel free to drop me a note via this Brewerfan Forum private message link.

In particular, we're seeking "part-time" contributors who can job-share when others need much-deserved time off. At most, you'd be responsible for linking to a single box score / game log / game summary for the night, and (hopefully) pointing out any specifics of interest in the box that the summary may have overlooked.

Thanks.

Reminder, thanks!

No need to get worried about Monte and his 3 k's...i blame it all on this crap April weather in these parts

Yeah hard to take results to seriously when game time temps are in 30s with 15-20mph winds. He destroyed the ball all spring in warm weather, hard to adjust from 70-80 to 30-40 with snow. By next weekend it should be back in 60s so that will be good for the kids

Proud member since 2003 (geez ha I was 14 then)

FORMERLY BrewCrewWS2008 and YoungGeezy don't even remember other names used

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Dear Link Report,

I've missed you.

Homer

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

I just tweeted out that @TeesReport (Don Rieber, Jr.) is an excellent follow. He's a journalist we've linked to in the past, and we'll likely be referencing him often in the wake of the demise of the Brevard County broadcast budget.

I just wanted to thank all of you that followed last night on Twitter. I am glad to see that there is still interest in the team, given the current situation. I also want to thank Jim for sharing my articles with all of you.

This is my second (and likely final) season, covering the Manatees. I do not normally travel to cover the team, but I am at the majority of home games and I would expect to have quotes from Ayrault in most articles. Players are always great to have and I will do that as often as I can. My articles are usually done when I return home from the game, but there are times that they won't be done until the following morning.

If there is anything I can help with, please let me know. I will do my best to get answers for you, but honestly, this season will likely be tricky, at least early on, with all the changes. It is going to be an adjustment period for me all over again.

Thank you all for your time. I look forward to interacting with you, throughout the season.

Don Rieber - Brevard County Manatees Examiner

http://www.examiner.com/manatees-in-orlando/donald-rieber-jr

I watched about 20 minutes of the Biloxi game last night, and have a couple of thoughts:

-Hader's control is fine, but his command still needs work. He was racking up deep pitch counts on almost every batter. With his stuff, he should be attacking the zone, not trying to be too fine around it. Also didn't see much as far as being able to get his breaking ball on opposing RHBs' back foot. He might have just not had a feel for the pitch yesterday, so I'm not too worried.

-Orf made a nice play at short, snagging a ball hit up the middle, running to second to get one out and then throwing to first to complete the double play. His range looks more like effort range than natural range. Don't think I'd want him playing too much shortstop in Milwaukee, but what gets to, he gets. Arm is definitely a few notches below Arcia/Rivera.

-Taylor looked completely lost in the two ABs of his that I saw. I think he looks a little bigger than last year, though.

Final: Colorado Springs 4, Memphis 3

Sky Sox Win Opening Day Thriller

Three late runs off Memphis bullpen give Sky Sox 4-3 win to start the season

By Aaron Cheris / Colorado Springs Sky Sox

Nice rally indeed. I saw a tweet after the Brewers' win Wednesday that it doesn't get better in baseball than a 4-3 win. From a fan perspective, you can understand why - just enough offense, defense and pitching, a perfect entertainment mix...

Colorado Springs Box Score

Six different Sky Sox drew walks, and their eight hits went to eight players, talk about sharing the love! All ten position players who saw plate appearances reached at least once.

Shouldn't Shane Peterson have started in left and Michael Reed in right instead of vice-versa?

BASERUNNING

SB: Middlebrooks (1, 2nd base off McGuire/Ohlman); Elmore (1, 2nd base off Gonzalez, Ju/Ohlman).

CS: Reed, M (1, 2nd base by McGuire/Ohlman).

Despite the SB, sorry Will Middlebrooks, but in these non-DH games, Garin Cecchini needs to start at third base. Cecchini's late triple was big (defense tonight, too)..

Josmil Pinto the only position player not to see action here.

Zach Davies looked just as you all remembered him from last September, just a joy to watch him work.

Nice to see David Goforth's strong work, it'd be great to see him dominate for a while before his next big league chance; still think he has a chance to stick the next time he lands in Miller Park.

Colorado Springs Game Log

Don't be mad, Andy, your team just grabbed the lead!

Col. Springs Top of the 9th

Matt Williams remains in the game as the left fielder.

Pitching Change: Sam Tuivailala replaces Juan Gonzalez, batting 9th.

Manny Pina strikes out swinging.

Garin Cecchini triples (1) on a line drive to right fielder Carlos Peguero.

Eric Young Jr. reaches on a fielder's choice, fielded by second baseman Dean Anna. Garin Cecchini scores.

Orlando Arcia walks. Eric Young Jr. to 2nd.

Michael Reed flies out to right fielder Carlos Peguero.

Andy Wilkins called out on strikes.

Memphis Bottom of the 9th

Colorado Springs Sky Sox first baseman Andy Wilkins ejected by HP umpire Alex Ortiz.

Wilkins was rung up earlier in the game on a pitch that was a foot off the plate and let the umpire know about it. He vented in the 9th.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Davies with 8K/1BB in 5IP and 86 pitches. Nice.

Woodruff also with a nice start. Then the BP blew up.

Houle and Cuas are guys to watch in Brevard. Houle doubled his pleasure last night. Would be nice to have Nottingham and Houle come up as #1 and #2 in a couple years.

Hader says, look at me with 5Ks in 4IP. Gagnon says, I can do that in 3IP.

Rattler's had an interesting stat line:

- in 28 ABs, they had 11Ks and 5 BBs

- No one that walked struck out (and vice versa). Everyone struck out or walked at least once.

- 5 people Ked; 4 people BBed.

Archived