Brewer Fanatic

Interesting Brewer/Hunter Pence/ Domingo Santana link

This is nothing more than an observation but is applicable to this series. I was watching opening day with some family members and we were talking about Hunter Pence and we could not remember which team he played for between Houston and San Francisco. So off to the baseball-reference worm hole and low and behold, it was Philadelphia. Upon further examination of Pence's BBref page, specifically the transactions page, it turns out he was traded by Houston to Philadelphia for, amongst other players, Domingo Santana, my new favorite Brewer. Of course, further examination yet shows that Pence was originally drafted by the Milwaukee Brewers but did not sign, before going back into draft and heading to Houston.

So there you have it. Pence, originally drafted by Brewers was once traded for Domingo Santana but in a transaction between Philly and Houston.

That is all.

"A Phillies official admitted that Santana wasn’t actually supposed to be on the list that was given to the Astros to pick from to satisfy the final piece on Aug. 15, 2011.”

This was subsequently vehemently denied by Ruben Amaro, but it's fun to consider as possible.

This would be so awesome if it was true. Except maybe if you're a Phillies fan. I really wish there was some way to prove it true.

Astro telecast had a trivia question over the weekend about which Astro, drafted by the Brewers in 2002, was a two time All Star for the Astros.

A further Brewer connection was that Pence was taken out of a game at Miller Park when the trade to Phillies was completed. Pence at the time was the face of the franchise for Houston and his trade along with the one for Michael Bourn completed the bulk of the dismantling of that franchise from which it took another 4 years to recover.

"A Phillies official admitted that Santana wasn’t actually supposed to be on the list that was given to the Astros to pick from to satisfy the final piece on Aug. 15, 2011.”

This was subsequently vehemently denied by Ruben Amaro, but it's fun to consider as possible.

This would be so awesome if it was true. Except maybe if you're a Phillies fan. I really wish there was some way to prove it true.

While not technically proof, it was Ruben Amaro, so it was likely.

Archived