Brewer Fanatic

2016 Random MLB News & Notes Thread

I think "with purpose" is appropriate because he obviously had some kind of reason, albeit misguided. "Impulsive" may be the best way to describe this.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply
To be fair, this in no way affected the outcome of the play. Doesn't look like the guy at 2nd slowed down his throw at all and he was still there to catch the ball at 1st, guy would've been safe anyway, but that is a very weird situation and I don't blame Hurdle for getting ejected because [expletive deleted by moderator] was that ump doing.

Jeff Passan opened up his article about Tony LaRussa with this paragraph.

Tony La Russa, a convicted drunk driver who managed one of the most steroid-addled clubhouses in modern baseball history and today oversees an organization that at the trade deadline passed along to multiple organizations private medical information about a player it wanted to deal, spent Wednesday playing moralist, a role that suits him about as well as chief baseball officer for a major league franchise.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/the-hypocrisy-of-tony-la-russa-and-the-understandable-fears-of-black-baseball-players-045857175.html

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Jeff Passan opened up his article about Tony LaRussa with this paragraph.

Tony La Russa, a convicted drunk driver who managed one of the most steroid-addled clubhouses in modern baseball history and today oversees an organization that at the trade deadline passed along to multiple organizations private medical information about a player it wanted to deal, spent Wednesday playing moralist, a role that suits him about as well as chief baseball officer for a major league franchise.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/the-hypocrisy-of-tony-la-russa-and-the-understandable-fears-of-black-baseball-players-045857175.html

Just awesome.

Last night, Ortiz received the phone that he broke in the visiting dugout at Camden a few years back. Thought that was pretty funny. On an unrelated note I find it slightly amusing that this guy gets a send off and everyone seemingly loves him even though his name once popped up on a PED list and he said some pretty dicey things about the situation...unless I'm misremembering. No one raked him over the coals.

Last night, Ortiz received the phone that he broke in the visiting dugout at Camden a few years back. Thought that was pretty funny. On an unrelated note I find it slightly amusing that this guy gets a send off and everyone seemingly loves him even though his name once popped up on a PED list and he said some pretty dicey things about the situation...unless I'm misremembering. No one raked him over the coals.

Been saying that for years. It's completely swept under the rug for him and he's going to walk into the HOF no questions asked. And he failed that test back when people were using real steroids, not the supplements now. He was a dud early in his career and gets cut, then gets paired up with Manny and all of a sudden he's good. Then a few years back he fell off the cliff and couldn't hit for about 2 years, then all of a sudden gets it back at age 37ish. I mean, this guy would be the most obvious example someone could use.

Another guy I think who will walk into the HOF is Pudge Rodriguez.

Bartolo Colon is another example of a known PED guy that everyone loves. Plus he has lots of other shady stuff in his background.

Personally, I don't care about PEDs. I'm just pointing out the media hypocrisy of who to blow up (Braun, Arod) and who they ignore.

This is the Brewers' triple play history. You'll likely need to scroll horizontally to see everything.

[pre]Date Inn Against Play Defensive Players Batter Runner on 1st Runner on 2nd Runner on 3rd Def. Pitcher Def. Catcher

2016-09-23 1 Reds 3-3-6 Chris Carter 1b Joey Votto Scott Schebler José Peraza Zach Davies Andrew Susac

Orlando Arcia ss

2016-04-29 5 Marlins 5-4-3 Aaron Hill 3b Marcell Ozuna Christian Yelich Martin Prado Zach Davies Jonathan Lucroy

Yadiel Rivera 2b

Chris Carter 1b

2011-08-15 2 Dodgers 4-6-3-2 Josh Wilson 2b James Loney Juan Rivera Matt Kemp Randy Wolf George Kottaras

Yuniesky Betancourt ss

Prince Fielder 1b

George Kottaras c

2009-09-06 6 Giants 5-4-3 Casey McGehee 3b Aaron Rowand Ryan Garko Randy Winn Braden Looper Jason Kendall

Felipe Lopez 2b

Prince Fielder 1b

1999-04-16 7 Cubs 5-4-3 Jeff Cirillo 3b Benito Santiago Glenallen Hill Sammy Sosa

Fernando Vina 2b

Sean Berry 1b

1997-07-28 (gm 2) 4 Blue Jays 5-4-3 Jeff Cirillo 3b Alex Gonzalez Benito Santiago Ed Sprague

Mark Loretta 2b

Dave Nilsson 1b

1979-05-16 2 Angels 5-4-3 Sal Bando 3b Bobby Grich Carney Lansford Joe Rudi

Paul Molitor 2b

Cecil Cooper 1b

1971-04-28 3 Red Sox 6-4-3-2 Rick Auerbach ss Billy Conigliaro Don Pavletich George Scott

Ted Kubiak 2b

Mike Hegan 1b

Ellie Rodriguez c

Date Inn Against Play Defensive Players Batter Runner on 1st Runner on 2nd Runner on 3rd Def. Pitcher Def. Catcher[/pre]

As a side note, all three of the Red Sox involved in the 1971 triple play were traded to the Brewers following the season.

The Brewers have four of the last thirty triple plays in MLB. The White Sox have three of the last seven.

Now the question is, how many pitchers have thrown 2 triple plays? :)

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

That's pretty neat but I'm unsure if MLB would go for without trying it in the minors on a pilot run. Plus, I doubt the umpire's association would sign off on it.

It's best chance is an independent league taking a chance with it for a season, really.

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

I just took a look at ESPN's Brewer pitching stats. They indicate that Brent Suter has 261 pitches per start and that Tyler Cravy has 393 pitches per start. Obviously, there's a flaw in their formula.

In addition to Suter and Cravy, Chase Anderson has also appeared as both a starter and a reliever. I'd assume that his 88 pitches per start is also off.

That's pretty neat but I'm unsure if MLB would go for without trying it in the minors on a pilot run. Plus, I doubt the umpire's association would sign off on it.

It's best chance is an independent league taking a chance with it for a season, really.

If no jobs are lost, they might go for it.

I'm sure the purists would hate it though.

Chris Archer is gunning for his 20th loss tonight, despite the fact that he has a 4.02[space][/space]ERA, a 3.78[space][/space]FIP, a 1.24[space][/space]WHIP, a 100[space][/space]ERA+, 194[space][/space]IP, 228[space][/space]K's, and 3.0[space][/space]BB/9.

Chris Archer is gunning for his 20th loss tonight, despite the fact that he has a 4.02[space][/space]ERA, a 3.78[space][/space]FIP, a 1.24[space][/space]WHIP, a 100[space][/space]ERA+, 194[space][/space]IP, 228[space][/space]K's, and 3.0[space][/space]BB/9.

Holy crap. I didn't realize that.

Even with the loses, how does bWAR have him at 1.6 WAR. That seems awfully low.

I agree that the umps blew it (both the initial call & early exit from field) but it took Price 33 seconds (per Brian Kenny) to come out of the dugout & start looking to challenge the call. If he was paying any attention at all he would've been out of the dugout before Carpenter ever crossed home plate.

I agree that the umps blew it (both the initial call & early exit from field) but it took Price 33 seconds (per Brian Kenny) to come out of the dugout & start looking to challenge the call. If he was paying any attention at all he would've been out of the dugout before Carpenter ever crossed home plate.

It was ridiculous that Price took that long to get out there. He should have done that immediately.

Why do they have to challenge after the 6th? Did that rule change?

Edit: Nevermind. The crew chief cannot request a replay if the team has challenges remaining.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

Archived