Brewer Fanatic

2016 Random MLB News & Notes Thread

Bench coach Gene Lamont became the acting manager. That wouldn't necessarily mean that he manned the phone or the lineup card.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Bench coach Gene Lamont became the acting manager. That wouldn't necessarily mean that he manned the phone or the lineup card.

Ya, Lamont became the manager but if you watch the highlights you'll see some random guy making changes to the posted lineup card and on the phone for a replay. Seems like one of the other coaches could have handled those duties.

Ya, Lamont became the manager but if you watch the highlights you'll see some random guy making changes to the posted lineup card and on the phone for a replay. Seems like one of the other coaches could have handled those duties.

Perhaps a trainer was lending a hand...

Jason Heyward's OBP is .316

Jason Heyward's SLG is .316

That's not very good.

Minutely worse now (lower OBP, higher SLG, overall -.003, sitting at .629)...

... but B-R.com has him as a 0.9 WAR player on the season and Fangraphs has him as a 1.3 WAR player.

I know that he is an above-average defender, but is replacement-level that bad this year?

Jason Heyward's OBP is .316

Jason Heyward's SLG is .316

That's not very good.

Minutely worse now (lower OBP, higher SLG, overall -.003, sitting at .629)...

... but B-R.com has him as a 0.9 WAR player on the season and Fangraphs has him as a 1.3 WAR player.

I know that he is an above-average defender, but is replacement-level that bad this year?

He's simply an amazing RF, worth nearly 2 wins on defense alone (which has been pretty consistent over the course of his career). That's mostly counteracted by his bat this season, but not quite. He's been basically a league average player this year, all things considered.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

Ok, I know he's on the hated Cardinals and all, but I find it very amusing that Matt Carpenter yells "Got it!" pretty much any time there is a foul ball hit in his direction, no matter how hard it's hit or how deep it is in the stands (or, at least he was doing that during last nights game)...and does it with a completely straight face.

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

I am not sure how to link, but the Astros got hosed on a HORRIBLE call by Joyce and his crew. They go to review on the play, but can't review the obvious mistake they made. Doesn't make much sense. Hopefully, it doesn't cost the Astros in their playoff race.

What I find funny is Jim Joyce calls time, but the 'play' is still live. Why did he decide to let 2 players cross and then call time? I am pretty sure I read the bases were loaded. The first 2 runs counted and they made the other guy stop at 2nd even though no one went to go get the ball that was still laying there because it was clearly a foul ball.

What I find funny is Jim Joyce calls time, but the 'play' is still live. Why did he decide to let 2 players cross and then call time? I am pretty sure I read the bases were loaded. The first 2 runs counted and they made the other guy stop at 2nd even though no one went to go get the ball that was still laying there because it was clearly a foul ball.

That is the most confusing part. He said he called time because no one was going after the ball and he didn't want the runners to keep running. Which to me means he know he blew the call. If he thought he made the right call why would he care if the defense wasn't making an effort.

[sarcasm]I think weve just found out the new best defensive strategy. Dont go after the ball and umps will stop the play because they dont want runners to run when nobodys going for the ball![/sarcasm]
Remember what Yoda said:

"Cubs lead to Cardinals. Cardinals lead to dislike. Dislike leads to hate. Hate leads to constipation."

That is the most confusing part. He said he called time because no one was going after the ball and he didn't want the runners to keep running. Which to me means he know he blew the call. If he thought he made the right call why would he care if the defense wasn't making an effort.

If that's the reason he gave then he needs to be suspended. Truly disgusting and worse than the actual play itself. Impossible no ump saw the ball bounce in the dirt then hit a bat, which also happens to be 3' in front of the catcher

I find it interesting that Jason Heyward has the lowest OPS (.605) of all regular starting position players for the Cubs who are 40 games over .500. I ceased to follow other teams' forums years ago but I wonder if his production causes the angst around there that the same player would here?

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

I find it interesting that Jason Heyward has the lowest OPS (.605) of all regular starting position players for the Cubs who are 40 games over .500. I ceased to follow other teams' forums years ago but I wonder if his production causes the angst around there that the same player would here?

I've only been to Cubs' boards a few times this year, but from what I've seen, yeah, they hate his guts.

I look at nsbb often. I don't have a problem with the Cubs as much as others, and my grandma is a lifelong Cubs fan, so that's probably why. But to answer your question, they went through a faze where they really went after him and his sucktitude. His defense is great though, so some people laid off the guy.

My computer is too crappy to try to post a link to it but in yesterday's Pirates game the first base umpire literally grabbed their second baseman as he went to cover first on a double play. The runner was barely safe at first and a run scored that wouldn't have had the batter been out at first. The SS hesitated for a split second because there was no one at first probably preventing the double play. After Hurdle making the umps talk about it they let it go. I'm not sure how or if there is a rule covering umpires intentionally interfering with a play but it was truly bizarre. You can tell the rest of the crew was baffled as well because while Hurdle was really giving it to the umpire they just mingled about with the players. Normally the crew chief or someone else would try and get Hurdle away but they all just stood there and watched.

The only video of the play I could find, it cuts in right as Porter's hand is on the arm/shoulder of Frazier. I can't tell if they just got tangled up going to the same place at the same time with Frazier coming from his blind side, or if he grabbed Frazier on purpose as you stated. I would tend to think accident, but if solid video proof shows it was intentional like you said, there is no justification for such action, and in my opinion should result in termination.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
My computer is too crappy to try to post a link to it but in yesterday's Pirates game the first base umpire literally grabbed their second baseman as he went to cover first on a double play. The runner was barely safe at first and a run scored that wouldn't have had the batter been out at first. The SS hesitated for a split second because there was no one at first probably preventing the double play. After Hurdle making the umps talk about it they let it go. I'm not sure how or if there is a rule covering umpires intentionally interfering with a play but it was truly bizarre. You can tell the rest of the crew was baffled as well because while Hurdle was really giving it to the umpire they just mingled about with the players. Normally the crew chief or someone else would try and get Hurdle away but they all just stood there and watched.

This was so weird. The video is not good on it, but it looks like the ump just grabbed the pirate 1B. I assume the ump reached out and just hooked the pirates fielder. Just bizarre looking. I'd like to see good video of the play.

Nothing about either of those shots looks even a little accidental. It wasn't just a collision where they were both running to the same spot he clearly reached out and grabbed the player. I can't think of any reason for an umpire to do that. I'm not accusing him of cheating or malice but what he did there was clearly with purpose.

Archived